Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oscar Taveras Was Drunk at Time of Accident

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
yeah its too bad.

I have quite the opinion on all this but ill keep it to myself. Not worth the debate.

Wouldn't be much of a debate. It's a bad idea all the time, every time, to drive after drinking. And this is a good example of why.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
Condolences to Edilia Arvelo's family.

At least he did not involve another motor vehicle in this horrifically idiotic event.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
To bring this on point, his cards still had significant value after his death. I wonder what this news will do.

Significant value compared to what? His cards were pennies on the dollar after his death, not sure if they could get much lower. The value of his cards were speculations, that is gone which does not leave much.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
We control our own destiny. Sadly, he controlled someone else's too.

I understand what you mean but think about how many accidents happen for different reasons. Texting, changing the radio, dropping something. I'm not saying he's innocent, but mistakes happen, I'd be lying if I said I never drove when I shouldn't have. I was just blessed to have made it and when I look back at that I get sick to think of what could have been.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
I am sorry for his baby and his girlfriend and his girlfriend's family that he drove being that intoxicated. I can't imagine what he was thinking, but it's a reminder to everyone - especially young ones that you are not invincible.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I understand what you mean but think about how many accidents happen for different reasons. Texting, changing the radio, dropping something. I'm not saying he's innocent, but mistakes happen, I'd be lying if I said I never drove when I shouldn't have. I was just blessed to have made it and when I look back at that I get sick to think of what could have been.
+1 on everything here

I also want to add that Oscar's girlfriend got into the car with him at the wheel, and she knew damn well that he was intoxicated. We just don't make great choices when we are drunk, which I assume she was as well (and if she wasn't then she shoulda been driving).

Im not adding this to point fingers or spread blame or anything like that. While everyone here is saying (rightfully) that it is stupid and dangerous to drive drunk, everyone needs to stop and think about this when they are getting into a car as a passenger as well.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I agree with this; driving intoxicated however is a big no-no we have thousands of examples to prove this. There needs to be some sort of overhaul to prevent this in cars besides just more patrol on the streets. He's a young guy who makes mistakes - I too like you have made mistakes driving when I shouldn't have. It would have of course been just for him to go to jail as no one who drives drunk actually deserves the consequence he was given.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I would also add if you look at drunk driving statistics, we have not significantly reduced the amount of drunk driving accidents over the years (from what I've read). What we've reduced is the number of accidents that result in fatalities which is a direct byproduct of cars becoming safer to drive. I think it's a big knock against the government and legislature that this is such a massive, massive problem that results in so many deaths from state to state. Yes, texting and driving is a problem too but some of the highway signs that previously said "don't drink and drive" now say "don't text and drive" as if it's the new danger. Driving while impaired, in my opinion, is exponentially more dangerous than texting and the fact that we can't seem to find a solution makes me point the finger in part to the legislature considering they have the power to be more forceful.

Just giving an example - if you're caught with a significant amount of heroin, for example, you can go to jail for many, many years. Has this stopped people from using heroin? Not completely, but it's certainly less prevalent than drunk driving. I don't see the debate here even, we absolutely have to be extremely strict with DUI offenses we have so much tragedy to prove that this is in fact an ongoing epidemic.

Rant over.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I think it's a big knock against the government and legislature that this is such a massive, massive problem that results in so many deaths from state to state.

What do you want? Legislation that mandates every car have a breatholyzer to start? I like the current state law in my state to install those for first time convicted offenders, but unfortunately some first time drunks don't get pulled over by police or don't survive their first crash to enact the breatholyzer part of the law.

As for Taveras, it's been hard from the beginning for me to call it a tragedy because I've always had a gut feeling that it was a human-caused incident and now it's confirmed. What are true tragedys are things like the GM ignition lock issue since that was a flaw in the vehicle and not driver error causing those deaths.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I have no idea what the limit is in the DR but five times the legal limit
he must have been blind drunk. Sad but very stupid. I lost a family member to someone else's stupidity I don't have much empathy

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Let's make one thing clear: drunk driving is a terrible DECISION; it is not a "mistake" and definately not an "accident".

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Stiffer penalties for first time offenders. Guaranteed jail time, huge fines, etc. The current punishments are obviously not severe enough.

It was a human caused accident I mean 5 times over the legal limit is insane - but are we saying that if we make one mistake it needs to be punishable by our own death? When we drink alcohol we lose our ability to make correct judgement but does that mean that someone deserves to die over that?

What do you want? Legislation that mandates every car have a breatholyzer to start? I like the current state law in my state to install those for first time convicted offenders, but unfortunately some first time drunks don't get pulled over by police or don't survive their first crash to enact the breatholyzer part of the law.

As for Taveras, it's been hard from the beginning for me to call it a tragedy because I've always had a gut feeling that it was a human-caused incident and now it's confirmed. What are true tragedys are things like the GM ignition lock issue since that was a flaw in the vehicle and not driver error causing those deaths.

Members online