Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A memory and a story of renewed interest in this hobby of ours! A quick update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I may have mentioned this before (ok...maybe a few times) that one of my biggest collecting regrets happened when I was a third grader at Immanuel Lutheran School in the far Northwest suburbs of Chicago. The time would have been around 1974 and the setting would be old Mrs. Bickel's drafty third grade class room that had old, faded paint on the walls and chalk boards all around. It was in this class room that a collecting memory was burned into my young brain, never to be forgotten.

It was known to all of my classmates that I was a huge baseball fan and had a passion, even at that young age for collecting baseball cards. It was not unusual for a friend to bring in a card or two that they found in their attic and give it to me for my ever growing collection. This memory was on a fall day, right after the World Series had ended that a classmate walked into the room at the start of our day and handed me a large brown shopping bag. With a very matter of fact voice she said I could have whatever was inside and quickly made her way to her desk. I eagerly opened the bag and my jaw dropped to my cold, wooden desk with a thud. Inside this bag were treasures I had never before laid eyes on. Hundreds of baseball cards thrown haphazardly into a bag with little regard for condition. Cards that were bigger in size than any I have ever seen were now in my hands with names I could only recognize from the baseball history books I had read. There was Maglie, Berra, Thompson and some guy named Shoendienst who I knew as Red. Included in the bunch were also guys named Aaron, Banks and some guy named Mantle. I could not believe my luck that someone had decided they no longer wanted these treasures and had thought enough and passed them on to me.

In all my excitement I failed to realize the final bell had rung, and my entire class was now seated in their desks. I was oblivious to what was happening around me and never saw my elderly teacher standing at the front of the class, taking attendance. With my head still firmly in the brown paper bag I felt a tap on the shoulder which would quickly bring me back to reality. As I looked up to see who could possibly be ruining this incredible moment I realized it was the teacher who apparently did not like baseball cards nearly as much as I did. I could tell my good fortune was not high on her priority list by the frown on her face and her stern voice when she asked what I was doing. As I tried to explain my point of view, her old, boney hand reached out and grabbed by treasured bag and brought it to her desk where I could hear it hit the bottom of her desk drawer with a resounding flop. They were gone....all gone. Mickey, Yogi and Red were now in my teachers desk lost forever. I was consumed with getting those cards back in my hands but it was never to happen. The years have diminished my memory and for the life of me I cannot remember why I never got the cards back. I can only guess and think that maybe because my school was literally and old school religious school where you never questioned the teacher and I was too afraid to ask. I would have never mentioned the loss to my parents as they would have probably kicked my back side for not paying attention in class anyway and would never blame the teacher for something I did. Either way those cards are long gone but forever burned into my memory. I loved them for the nostalgia they represented and for the memory they gave me. I vowed that, one day, I would put that set together and relieve that third grade nightmare I still have vivid memories of.

In late 2014 I saw someone on the the Net54 boards advertising a small lot of '55 Bowman's at a decent price. I knew this was now the time to start putting the nightmare to rest and the seller and I had quickly worked out a deal. As it turned out the cards I purchased were cards that were recently found at a garage sale and their only owner opened the packs as a third grader and put them aside for decades before selling them this past summer. The cards were even sold in the original Phillies cigar box from that same time frame where these new treasures rested all these years. After hearing this I knew this set was meant for me.

I then purchased another lot from another Net54 board member who graciously held onto the lot and allowed me to make lay-a-away payments on several occasions for other lots he had. I have even made a few more purchases from Ebay and have found a renewed interest in collecting that had once escaped me. No shiny refractors or numbered parallels for me. Just musty smelling cardboard with a colored television border and names I had long ago forgotten, staring back at me. Andy, Yogi and yes, even Mickey. Hello old friends. Where ya been?

Thank you for indulging me on this journey and please feel free to look at my photo bucket slide show to see my progress.

http://s651.photobucket.com/user/phlwalworth/slideshow/1955 Bowman Baseball?sort=9

Last edited:

mchenrycards

Cool story, and wow, the cards look to be in incredible shape!

Thanks for the kind words and yes, the majority of these cards are certainly in EX or better condition. One of the issues with this set is that they are notorious for being off center. I hate off center cards so this set will challenge me. The brown borders are also a challenge but I have time so I am in no hurry to complete this set.

