Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Whoooooa! TEK looks sweet! All the info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I know bernie wont be in it. Hoping any way. 8 freakin cards at that price just shows that topps has no clue what collectors want.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
What pisses me off is it creates an eBay mess and disaster because EVERY card in the release will go up on eBay, even base... and with no stated print runs like we're back in the '90s, people will not want to get taken, so they'll just list ever card for $100 or something and it'll be a mad dash to figure out what cards are rare, what to pay, etc. Just a mess. I'm not looking forward to this at all. I can't say how much I hope Belle isn't in this or at least he is in it but at a minimum. Just can see a zillion cards up on eBay from this release... what a mess

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
Dear Baseball Card Gods,

Please replace Albert Belle with Andre Dawson in this release.

Pretty Please,
@Hawk8

I think your enthusiasm is refreshing. I just hope when you start seeing Burbank and the likes listing mojorific bubble diffractors and the 91 other versions for $250 because the buy in is so high that it doesn't disappoint you too much.

What made the 1998 Tek so special, and why there is a thread with a few thousand replies on it here, is that it was hard to collect, but not impossible. With this format, not only will it be impossible to get all of them, due to having so many low numbered, but also the fact that people are going to be marking these up to recoup costs.

Oh well, I know that no one I collect will be in it, so will enjoy seeing how this plays out from the sidelines.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I think your enthusiasm is refreshing. I just hope when you start seeing Burbank and the likes listing mojorific bubble diffractors and the 91 other versions for $250 because the buy in is so high that it doesn't disappoint you too much.

What made the 1998 Tek so special, and why there is a thread with a few thousand replies on it here, is that it was hard to collect, but not impossible. With this format, not only will it be impossible to get all of them, due to having so many low numbered, but also the fact that people are going to be marking these up to recoup costs.

Oh well, I know that no one I collect will be in it, so will enjoy seeing how this plays out from the sidelines.

I wish Dawson was in the 99 Tek, but I would settle for this.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Well, I found a way to make 2014 Topps Tek more interesting for me. I am still hoping Gwynn is not in it, but seeing Ripken on the promos lowers my spirits.

But looking it up on a Japanese site, and then letting Google Chrome translate the page: priceless! I'm hooked!

[FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]
1 pack (8 pieces) [/FONT]
[FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]plan selling price: ¥ 8,500 (tax included)     [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Now accepting! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Will be released November 5 [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]brand new "high-tech" debuts on Topps Corporation monopoly sale MLB official baseball card! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]It was released between 1998-2000, in a variety of transparent plastic card pattern [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]that brand shocked the resurrection that was upgraded along with the autograph of the star player! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]From box = pack, available one regular card six parallel + one + autograph! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Regular card a card 100 people Star & Rookie! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Pattern is depicted in colorful foil transparent plastic card, [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]variations thereof, 12 patterns per player! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Parallel set in each 99 sheets or less, gold that reflects each color (Limited serial), [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Ice (Limited), disco (Limited), cloud (only), Red Storm (10 sheets), [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Blue Dot (five), charcoal Galactic in (1OF1) Difurakuta, [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]and black-and-white photo (1OF1) printing plate also (15 pieces) version! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]First appearance! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Insert the card into direct sign writing of the old and the new star of MLB also one enclosed in a box! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Disco (Limited), cloud (only), Red Storm (10 sheets), Blue Dot (five), [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]charcoal in Galactic (1OF1), printing plates (1OF1), black-and-white photo (15 sheets)! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]In addition, the original card at the time also sealed with autographed by buy-back from the market! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]In addition, insert card was popular at that time also revival in the design of nostalgia that! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]1999 Tekunishanzu de Hula restrictor (25 species)! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Sign version of direct write 10 players also (10 sheets)! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]2000 Tectonics de Hula restrictor (20 species)! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Sign version of direct write 10 players also (10 sheets)! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Low Tech Day Hula restrictor (35 species)! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Sign version of direct write 10 players also (15 pieces)! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]One piece of probability from the case, reprinted design de Hula compactors or Buyback autograph!

LTB: 2014 Gwynn Low Tech Day Hula restrictor! Top $$ paid! I need all species![/FONT]

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Well, I found a way to make 2014 Topps Tek more interesting for me. I am still hoping Gwynn is not in it, but seeing Ripken on the promos lowers my spirits.

But looking it up on a Japanese site, and then letting Google Chrome translate the page: priceless! I'm hooked!

[FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]
1 pack (8 pieces) [/FONT]
[FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]plan selling price: ¥ 8,500 (tax included)     [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Now accepting! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Will be released November 5 [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]brand new "high-tech" debuts on Topps Corporation monopoly sale MLB official baseball card! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]It was released between 1998-2000, in a variety of transparent plastic card pattern [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]that brand shocked the resurrection that was upgraded along with the autograph of the star player! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]From box = pack, available one regular card six parallel + one + autograph! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Regular card a card 100 people Star & Rookie! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Pattern is depicted in colorful foil transparent plastic card, [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]variations thereof, 12 patterns per player! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Parallel set in each 99 sheets or less, gold that reflects each color (Limited serial), [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Ice (Limited), disco (Limited), cloud (only), Red Storm (10 sheets), [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Blue Dot (five), charcoal Galactic in (1OF1) Difurakuta, [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]and black-and-white photo (1OF1) printing plate also (15 pieces) version! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]First appearance! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Insert the card into direct sign writing of the old and the new star of MLB also one enclosed in a box! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Disco (Limited), cloud (only), Red Storm (10 sheets), Blue Dot (five), [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]charcoal in Galactic (1OF1), printing plates (1OF1), black-and-white photo (15 sheets)! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]In addition, the original card at the time also sealed with autographed by buy-back from the market! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]In addition, insert card was popular at that time also revival in the design of nostalgia that! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]1999 Tekunishanzu de Hula restrictor (25 species)! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Sign version of direct write 10 players also (10 sheets)! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]2000 Tectonics de Hula restrictor (20 species)! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Sign version of direct write 10 players also (10 sheets)! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Low Tech Day Hula restrictor (35 species)! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]Sign version of direct write 10 players also (15 pieces)! [/FONT][FONT=ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3]One piece of probability from the case, reprinted design de Hula compactors or Buyback autograph!

LTB: 2014 Gwynn Low Tech Day Hula restrictor! Top $$ paid! I need all species![/FONT]

Lol!

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
What pisses me off is it creates an eBay mess and disaster because EVERY card in the release will go up on eBay, even base... and with no stated print runs like we're back in the '90s, people will not want to get taken, so they'll just list ever card for $100 or something and it'll be a mad dash to figure out what cards are rare, what to pay, etc. Just a mess. I'm not looking forward to this at all. I can't say how much I hope Belle isn't in this or at least he is in it but at a minimum. Just can see a zillion cards up on eBay from this release... what a mess

The sell sheet I saw had print runs stated.Where did you see print runs not released?

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
I see no indication on the sell sheet that ANY retired (except Mariano) players are in this issue. Belle? No way...

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I might be looking at this a different way. How many packs of cards do you open, from high end to low end, where you're confident you'll have a buyer for each and every one of those cards? When I take a step back, this seems like a great high end product where everybody gets what they want, albeit, player/set collectors will get them on the secondary market.

If I'm looking for a specific player/pattern in '98 Tek, spending $100-150 on a box will barely yield me any of my wants. So I'd still end up looking on the secondary market to fill almost all of my wants. In this case, high end buyers will get a nice hit (presumably) to keep or sell, a parallel card, and 6 cards player/set collectors want.

I'm not a big fan of single pack high end products, but if any of them make sense, I think it would have to be this one.

Great post, [MENTION=6641]Ghumbs[/MENTION] I think what many of us hoped for was a product that changed HOW we collect and took us back to an earlier day. Resale value of individual cards is not a high priority for us, but a layered base set is.

Look at all the action the 1998 Tek thread gets. Collectors are buying, selling, trading, sharing, strategizing, working cooperatively, and setting long-term collecting goals that they actually stick with. There is a community sixteen years after the original release. This release does not "re-revolutionize" or reinvigorate the hobby. It does not even learn from or build on previous accomplishments. It potentially just does a good job of what's already going on in the hobby.

Sure, part of the fun of Tek is the acetate cards, but that is all this release has in common with previous Tek releases. The real joy is the collectability and inherent value of the patterned base cards - the challenge of trying to collect all the base patterns of your player/team and as many of the Diffractors/Golds/whatever as you possibly can. This release completely misses on that.

One aspect of Tek that can never be duplicated, though, is the mystique of what unopened product is still out there hidden in card shops, storage units, closets, warehouses, etc... or destroyed.

Ghumbs

Oct 3, 2011
Seattle, WA
Great post, @Ghumbs I think what many of us hoped for was a product that changed HOW we collect and took us back to an earlier day. Resale value of individual cards is not a high priority for us, but a layered base set is.

Look at all the action the 1998 Tek thread gets. Collectors are buying, selling, trading, sharing, strategizing, working cooperatively, and setting long-term collecting goals that they actually stick with. There is a community sixteen years after the original release. This release does not "re-revolutionize" or reinvigorate the hobby. It does not even learn from or build on previous accomplishments. It potentially just does a good job of what's already going on in the hobby.

Sure, part of the fun of Tek is the acetate cards, but that is all this release has in common with previous Tek releases. The real joy is the collectability and inherent value of the patterned base cards - the challenge of trying to collect all the base patterns of your player/team and as many of the Diffractors/Golds/whatever as you possibly can. This release completely misses on that.

One aspect of Tek that can never be duplicated, though, is the mystique of what unopened product is still out there hidden in card shops, storage units, closets, warehouses, etc... or destroyed.

Some good points. I wasn't really talking about resale value in the sense of ROI, but mores in the sense of collectibility. Meaning, I can open Topps Series 1 and, if I don't want the base cards, essentially nobody else does either. What I'm saying about High Tek is that at least the cards you don't want, likely someone else will. That is true for 1998 and it's true for 2014.

However, I see what you mean about the community aspect of it. You won't have as many set/player collectors buying wax and you won't see as many have lists from other Tek collectors like you see in the 98' thread. I think the want lists will still be there, but it will be geared more towards buying the cards than trading with other Tek collectors.

It still seems like a solid high end product in this day and age, but I can understand your disappointment. Chalk it up to "they just don't make 'em like they used to."

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
The original Tek was NOT HOT when it was a new product. In fact I remember being surprised when the second release can out. I ordered a bunch of the new Tek, planning on breaking a case or two.

Members online

Latest posts