Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Now you can buy 1285 sets at once!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Sure, and 33 years later when you have been able to seek all those sets at $10 each, then you have your profit.

Actually, I only looked at the photos and didn't read what type those larger sets were, but most of the boxed sets I saw are maybe a deal at $1 each. If you had the time and patience, maybe there is money to be made, but unless there is something somewhat scarce or especially desirable (and why would those be packed into a large cut rate set dump), it is probably not worth the time for that level of investment.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Sure, and 33 years later when you have been able to seek all those sets at $10 each, then you have your profit.

Actually, I only looked at the photos and didn't read what type those larger sets were, but most of the boxed sets I saw are maybe a deal at $1 each. If you had the time and patience, maybe there is money to be made, but unless there is something somewhat scarce or especially desirable (and why would those be packed into a large cut rate set dump), it is probably not worth the time for that level of investment.

I was repeating the sales pitch in the description, lol.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Freedom Card Board mobile app

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
That lot is the perfect description of every time someone comes to me and says they have a ton of cards from when they collected as a kid and expects a million dollar offer....

"Dude I have all the sets from like 1986 to 1992! Real good condition! I even have a Canseco RC!" Followed by a look of utter disappointment on their face :(

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
So , in reality what would be a good price in your guys minds to pay for it? .50/set? .25/set? Could you get $500-1000 profit out of it in 6m-yr?

Ryan

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
So , in reality what would be a good price in your guys minds to pay for it? .50/set? .25/set? Could you get $500-1000 profit out of it in 6m-yr?

Ryan

Quarter a set sounds about right. There's so much junk and so much volume of each set it would take 2-3 years to work through it all. Once you factor in purchase price and eBay/PayPal fees, you'd be lucky to get $500 out of it. Patience is the key for this one. Ca

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It would be tough to sell most of it. A lot of eBay buyers are reluctant to pay more for shipping than the set, and none of it is really in demand. Maybe sell the sets in bulk lots for double what you paid for it. But I don't know why anyone would buy 100 Drake's or K-Mart sets.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
It would be tough to sell most of it. A lot of eBay buyers are reluctant to pay more for shipping than the set, and none of it is really in demand. Maybe sell the sets in bulk lots for double what you paid for it. But I don't know why anyone would buy 100 Drake's or K-Mart sets.

Yeah I get it. I've bought / sold this crap before but not in this qty. It's crazy though to look at that and wonder if you got it for .25-.40 cents a set it would be tough to to make $. I'm curious what the current seller ends up getting for it. Right now at $2.50/set they are gonna need to take a large reduction.

Ryan

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio

Ryan

We have a monthly show in Cincy and the same dealers that were trying to peddle these sets in the early to late 90's are still trying to peddle them today. I have asked many when do they give up wheeling those in and out of shows and they look at me like I have three heads. They all say they sell some every now and then at $3-$5 each. I goe to the show in hopes to see something different but usually the same vendors with the same 1989 update sets.

Fordman

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
We have a monthly show in Cincy and the same dealers that were trying to peddle these sets in the early to late 90's are still trying to peddle them today. I have asked many when do they give up wheeling those in and out of shows and they look at me like I have three heads. They all say they sell some every now and then at $3-$5 each. I goe to the show in hopes to see something different but usually the same vendors with the same 1989 update sets.

Fordman

This is one thing I'll never understand. There's a local show that happens quarterly in my area, and it is a rock solid guarantee lock that there's a guy selling the same stuff now that he was in 1999. All the sets you never wanted but could still find for $1 online, being sold for $4 apiece or 3 for $10. Fine layer of dust on top of each box, same pricing sign, same merchandise year in and year out. If you try to offer less than what he's selling them for, he acts as if you asked to do his wife in front of his kids.

Jun 30, 2010
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by fordman

Fordman

This is one thing I'll never understand. There's a local show that happens quarterly in my area, and it is a rock solid guarantee lock that there's a guy selling the same stuff now that he was in 1999. All the sets you never wanted but could still find for $1 online, being sold for $4 apiece or 3 for $10. Fine layer of dust on top of each box, same pricing sign, same merchandise year in and year out. If you try to offer less than what he's selling them for, he acts as if you asked to do his wife in front of his kids.

Of course, we only seem to look at things from our own perspective and everyone has their own opinions. But, if someone brings 50 sets to a show that you would not pay 50 cents for( that is 25.00 total) and he sells a few every show for 3-5 dollars each( lets say 5 as an example, so 15-25 dollars each show), why would you give him a tough time for bringing them to the show? He gets 15-25 EACH show for something you wouldn't give him 25.00 for the lot. And he still has 45 sets left.

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by fordman

Fordman

Of course, we only seem to look at things from our own perspective and everyone has their own opinions. But, if someone brings 50 sets to a show that you would not pay 50 cents for( that is 25.00 total) and he sells a few every show for 3-5 dollars each( lets say 5 as an example, so 15-25 dollars each show), why would you give him a tough time for bringing them to the show? He gets 15-25 EACH show for something you wouldn't give him 25.00 for the lot. And he still has 45 sets left.

But he's not selling them - that's the point. He's hauling the same stuff he's always had in at the same price, and hauling it all back out unsold. I'm saying I've seen the exact same pieces of product - not just the same type of set, but the exact same boxes, year after year.

So yeah, I CAN berate guys like that for never changing a business model and trying to pawn off worthless merchandise at prices that were too high 20 years ago. It's his time and money, he can do what he pleases. But he's also the first guy to talk about how "sales are slow" and "traffic is way down".

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
But he's not selling them - that's the point. He's hauling the same stuff he's always had in at the same price, and hauling it all back out unsold. I'm saying I've seen the exact same pieces of product - not just the same type of set, but the exact same boxes, year after year.

So yeah, I CAN berate guys like that for never changing a business model and trying to pawn off worthless merchandise at prices that were too high 20 years ago. It's his time and money, he can do what he pleases. But he's also the first guy to talk about how "sales are slow" and "traffic is way down".

"and this show sucks" meanwhile, the guy right across to him sells $5000 from his rotating inventory !

Have had that in the show I used to run...

Members online

Latest posts