Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Running Hank Greenberg pickup thread!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
From a recent Kevin Savage auction. First ever auction buy! Usually from eBay, shows, forums, etc.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Arguably the biggest pickup in my collecting career. 1937 O Pee Chee Hank Greenberg, the second most sought-after card in the set behind the Joe DiMaggio. This is the rarest vintage card I own, and I'm so happy to spear a serious whale in my Greenberg master vintage set.

Here she is, in all her beauty.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Got this in today from [MENTION=2741]rookieaddict[/MENTION], great guy and great card here

Got this one in from eBay, /60

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Nice additions. Excellent looking signature, too.
DANNY

Thanks. Decided that since the vintage forum was merged here that I'll post each pickup to this thread, vintage or modern instead of creating new threads

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
These two came in today, the remainder of the 2011 Topps set

Base SP

Cognac diamond parallel

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Zan,

You have a great Greenberg collection going on. Thanks so much for taking the time to post your recent acquisitions. Kinda cool to mix the newer, shiny cards, with the vintage. Displaying your collection? Love to see it...

Just as a side note and it's not meant to be negative, but I personally am not too crazy about the cut signature cards, unless they are well put together. I've seen some great looking cards that had the cut signatures. The one you've recently listed is nice, but i'd personally prefer to have this in it's original format.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Zan,

You have a great Greenberg collection going on. Thanks so much for taking the time to post your recent acquisitions. Kinda cool to mix the newer, shiny cards, with the vintage. Displaying your collection? Love to see it...

Just as a side note and it's not meant to be negative, but I personally am not too crazy about the cut signature cards, unless they are well put together. I've seen some great looking cards that had the cut signatures. The one you've recently listed is nice, but i'd personally prefer to have this in it's original format.
Mark,

Thanks for the kind words! I'm not currently displaying my collection, it sits in some cabinets organized in some boxes at the moment..

Speaking on cut autographs, I agree with you 100%. Just today I wrote this blog post speaking on the cut signatures that card companies have been pumping out recently, link is below.

Let me know what you think of it

http://theherowhodidntwanttobe.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-rise-and-fall-of-hank-greenberg-cut.html

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Really like the new cards for your collection. I read the blog and agree that the companies could/should do a much better effort on their cut autos. That one with the H cut off is sad.
DANNY

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Mark,

Thanks for the kind words! I'm not currently displaying my collection, it sits in some cabinets organized in some boxes at the moment..

Speaking on cut autographs, I agree with you 100%. Just today I wrote this blog post speaking on the cut signatures that card companies have been pumping out recently, link is below.

Let me know what you think of it

http://theherowhodidntwanttobe.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-rise-and-fall-of-hank-greenberg-cut.html

Zan,

I just read the blog and I couldn't agree with you more and thanks for sharing your thoughts on the matter. It seems to me that many of the early cut signatures placed into cards were well thought out, the opening fit the signature and it had an actual picture of the player. Now, you have a slot for the auto, but many times it doesn't quite fit the opening. I personally don't like the sticker autographs either; I understand the concept, but don't collect them personally.

Some of those HG cuts are very nice that you pictured. Those, to me, are keepers. With his signature I just think it's a waste when the card companies cut a portion of his auto off, even if it's just a little bit.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Zan,

I just read the blog and I couldn't agree with you more and thanks for sharing your thoughts on the matter. It seems to me that many of the early cut signatures placed into cards were well thought out, the opening fit the signature and it had an actual picture of the player. Now, you have a slot for the auto, but many times it doesn't quite fit the opening. I personally don't like the sticker autographs either; I understand the concept, but don't collect them personally.

Some of those HG cuts are very nice that you pictured. Those, to me, are keepers. With his signature I just think it's a waste when the card companies cut a portion of his auto off, even if it's just a little bit.

Thanks for your compliments. I enjoyed writing the piece and really diving deep into the cut signature world. I just will continue to wonder why they have regressed so much

Members online

Latest posts