I do have a deal in place to acquire about another 50 cards very soon with probably 10+ hall of famers included. After I finish this deal I will be going after some of the larger star cards to keep mu interest in the project. This set does include the rookie card of Elston Howard and some others that were not included in the Topps set of the same year. And of course this set includes the only 1955 card of Mickey Mantle that was available in wide release. On a personal note this set has held my interest because it included umpire cards in the high, tough series. Honestly, umpires never excited me but in this case there is a card of legendary umpire Augie Donatelli. My cousin married Mr. Donatelli's son so I have always taken special notice of this card.

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
Thank you for sharing. You've prompted me to share my stories of how I got into this hobby full steam. I must be about 5 years older than you. I spent summers as a kid at my grandparents on the shores of Pistakee Bay - so just seeing your board name brings back fond memories. I remember being there one summer when a tornado destroyed the drive-in theater and a A&W stand that we used to frequent.

My other grandparents lived in closer-in west suburbs of Chicago. I had started buying baseball cards in the summer of 1967 - I was 6 and was fascinated by the pictures and the stats. I cherished those cards and knew as much about them as any kid in school. I kept collecting through 7th and 8th grade - even when my friends decided they were too cool for baseball cards any longer. In the fall of 1974 my grandparents started to clean out their basement - they would eventually move into an apartment. One day I got home from school and a package had arrived. It was really unusual for me to get a package in the fall - if I ever got something from them it was for xmas or my birthday in the spring. The package was wrapped in brown paper - so I pulled off the paper and inside was a shoebox - the shoebox was full of sports cards from 1948-1956, baseball & football.
They were just sitting in the box and I'm sure some were dinged a little more in shipping. But I was hooked. About two months later a second box arrived with more cards. This time they stacked the cards and wrapped them in paper towels and secured them so they travelled a little more safely.

The football cards were all Bowman - over time I've completed the 51 and 54 sets. I'm close to the 52 small and 55 set.

Baseball included a few 1948 leaf, a lot of bowman from 50-55 and some topps from 52-56. Since I got these I finished the 52 Bowman set and am close to the 54 Bowman and 55 Bowman set. I've also finished the 1953 Topps low numbers.

There was also a pretty good assortment of Berk-Ross in there and some odd non-sports stuff.

None of this is PSA registry material - the sets probably range from PSA 4-6 grade I've had some of the stars slabbed at PSA - the 53 Topps mantle is a 5, The 52 Bowman Mantle and Mays are 4.

But I'll keep them, all the same.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
Great stories. I went to a catholic school in Worcester Mass. for 3rd and 4th grades. The nuns would take any sports cards from the students that they saw us with, even at recess or lunch time. The bus driver that my friend and I took home from school knew that we both loved cards. One day out of the blue, he hands us a good sized shopping bag with all kinds of sports cards. I gave my share to my cousin when I lost interest in my late teens.

mchenrycards

Great stories. I went to a catholic school in Worcester Mass. for 3rd and 4th grades. The nuns would take any sports cards from the students that they saw us with, even at recess or lunch time. The bus driver that my friend and I took home from school knew that we both loved cards. One day out of the blue, he hands us a good sized shopping bag with all kinds of sports cards. I gave my share to my cousin when I lost interest in my late teens.

I bet you would love to have those cards back right about now! LOL

mchenrycards

Thank you for sharing. You've prompted me to share my stories of how I got into this hobby full steam. I must be about 5 years older than you. I spent summers as a kid at my grandparents on the shores of Pistakee Bay - so just seeing your board name brings back fond memories. I remember being there one summer when a tornado destroyed the drive-in theater and a A&W stand that we used to frequent.

My other grandparents lived in closer-in west suburbs of Chicago. I had started buying baseball cards in the summer of 1967 - I was 6 and was fascinated by the pictures and the stats. I cherished those cards and knew as much about them as any kid in school. I kept collecting through 7th and 8th grade - even when my friends decided they were too cool for baseball cards any longer. In the fall of 1974 my grandparents started to clean out their basement - they would eventually move into an apartment. One day I got home from school and a package had arrived. It was really unusual for me to get a package in the fall - if I ever got something from them it was for xmas or my birthday in the spring. The package was wrapped in brown paper - so I pulled off the paper and inside was a shoebox - the shoebox was full of sports cards from 1948-1956, baseball & football.
They were just sitting in the box and I'm sure some were dinged a little more in shipping. But I was hooked. About two months later a second box arrived with more cards. This time they stacked the cards and wrapped them in paper towels and secured them so they travelled a little more safely.

The football cards were all Bowman - over time I've completed the 51 and 54 sets. I'm close to the 52 small and 55 set.

