Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

3 new HOF inductees- 2017 BBWAA Voting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
The value of this card just went up.. not much but a little..

lms-tr.jpg

Damn that's awesome!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Tool maybe. But that was one of my first thoughts too. Didn't Bagwell have a cloud of steroid suspicion around him? He was one of the more exciting guys to watch when I was growing up, so I'm glad to see him in. But you know who else was exciting? Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, Sosa, Palmeiro, A-Rod, Manny. But that's another discussion.

I think Bagwell may have used(I'm not that much of a homer) but honestly, I feel the local media is way too scared to ever try to out a guy. They never say too many bad or negative things here(even about the football team which is the biggest joke ever...but they'll make snide remarks and crack jokes on the radio which is the extent of it). In other places they'll eat you alive but here it's not like that and I think the local guys have benefited from that.

That said, I am happy he is in and I look forward to other guys getting the vote in the near future. Guess the 500 mark at a power position(on homers while playing first) no longer has to occur now before they'll put you in. Should bode well for guys like McGriff(who should already be in) and Todd Helton(unless we are going to make him wait 5 years because of playing at Coor's).

One other thing, I could swear up down and sideways that Pudge had been outed for steroid use. Not rumored but straight up outed. Am I misremembering things(Clemens anyone?)? Or was this not the case?

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Tool maybe. But that was one of my first thoughts too. Didn't Bagwell have a cloud of steroid suspicion around him? He was one of the more exciting guys to watch when I was growing up, so I'm glad to see him in. But you know who else was exciting? Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, Sosa, Palmeiro, A-Rod, Manny. But that's another discussion.
This is what irritates me about the writers. These guys decide some with PED suspicions are OK but others aren't. Like draw some sort of line or you just say u don't like Barry or Clemens, at least that would be honest. They act like they're protecting a some holy Temple or something

Collecting: Phil Bickford, Brandon Wood (still), Yankees and Rockies

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
As an aside on Raines, there was a great MLB Network show last night on the history of the Expos. The 81 team now has 3 HOFers and came close to going to WS. He had a great early career run that might have been better had he not had substance abuse issues.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Freedom Card Board mobile app

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I'm glad that Bagwell, Raines and Pudge were elected to the Hall! These three are quite deserving of such a prestigious honor. Hoffman and Vlad will certainly get in next year, along with Chipper Jones and Jim Thome.

Continuing the discussion, I never for the life of me understood the writer's thinking when it comes to voting in the steroid era. Yes, Bonds and Clemens took PED's. There is evidence a mile long that one can point to. Bagwell on the other hand was "suspected" of using and it cost him 7 years of neglect. For a player of his caliber, it's simply unfair for the writers to play judge, jury and executioner. Would anyone find it feasible if someone accused you of cheating on your significant other, without any shred of evidence, for instance? I certainly wouldn't want that negative PR if it isn't warranted. It's either you did, or you didn't. Yes, MLB knew guys were using. Yes, they looked the other way in the name of home runs which meant immense profits. Yes, players lied about using. However, if a player's contributions to the game are found in good faith and put up gaudy numbers, they are Hall of Famers.

In the case of Hoffman, he's a Hall of Famer. Yes, he didn't have that defining postseason moment, but the man had 602 saves, the 2nd most of all-time. He was the epitome of consistency. Joel Sherman had 10 possible votes and only voted for 9 guys. Why not throw a bone Hoffman's way?

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
my picks would be. Vlad,hoffman and raines. i mean pudge looks like the incredible shrinking man.
Vlad's body changed much more dramatically than Pudge's.
Vlad went from a 158 pound rookie to a 235 monster. His transformation was just like Sosa's, yet he wasn't suspected of steroids for some reason despite being able to launch ankle-high fastballs into the upper deck.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Vlad's body changed much more dramatically than Pudge's.
Vlad went from a 158 pound rookie to a 235 monster. His transformation was just like Sosa's, yet he wasn't suspected of steroids for some reason despite being able to golf fastballs in the dirt into the upper deck.

In this age of information and the internet, i am hoping the list with the 103 players who failed that steriod test of which only one (Arod) is outed. Comes out. wiki leaks can you hear me. One thing is for sure there are players in the HOF who used.

Jul 22, 2016
The thing about Canseco is that he comes off as unbalanced. I heard him give an interview with Roger Lodge yesterday and boy was he in true form. He complains but nobody takes him seriously. I dont know why he is so bitter. He claims he doesnt think he should be in the HOF but will continue to fight until all the PED guys are in. He also claimed that yesterdays HOF announcement made him throw up in his mouth, twice even! He is just too much. I wish he would just shut up and accept it as it is. The more he goes on and on the more unlikable he is.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I never thought of it but it is surprising that Wiki Leaks hasn't stepped into the roid situation with MLB or really any sport for that matter... talk about a shake up!

That said, this year, more than any other, has really got me thinking about the argument of "you are either a HOF'er or you are not" and this like year after year after year voting is kind of funny... like what has changed over all these years to where Rock is now a HOF'er? Just saying... like at some point you feel like he is getting the sympathy vote IMHO.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I never followed Raines, but have heard others say if he played in another era he would have been a Hall of Famer. His downfall was he was overshadowed by Rickey his whole career.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I love checking the 162 Game Average of HOF players. It sort of shows their season average over the course of their career. Here is Rickey's (first) and Tim's (second). There haven't been a ton of players like Rickey, so I don't know how to interpret how "above and beyond" his career stats were...

121 Runs 102
161 Hits 169
16 HRs 11
59 RBIs 63
74 SBs 52
.279 BA .294
.401 OBP .385
.820 OPS .810
25 Years 23

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
The career totals seem way "above and beyond" Raines though...

2295 Runs 1571
3055 Hits 2605
297 HRs 170
1115 RBIs 980
1406 SBs 808
.279 BA .294
.401 OBP .385
.820 OPS .810
25 Years 23

Members online