Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Buying items listed on ebay off ebay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Your opinion on this particular subject is pretty meaningless when you can't even objectively discuss ebay.

Well you have a real interesting way of thinking if not discussing something irrelevant to whether or not this particular action is stealing makes my opinion meaningless. Sorry but our brains work in different ways.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
My main point is your using the word stealing so often it's not stealing if ebay doesn't own it and just because you list it there doesn't mean it has to be sold there. You keep using the words stealing and they don't have the item to steal. Where in the ebay policy does it say if you list a item here you must sell it here. They don't want you to sell off ebay because they will lose money that wouldn't be theirs without you putting in the work to list it in the first place.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
You back tracked on a response not long ago saying it wasn't stealing but you use that word again so to you we have a bunch of criminals here on the boards even know they bought these items most likely on ebay and try to sell them where they feel after buying it.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Where in the ebay policy does it say if you list a item here you must sell it here.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-spam-non-ebay-sale.html

I am (and always have been) only referring to items that the buyer found on ebay. They found it on ebay so the seller used ebay to find their buyer, and ebay should be paid what they are owed per the terms of your listing: the FVF.

You back tracked on a response not long ago saying it wasn't stealing but you use that word again so to you we have a bunch of criminals here on the boards even know they bought these items most likely on ebay and try to sell them where they feel after buying it.

Please tell me where I said it wasn't stealing. Maybe you're mixing up where I was talking about when somebody did not find the item through ebay or the seller contacted the buyer about other unlisted items they had that the buyer might be interested in. Those are different scenarios.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
It's not stealing if it's your item your selling. I don't care how you choose to sell it as it's still yours till its sold.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Against their TOS, yes. Stealing, no. Now Google "ebay lawsuits" and see how ebay is being sued for stealing from unsuspecting sellers by hiding their listings to promote more sales for bigger vendors. Keep fighting the good fight. ebay really needs your support. Talking about seller ethics while completely ignoring the many unethical things that ebay does and has done... priceless.

Have you stopped using ebay?

Jun 30, 2010
I find it very interesting all the people justifying selling off ebay because ebay has some questionable policies and avoiding the real question. The question is " Should you enter an agreement with a company to provide a service to you( provide you with a buyer) and then receive a buyer due to their service and then refuse to pay the company for that service they provided.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
If you paid to list it then you have paid there service I pay them monthly for my store now what I decide to do after that is my opinion as it's my item keep it on and sell it which I normally do or sell another way. It's still my item if you paid the a fee for using there service you have filled your obligation. Finial value fee is only if you sell the item through ebay not finding someone who wants it and is willing to buy off ebay for a cheaper price where both sides can benefit on the deal. Listing on ebay doesn't mean they own the item or it needs to be sold there, no laws are broken if you sell off ebay as it was still your item your selling.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I find it very interesting all the people justifying selling off ebay because ebay has some questionable policies and avoiding the real question. The question is " Should you enter an agreement with a company to provide a service to you( provide you with a buyer) and then receive a buyer due to their service and then refuse to pay the company for that service they provided.

I find it very interesting all the people that continue to focus on sellers skirting ebay fees while completely ignoring ebay hiding listings. Why do you only seem to care about one and not the other? I get that they are separate issues, but how can you not see the contradictory nature of championing one side of the very same coin.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Oh, you must not have read the post this was in response to.

Against their TOS, yes. Stealing, no. Now Google "ebay lawsuits" and see how ebay is being sued for stealing from unsuspecting sellers by hiding their listings to promote more sales for bigger vendors. Keep fighting the good fight. ebay really needs your support. Talking about seller ethics while completely ignoring the many unethical things that ebay does and has done... priceless.​

You seem to be able to ignore the unethical things they've done...

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Finial value fee is only if you sell the item through ebay not finding someone who wants it

I think you've touched on the main reason the two sides are never going to see eye to eye on this issue:

One side believes that the main and essential service ebay provides is finding you a buyer through their highly visible website, and all fees paid/owed to them are for this function.

The other side believes that the main services ebay provides are placing your listing on a web page and having a button for a buyer to click to buy it...if "finding a buyer" is even a service at all it's covered by the listing fee.

It's a philosophical difference in thinking about services businesses and maybe even economics as a whole. A message board thread isn't going to change those points of view so the arguments just go in circles.

I find it very interesting all the people that continue to focus on sellers skirting ebay fees while completely ignoring ebay hiding listings. Why do you only seem to care about one and not the other? I get that they are separate issues, but how can you not see the contradictory nature of championing one side of the very same coin.

I find it very interesting that either:

A. You are so upset that your attempts to divert the subject to an emotional argument against big bad ebay have failed, that you keep harping on it. Everybody else seems to be able to separate the issues. Like I've said, if you want to make a thread about the bad things ebay has done, be my guest because I bet it would have a lot of replies. This thread is about whether avoiding FVF is stealing and any discussion about other various bad things ebay has done go down the road of "well it's okay to avoid FVF because look at this other stuff ebay has done". It looks like you're making the argument that's it's more okay to do this with ebay than it is with another company that you feel is more upstanding, which is not an argument that avoiding FVF isn't stealing. I don't know you well enough to judge whether or not you honestly don't see that, or you are intentionally trying to sway people to your side with an emotional appeal. And it's a shame because you've made some good points in your arguments...I don't agree with them, but they were compelling. Trying to bring unrelated evidence in only hurts your argument.

or

B. You honestly do not have the ability to separate out the moral/ethical virtues of a business as a whole from one specific issue. It clouds your judgement so much that it subconsciously makes you feel that it's wrong to not pay a poor starving honest business owner but righteous to not pay a corporation that has done bad things. It affects your ability to be impartial about very narrow specific issues. The fight against corporations doing bad things is commendable and necessary, but has zero to do with whether or not avoiding FVF is stealing.

Last edited:

Latest posts