Baseball included a few 1948 leaf, a lot of bowman from 50-55 and some topps from 52-56. Since I got these I finished the 52 Bowman set and am close to the 54 Bowman and 55 Bowman set. I've also finished the 1953 Topps low numbers.

There was also a pretty good assortment of Berk-Ross in there and some odd non-sports stuff.

None of this is PSA registry material - the sets probably range from PSA 4-6 grade I've had some of the stars slabbed at PSA - the 53 Topps mantle is a 5, The 52 Bowman Mantle and Mays are 4.

But I'll keep them, all the same.

I know Pistake Bay well as I grew up in and around that area. It would be great to see the collection you have put together as a result of these cards!

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Great stories all. I remember telling my brother in 2002 (I'm 24 so not that long ago, I was 12) that cards were dumb when he was buying them from Wal Mart. 2 years later I got my variety box from Toys R Us and was hooked.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
I can just picture ol' Mrs. Bickels.....what an old hag :D. Too bad you did not have some young, progressive teacher- you'd still have the cards for sure.

I am 48 and got into cards in 1974. I heard stories from both my father and his mother how she threw away his cards. Too bad since he was a 50's kid.

Thanks for the fun, nostalgic read.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The only thing that I think my parents tossed were my old issues of Baseball Card News when I was in the Navy. They knew the cards were off limits, but I guess they felt the old newspapers were junk. I absolutely would love to have those back. Nothing epic (mid 80s issues, maybe 1-2 years worth), but I'm sure a few had Garvey cards pictured on the front page that I'd want in my Garvey collection now. This is what they looked like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mark-McGWIR...intage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item54112959a0

Plus I love looking through old hobby catalogs and periodicals.

My kid memories were of making treks to card stores when the opportunity allowed and what I would get from these visits. It was the early-mid 80s, so things were still relatively cheap but my budget was nothing grand either. I remember buying 50s singles for a few bucks each, choosing the players either because of the team or from stats that told me they were better than the average scrub.

Last edited:

mchenrycards

Added a nice Gil Hodges as well as a Elston Howard rookie to the set this week. Also added a Zimmer RC, and a few other hall of famers to the set. This set has really sparked my interest in collecting again and putting this set together is not costing me an arm and a leg. This has been a fun ride so far

mchenrycards

Well, my last update was at Thanksgiving so I figured I would update this post here at Christmas. I have added about 25 cards to the set since my last post with many being commons. The stars will start coming soon!! I have hit my goal of being over 100 cards for the set by New Years with about ten more incoming before the next holiday.

Thanks for looking and taking interest in my quest.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
Well, my last update was at Thanksgiving so I figured I would update this post here at Christmas. I have added about 25 cards to the set since my last post with many being commons. The stars will start coming soon!! I have hit my goal of being over 100 cards for the set by New Years with about ten more incoming before the next holiday.

Thanks for looking and taking interest in my quest.

Very cool stuff. I always like to read about other people's vintage collections.

mchenrycards

Its been a couple of months since I updated this thread. I added about 50 more cards, mostly lesser names but some hall of famers. I have an Eddie Matthews incoming and a few more stars on the way but will keep plugging away at this set. My plan is to be at 200 cards for the set by the end of the year. Thankfully, this set is not widely collected so doing this on a budget is not much of an issue. If anyone has a Mantle they want to contribute to this effort, shoot me an email with a price.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I don't think I ever had a teacher take anything from me, but I did sell off my baseball cards for very little when I was young. I've since re-built most of them. My first complete set as a kid was 1961. I now have a few earlier sets to boot.
Some childhood memories are better than others for us all, but they're still a part of us.
DANNY

mchenrycards

I thought I would throw an update out there on my set progress. I am just a few cards short of halfway and still plan on having 200 cards by the end of the year ( I am only 46 away right now). I still need to add the Mantle, Banks and Aaron but am pretty happy with the progress. This has been a fun project and has helped to get rid of the bad dreams of the cards that I once had in my grasp but lost them many years ago.

Thanks for reading and looking.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
I thought I would throw an update out there on my set progress. I am just a few cards short of halfway and still plan on having 200 cards by the end of the year ( I am only 46 away right now). I still need to add the Mantle, Banks and Aaron but am pretty happy with the progress. This has been a fun project and has helped to get rid of the bad dreams of the cards that I once had in my grasp but lost them many years ago.

Thanks for reading and looking.

Congrats, keep us posted as they come in!

Members online

Latest posts