Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Lack of appreciation for baseball's history - My rant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
If you aren't buying to flip and make a profit in the near future, then you simply aren't a prospector. You are just a guy who collects Phillies cards and sells them sometimes.

I just sold the Ruf in my signature for $300. While I made a NICE ROI for 2 weeks (trust me, if I could pull that kinda ROI in, I'd quit my job), I really liked that card and didn't want to get rid of it. But, I know I can likely buy it in a few months considerably cheaper. Then again, I hope I can't -- I hope Ruf takes off. So I collect, but I sell if the prices drive me to. I don't need a label. I just know I don't collect vintage.

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
OF COURSE!!! I am not advocating one type of collecting over another. I collect modern cards of stars (to say Hamilton is not a proven star is just stupid) because I like new cards too. Do I think buying tons of cards of prospects is a tremendous waste of time and money....yes!! But that does not mean others can't find enjoyment in it.

My whole point to this thread was to point out the seeming lack of respect for the history of the game and how that plays out in the hobby and in forums like this. If you can't tell me who Walter Johnson is, but have 60 Addison Russell Bowman Chrome autos then I just think that is sad. Not wrong really, just sad.

There is room for all types of collectors in this hobby. I don't prospect, but I don't begrudge those that do or think that I'm superior to them. Value is what someone is willing to pay. You many think the hot prospect auto selling for more than a HOFer is ridiculous, but if that's the market, so be it. Most of what you're comparing to is all modern anyway - modern HOF autos to modern prospects.

I don't understand if you're such a vintage lover, why you have Josh Hamilton in your signature? Shouldn't you be promoting your proven stars?

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I just sold the Ruf in my signature for $300. While I made a NICE ROI for 2 weeks (trust me, if I could pull that kinda ROI in, I'd quit my job), I really liked that card and didn't want to get rid of it. But, I know I can likely buy it in a few months considerably cheaper. Then again, I hope I can't -- I hope Ruf takes off. So I collect, but I sell if the prices drive me to. I don't need a label. I just know I don't collect vintage.

Again, I don't consider you a prospector. You are a Phillies collector who sells when you can make a nice profit... and most likely you put the profit back into your Phillies collection. It's just not the same as buying any player at all with the intention to make money in the near future. Sure you don't need label, but you certainly aren't a prospector.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
can we have a HOF and retired players forum. i think theres enough collectors on here that would go for that.
There already is a vintage collectors forum on FCB. But it rarely gets posted in, probably because most members don't know, or forget, it exists.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Just think. In 20 years, all these cards that these "prospectors" are going through like water will be worth pretty much nothing and all the cards of accomplished players will have value. Just think of it that way. Who cares about what they buy/sell/trade. Keep doing what you are doing.

In 20 years, todays "prospector cards", will be in the hands of collectors, not the prospector.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
In 20 years, todays "prospector cards", will be in the hands of collectors, not the prospector.

I never said that I don't approve and I also never said there is anything wrong with it. What I said was, in the end, prospecting doesn't leave you with great cards of great players. It leaves you with either more money than when you started or less money than when you started. It's not collecting, is my point. It's mostly about making a buck for most people. You are one of the rare ones where it's fun too, but don't lie to yourself and act like it's that way with most who prospect. It's about making money for most of them.

Many of us prospect for a few extra bucks and to support our pc. I still have all my old cards. But prospecting is very fun and exciting. You call it empty. Is going to Disneyland empty? You pay a lot to get in, go on a bunch of rides, and at the end of the day, leave with a $50 sweatshirt, you could have got from target for $15. But those rides leave thrills and memories, you will never forget.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Many of us prospect for a few extra bucks and to support our pc. I still have all my old cards. But prospecting is very fun and exciting. You call it empty. Is going to Disneyland empty? You pay a lot to get in, go on a bunch of rides, and at the end of the day, leave with a $50 sweatshirt, you could have got from target for $15. But those rides leave thrills and memories, you will never forget.

Yes, gambling can be fun. I'm not denying that.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
This whole lack of respect for the game being blamed on prospecting is a joke. For many, it's the thirst to find the next great, that's drives them towards prospecting. I collected Carew for years. I was done. The thrill in adding another went away, it does for most. I wanted something else to do. I used my knowledge and love of the game and it's history to jump into prospecting. Now, I enjoy doing both. I prospect and build up some nice angels cards I enjoy. I'm basically the angels version of the character played in fever pitch.

To compare cards to stocks. IBM, intc, sun micro were great stocks. I had a lot of fun with them 20 years ago. Now I look for companies that will be great for the next 20. This doesn't mean I don't respect the companies or the history of the stock market. Looking for the next great is a thrill. If you can make money, it's even more fun. I won't put myself in the same catagory as jaypers, with time invested, but I am always learning/researching about prospects and comparing them to the greats, to help me decide where their future is.

There are jacka$$ collectors and jacka$$ prospectors. Neither of this group respect the game or know much of it's history. Let's talk chit about those guys and leave the good people on both sides alone to do whatever they want. There is room in this hobby for both.

Last edited:

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I've never really had much of an issue with prospecting. It's not my cup of tea but I don't view badly. But I see a lot of folks who really only are in the hobby to make money. They don't collect anything. Those are the types I don't understand. I don't have a problem with it by any means and I know people might just do it on the side. I just don't understand it because it's not something I would do. Doesn't make it wrong or bad though. And like I've said, the ones I really honestly have an issue with are the types who get bitter about it. Who act like you're an idiot for enjoying the hobby. I don't have time for people like that. They don't have to understand me, but they sure as hell don't need to be giving me grief over it. Especially if they are trying to sell me something related to the hobby. That makes not a lick of sense!

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Baseball is baseball. Talk about whatever you want. I really don't get why people want to segregate themselves. I mean, it really is as simple as posting. You want to talk about HOF players/cards, make threads or bump threads about HOF players/cards. It's not rocket science. I do it all the time, make threads about non-prospects. Where are all you people for those threads? You aren't all over them (not just mine) like you are putting on you will be if it was separate. You are nowhere to be found. You can't complain about content when it's YOUR job to create and support the content. FCB isn't here to entertain us, we are here to entertain each other.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
You know what's funny... The Minnesota Golden Gophers are going to celebrate their 150th season this year. When the Gophers became a team, a puck had never dropped on a frozen lake in the iron range of northern Minnesota (assumed, according to my source) and wouldn't for another 32 years.

And who cares? Very few people.

I was at a show a couple years ago. It was mainly a vintage show, with 1-2 tables of modern. I was thumbing through the singles at a modern table, looking for Mike Kvasnicka autos for my Gophers PC and I overheard one of the guys running the table. He said, "We are the only one with 'good' stuff here?"

That made me a little sad for the hobby.

Anyways, I'm sorry for the randomness. I know it didn't really contribute to the thread at all.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008

Yes, prospectors, like any investor, are supposed to sell their cards away. But will collectors want everything that's left over from prospectors? Unless collectors are interested in MiLB players, its easy to see most of these cards treated like late '80s/early '90s cards are treated today.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts