Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

===== Pay-It-Forward Discussion ========

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
------OFFICIAL PAY-IT-FORWARD THREAD (Card Posted)-----------

Another alternative is to conduct a poll where members vote for the person who will receive the card. The person offering the card would select the top 3 offers and the community would make the final call. Just brainstorming here...

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

That sounds like a good option too

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
A committee? Really? If that is what is needed for this to work, then I just think this is the wrong place for a PIF. The mere fact that people think a committee is needed and a week long process to move one card is insane. There is a very simple answer - the person who puts up a card gets to review what the other person is going to post as the replacement card and approves it before he sends his card. Unless people have absolute rocks for brains, this should work just fine.

For example, and I'm just using this as an example! The Jeter and Mattingly that were just put up to replace the Ismail don't appear right to me. They are definitely better than some of the stuff we have seen, but they still fall short of what the thread was supposed to be about. The POINT of the PIF was to out-do the previous person and show the generosity of the members participating in this (which, frankly, I'm beginning to think won't happen no matter what). Not take a $30 single card and replace it with two cards that average about $6 a piece. I think @jbhoffman would agree that this is what he had in mind when he created this thread. And this is not a knock on Eddie b/c I know he's a great guy. It's just the concept here in general and the PIF that just took place illustrates what I'm getting at.

If you want to put up multiple cards, fine, but at least have one of them be equal or better than the previous lot.

I think the brutal truth is that there is no real interest by the community here at FCB in doing this right. To compare this one to the one at CU is a joke. The people that participate on those boards appear to be VERY different people than here at FCB.

steve-a-reno

Aug 7, 2008
This thread is like old yeller. You loved her, but it's time to put her down.

Kiddos again to jbhoffman and mike for trying to do something really cool.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
A committee? Really? If that is what is needed for this to work, then I just think this is the wrong place for a PIF. The mere fact that people think a committee is needed and a week long process to move one card is insane. There is a very simple answer - the person who puts up a card gets to review what the other person is going to post as the replacement card and approves it before he sends his card. Unless people have absolute rocks for brains, this should work just fine.

For example, and I'm just using this as an example! The Jeter and Mattingly that were just put up to replace the Ismail don't appear right to me. They are definitely better than some of the stuff we have seen, but they still fall short of what the thread was supposed to be about. The POINT of the PIF was to out-do the previous person and show the generosity of the members participating in this (which, frankly, I'm beginning to think won't happen no matter what). Not take a $30 single card and replace it with two cards that average about $6 a piece. I think @jbhoffman would agree that this is what he had in mind when he created this thread. And this is not a knock on Eddie b/c I know he's a great guy. It's just the concept here in general and the PIF that just took place illustrates what I'm getting at.

If you want to put up multiple cards, fine, but at least have one of them be equal or better than the previous lot.

I think the brutal truth is that there is no real interest by the community here at FCB in doing this right. To compare this one to the one at CU is a joke. The people that participate on those boards appear to be VERY different people than here at FCB.

I don't know the CU thread at all, but I agree with everything else in this post. I just looked at the last 2 cards posted and thought, this thread has moved no where.

Kill it already.

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
To compare this thread to the one on CU isn't fair. I just read through all 76 pages over there. This thread was started with a cut auto of Aaron. That thread was started with a Chipper Jones Score RC and an O/C 1975 Carlton.

That thread had nowhere to go but up as this one had nowhere to go but down

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
To compare this thread to the one on CU isn't fair. I just read through all 76 pages over there. This thread was started with a cut auto of Aaron. That thread was started with a Chipper Jones Score RC and an O/C 1975 Carlton.

Untrue, with as far as this thread has gone down, there have been multiples chances for it to go UP. And when it did, it was not maintained. that is the real story here. So it started high, and dropped, well when people tried to keep it high, others let it drop. Simple.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
...so if the current one comes to an end, are we just starting a new one? Is that what's being considered?

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana

You claimed a card (Soler Ref Auto) that was arguably a higher SV than the Aaron cut. The member never came through for you and I felt awful for you, but to say it couldn't have went up is fairly short sighted.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
You claimed a card (Soler Ref Auto) that was arguably a higher SV than the Aaron cut. The member never came through for you and I felt awful for you, but to say it couldn't have went up is fairly short sighted.

Some people didn't mail the cards out?

And agree here that the thread could have stayed with higher end cards. The very first transaction should not have been allowed, it was doomed when the kid put up a ten dollar card and said "all my really good cards are pc" which is the opposite of the thread idea. Good on you and alex as well but look at some of those cards that were put up and it's terrible. The kershaw plate guy saying he's been trying to sell it and no one will buy it so here it is? smh

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca

And agree here that the thread could have stayed with higher end cards. The very first transaction should not have been allowed, it was doomed when the kid put up a ten dollar card and said "all my really good cards are pc" which is the opposite of the thread idea. Good on you and alex as well but look at some of those cards that were put up and it's terrible. The kershaw plate guy saying he's been trying to sell it and no one will buy it so here it is? smh

Thanks Lance - the card that I claimed actually went into someone else's PC. I wanted to jump start it with my first donation, then wanted to jump start it again with my second. I haven't personally taken any cards from this thread because nothing came up that I could PC. Which is fine, but I put some effort into this and although it didn't go unnoticed (which wasn't my reason behind it) it didn't get reciprocated which honestly was.

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012

Karma came back for me I guess. I ended up buying a Blue Soler auto from a board member for a price we were both very happy with and some great members did some things so that not only was I not out the cards i sent out as a PIF but I got some additional pc things back.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI

Wow, thanks a lot for making me out to be an ******* for giving away a Kershaw plate that went into somebody's PC. As a matter of fact, I did try to sell it here, to someone who PCs Kershaw, and they didn't seem interested in it. So yes, I tried to sell it and no one bought it, because I offered it privately to one person. Guess that makes me a bad guy, I bet the guy who ended up getting that plate for nothing thinks I'm a horrible guy. What did you contribute to this thing anyways, besides name-calling and belittling other peoples' contributions, you jerk?

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Wow, thanks a lot for making me out to be an ******* for giving away a Kershaw plate that went into somebody's PC. As a matter of fact, I did try to sell it here, to someone who PCs Kershaw, and they didn't seem interested in it. So yes, I tried to sell it and no one bought it, because I offered it privately to one person. Guess that makes me a bad guy, I bet the guy who ended up getting that plate for nothing thinks I'm a horrible guy. What did you contribute to this thing anyways, besides name-calling and belittling other peoples' contributions, you jerk?

You don't have to be so defensive, I only used you as an example.

As to what did I contribute? I was on the board live when it started and I could have claimed the first card but I would be way too embarrassed of the gesture to receive that for free. I had and still do have some nice things for the thread but after that first transaction I decided to sit back for awhile. When I checked back in, it was your turn so that's why I used you. Wasn't personal. To answer your question more directly, I contributed exactly what you did= nothing. The only difference between us is that I did not take from it. You took a card you wanted and replaced it with a card you didn't want and previously had tried to sell. That is not paying it forward. You dumped a card off. Anyway, whatever...

P.S. I didn't name call anyone, but you called me a jerk :razz:

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
The first card that I "took" from this thread was for another collector... The second card I attempted to get was also for another person's PC, that I was going to give them at not charge/cost/trade.

The Jeter/Mattingly has about a $5 difference in sales price and they are nice cards for a Yankees fan.

And I guess what I thought the point of this thread was was to offer cards that would fit in to another person's PC and to take ones that would fit in your PC. Well, my PC is so specific, it's hard to come up with stuff that I need. So instead, I try to get cards for other people that can use it for their collection.

So instead of offering my stuff up, I am just going to tag [MENTION=3257]deceptikon1978[/MENTION] and see if he wants to put something up for the Ismail redemption.

I guess this has just been a huge cluster XXXX and should just die.

Bill, still love ya, just expressing my opinion. :)

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
It will die if no one gives a XXXX. If the card/s aren't claimed in a day or so it should be switched up increase the chances that someone could use it.
Got my lot today, Thanks Alex - the Sutton is my 509th different 1966 Topps. There are alot of other great cards to add to the pc.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
It will die if no one gives a XXXX. If the card/s aren't claimed in a day or so it should be switched up increase the chances that someone could use it.
Got my lot today, Thanks Alex - the Sutton is my 509th different 1966 Topps. There are alot of other great cards to add to the pc.

I'd like to second this. I think Eddie needs to swap out the cards he posted and try something else.
[MENTION=2394]tonsofcommons[/MENTION] Eddie, here is what I hope is a helpful suggestion: I will take ANYTHING that is remotely close in value to the Ismail (about $25-30 per ebay sales) of: Bowman Chrome Autograph RCs from here http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...011-bowman-chrome-baseball-autograph-rcs.html, a couple nice Redsox cards, a decent Autographed Baseball, a couple nice New England Patriots cards and, if found to be suitable to you, I will replace it with a Steiner Authenticated Jesus Montero Autographed OMLB & a 15 ct lot of Jesus Montero cards. I think that will add a little umph above the previous offer and I personally feel it's a pretty nice offering that won't last very long.

Latest posts