Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[Featured Thread] Vintage Corner: One Example of a Non-Main Stream Rookie Card- Ryne Sandberg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A_Pharis

Technically not a Japanese release, nor does it feature Japanese text, the UD Collector's Choice card for Ichiro has an interesting backstory that ties it to Ichiro's pre-MLB career.

In November of 1994, the NBA opened the 1994-95 regular season in Yokohama, Japan. On two consecutive nights, the Los Angeles Clippers played the Portland Trail Blazers, with the Clippers losing both games.

Already a star in Japan, but little-known elsewhere, Ichiro was a VIP for the games. While in attendance, Ichiro crossed paths with an Upper Deck representative and shot a few photos holding a basketball, which were turned into a media card.

While the total amount printed varies by the source, it is estimated that only 100-200 cards were made and they were all shipped directly to Ichiro. Very few have surfaced, but when they do, they have been greeted with four-figure sales.

View attachment 57122

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Wow!

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Great idea for a thread and really enjoyed the write up. This was the first one that came to my mind, albeit a different era entirely.

1946-47 Propagandas Montiel Stan Musial RC. Even this one graded in VG condition sold for $2k.

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2014_fall/459.html

You can read more about these cards here but imo they are a fascinating old Cuban issue.

http://www.oldcardboard.com/foreign/cuba/propagandas/propagandas.asp?cardsetID=1029

Don Zimmer's first card was in a Cuban set, 1952 Victoria, pre-dating his Topps rookie card by 3 years.

52VICTORIA.jpg
52VICTORIAB.jpg

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Everyone knows about Canseco's 1986 Donruss rated rookie, and because of his popularity from the 80's and 90's, many know about his pre-rookie releases as well, but I'm sure many have forgotten. (Not my pics)

Did you know he had a 1985 Burger King card?

Jose-Canseco.jpg

Or a 1984 Chong's Card (From Sequoia Supermarket ... "Biggest little supermarket in town"

1027Canseco_zps2e25496c.jpg

Or even a 1983 Fritsch Card (East town mall ... "More of everything you want".

BGSDiary1983Canseco.jpg

caster513

Jul 16, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Kenny Lofton played basketball for the Arizona Wildcats and was in the team sets from 85-89. Here is a card from the 88 set, the year they went to the final four. The cards were sponsored by the Tucson police department.

Last edited:

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
There was a similar oddball as well, although it would be a 1983 issue. Many may not be aware of this one either:

The 1983 Thorn Apple Valley set also features Joe Carter, which predates his rookie card by a year.

Speaking of Cubs, the 1989 Donruss Baseball's Best set features Sammy Sosa one year prior to his "official" RC cards

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
my personal favorites are actually in a different sport (basketball) and feature a pair of my south carolina game****s standouts...

brian winters was first featured in the 1974-75 lakers datsun set a year before he made his official rookie-card appearance in the 1975-76 topps set.....

winters then appeared on four cards in the 1976-77 milwaukee bucks playing card set which featured an even more prominent pre-rookie....alex english , the top scorer in the nba in the 80's , saw his first four cardboard appearances in this set long before his official rookie card came along in the 1979-80 topps set...fwiw , alex also appeared in another regional set (1977-78 milwaukee bucks action photos) two years before his first mainstream issue.....

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
Heh heh, I actually have the Ryne Sandberg Red Lobster card that would probably grade a PSA 8. There's also a team photo card with Sandberg from the same set; I think I have one listed on COMC. Some other oddball rookies I own include the 1986 Mothers Cookies Jose Canseco & Will Clark and the 1989 Ken Griffey Jr. Also the beautiful 1990 White Sox Coke RCs of Frank Thomas & Sammy Sosa. And last but not least is a nice 1985 7-11 card of Kirby Puckett. There's a couple of Greg Maddux oddball RCs from 1987 that I'm sort of interested in, namely the David Berg hot dogs and the extremely tough Canon. Too bad they appear to be oversized cards.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Heh heh, I actually have the Ryne Sandberg Red Lobster card that would probably grade a PSA 8. There's also a team photo card with Sandberg from the same set; I think I have one listed on COMC. Some other oddball rookies I own include the 1986 Mothers Cookies Jose Canseco & Will Clark and the 1989 Ken Griffey Jr. Also the beautiful 1990 White Sox Coke RCs of Frank Thomas & Sammy Sosa. And last but not least is a nice 1985 7-11 card of Kirby Puckett. There's a couple of Greg Maddux oddball RCs from 1987 that I'm sort of interested in, namely the David Berg hot dogs and the extremely tough Canon. Too bad they appear to be oversized cards.

Those two Madduxs are oversized. I have the Dawsons from those sets.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I can't find the product but isn't there a Reggie card from '68?

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Much like Ozzie Smith, Dave Winfield also had a team issued "card" from the year before his mainstream rookie. Before Family Fun Centers started sponsoring the team issue cards in 1977, Dean's Photo Service had been doing it for several years, resulting in this oversize 1973 issue:
1973DeansPadres.jpg

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Dave Concepcion has a card in the 1967 Topps Venezuelan set 4 years before his 1971 Topps RC. Not to give Topps credit, as I doubt they had any idea the star he would become, but it's a smart choice to put him in there. Bobby Cox has a card in the same set, if I'm not mistaken.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I really like posts like this. That Smith card is sharp.

It's a lot more famous than the 82 Red Lobster, but Bond Bread beat Bowman and Leaf by a year or more.
20100703-234647-pic-510366003_4722085_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
1947 Stan Musial Bond Bread is another pre-rookie issue with tough corners.

Great card of a pre-rookie rookie. I think it took so long to issue a card of Stand The Man because there just was not much in the way of card issues when Musial made his debut in 1941. The war effort did not allow for much in the way of paper products to be made at that time. Today it would be unheard of to have a player of Musial's caliber not have a mainstream rookie until after six years of his debut.

mchenrycards

Much like Ozzie Smith, Dave Winfield also had a team issued "card" from the year before his mainstream rookie. Before Family Fun Centers started sponsoring the team issue cards in 1977, Dean's Photo Service had been doing it for several years, resulting in this oversize 1973 issue:
1973DeansPadres.jpg

This and the Ozzie card are exact examples of the type of pre-rookie cards I am speaking of. These cards feature the player in their MLB uniform and are issued by MLB approved outlets.

mchenrycards

I really like posts like this. That Smith card is sharp.

It's a lot more famous than the 82 Red Lobster, but Bond Bread beat Bowman and Leaf by a year or more.
20100703-234647-pic-510366003_4722085_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

I am drawing a mind blank here but are there not two versions of this card? Is there a rounded corner and square corners version. Do you have any information on this?

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
Here's an example of a Kahn's Weiners rookie card that someone referred to earlier. 1956 Kahn's Frank Robinson rookie beat his 1957 Topps "rookie" by a year.

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1448999830.119874.jpg

Members online

Latest posts