Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

houstonreds

Apr 16, 2016
Houston
For what its worth the "low quality pics" shown made me curious as to authenticity as they have indicators I don't like. Maybe a good scanner would show the cards off better.

Jeff
It would be great if you could let me know your indicators to look for, probably not best practice to imply that these cards are questionable and maybe not authentic on a public forum without giving an assessment or reason. I'm not looking to move the starting 9s from the above post, but questioning authenticity of valuable cards and creating doubt while just labeling it an opinion could really hurt a sale/trade. Opinions on aesthetics of a card are of course fine, opinions on authenticity given this way should probably require some caution.
Cheers

What about these? :D
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/141217389@N04/25944582544/
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/141217389@N04/26457199582/
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/141217389@N04/25946615293/
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/141217389@N04/26523523356/
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/141217389@N04/25944549774/

Last edited:

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
The last 3 to potentially be sold.

Photo%20Mar%2024%2012%2010%2047%20AM_zpsejwrs4eb.jpg

Love them, but they don't scream must keep. Only the Crusades seem that way to me.

houstonreds

Apr 16, 2016
Houston
Nice Ripken there! I think the pictures used in this set are awesome and look great with the card design. One of my favorite sets to collect! Too bad they're not easy to come by these days

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
Yeah, 1998 release and only 63. Who really knows how many are actually out there. I got mine in 2013 and I have not seen another for sale since...

I don't have any other Fleer numbered card from that year so I have none to compare it to but why would Fleer use a three number die to serial number to 63?

Last edited:

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD

Nice, market values them cheap but a tougher card than most people realize. Beautiful dufex in hand look too. Always a big fan of 1996 En Fuego... as someone who got out of collecting in 95/96 before the serial number craze really took off, these were coveted inserts back in the day.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Nice, market values them cheap but a tougher card than most people realize. Beautiful dufex in hand look too. Always a big fan of 1996 En Fuego... as someone who got out of collecting in 95/96 before the serial number craze really took off, these were coveted inserts back in the day.

There use to be a multi sport price guide. In the mid 90's, that had the entire article section in color. They listed their top 20 insert cards, insert sets, rookie cards and products (so 4 top 20 lists). I remember the En Fuego, Select Big Sticks and Pinnacle Skylines more than anything else, baseball wise. Well, and the '94 SP Holoview Die Cuts.

They now aren't the most valuable, but, I'm beyond proud and excited to say I've got all 4 !!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
If the market is paying a high rate sell em all! I said I'd keep my crusade rainbow too.. then sold the Red for $1200 which was 6 times what I had into it... more than good enough for me to move on completely from collecting cardboard.

The last 3 to potentially be sold.

Photo%20Mar%2024%2012%2010%2047%20AM_zpsejwrs4eb.jpg

Love them, but they don't scream must keep. Only the Crusades seem that way to me.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
What happened to the 20 or so you were gonna hold, change your mind? If these go, the Crusades will follow :)

Ryan

As I sold off things, I had a small pile of cards I love. As I looked at them daily, slowly it became pretty clear. If I'm going to miss the card, I need to keep it. If not, it's time to sell and put the $$$ into savings or good use.

I have zero regrets selling them to this point.

The Select Rainbow is giving me the same feelings now. Sure, they are hard to find and a popular set for the 90's/player collectors. But, having them sit in a box in the closet seems silly. Especially since I no longer have much connection to this hobby on a daily basis. I know it's hard for other player collectors to understand, considering you're all still actively buying cards.

As for the crusades... I own the executive proofs along with the regular issued versions. They seem like some pretty nice cards to have on display with my Biggio Bobblehead army.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
As I sold off things, I had a small pile of cards I love. As I looked at them daily, slowly it became pretty clear. If I'm going to miss the card, I need to keep it. If not, it's time to sell and put the $$$ into savings or good use.

I have zero regrets selling them to this point.

The Select Rainbow is giving me the same feelings now. Sure, they are hard to find and a popular set for the 90's/player collectors. But, having them sit in a box in the closet seems silly. Especially since I no longer have much connection to this hobby on a daily basis. I know it's hard for other player collectors to understand, considering you're all still actively buying cards.

As for the crusades... I own the executive proofs along with the regular issued versions. They seem like some pretty nice cards to have on display with my Biggio Bobblehead army.

No, I totally get it. I've been there, sold, then changed my mind and bought back. I didn't want to exit. I was just curious what changed your mind from hold those 20 or so "iconic" ones to deciding selling. The reasoning makes sense. Sucks to lose someone for the collecting world but I hope your happy with the decision.

Ryan

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
No, I totally get it. I've been there, sold, then changed my mind and bought back. I didn't want to exit. I was just curious what changed your mind from hold those 20 or so "iconic" ones to deciding selling. The reasoning makes sense. Sucks to lose someone for the collecting world but I hope your happy with the decision.

Ryan

I won't be gone entirely. I'm still on a mission to get every Biggio Bobble/SGA I can find. They're pretty cool to display in the apartment.

As far as card collecting... it's really lost it's appeal over the past few years. Not quite sure why, but it doesn't seem to be what it used to be. And that's coming from a former prospector and player collector.

Maybe it's just getting older, life changes, and priorities. I spend a majority of my time in a CrossFit gym, teaching and interacting with people. I have very little time to even watch baseball/sports, let alone invest $$$ into collecting.

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
Here's an authentic item from a trusted eBay seller of high end 90's inserts including some of this hobby's rarest promo's.

www.ebay.com/itm/321680481960

Please compare the photos you have posted on flickr to that item.

Whats occurring to the flickr photos that changes the coloring from what is normally a dark hue to the light blue ? Why is the foiling so diminished its like its not there at all ?? These are just two issues I am having with your photos / cards and why I'm questioning their authenticity.

Jeff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cal-Ripken-...481960?hash=item4ae5a69ea8:g:dCQAAMXQcWVRFCWP

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts