Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

You ever get shocked by your collection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Today I spent some time sorting out & re arranging my promo/ sample card PC.

What originally started as "just putting them together" has turned into a collection of about 600 different promo/ sample cards spanning every sport , non sports & stuff you couldn't even imagine (endangered wildlife cards!)

I love every second of it & pretty psyched how its turned out.

Have you ever been shocked in your collection when you step back & look at it?

Tpm2780

Dec 27, 2012
Illinois
I do sometimes knowing that I have invested a lot of money in my Griffey PC. I know that in the end I will always enjoy it and wouldn't have collected any other way!:)

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I get overwhelmed when I think about how much I've spent, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. My wife gets annoyed sometimes, but my friends all think it's bad ass that I have so much. And most of my stuff is still packed away as I need some display cases and such.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Sometimes I'm shocked by the prospect stash I absent-mindedly put together. I don't actively go after one or two guys in particular, but I always have a list in my head of 10-or-so guys that I know I want to get and at what cost/value. Since I'm not actively acquiring, I tend to not know what I have. That's how I ended up with doezens of Wil Myers, Shelby Miller and Gary Sanchez chrome autos.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
Whenever I have to move, I'm shocked by how much more I've horded lol. Also when I have a fellow collector over, and they are amazed by what I have, that always makes me take a step back and fully appreciate all that I do have.

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
I don't know if "shocked" would adequately describe the feeling. For me, it's more of a trip down memory lane that brings a smile to my face. I'll always remember the 1969 season as the last season my mother and I spent going to Mets games together. The fact that I was able to attend the 5th game of the World Series when the Mets won it all with her, helps keep me focused on my collection. I'm currently converting our computer room into a Mets Man Cave that will feature nothing but items directly related to that season in Mets history.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
I'm glad you specifically mentioned baseball.

I am surprised at some of the stuff I've bought that doesn't fir into my collection. I look at it and shake my head.

Sent from my motorolla startac.

I heard you started collecting Power Puff Girls, Christie Brinkley, and JerMichael Finley yesterday. I wish you all the best in those collections sir!

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
This is kind of off topic but I have actually been thinking about it a lot lately and I figured I should share my story. When I was a freshman in high school (2002), I started collecting a player by the name of Ilja Bryzgalov, a goalie for the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. I started collecting him when one day I randomly watched a hockey game and he was their backup and a rookie player. They were playing the Colorado Avalanche and, if I remember correctly this was the year that they went on to win the Stanley Cup, anyways Bryz made an absolutely ridiculous saved against future Hall of Famer, Peter Forsberg and I decided I wanted to have everyone of his rookie cards. Over the course of the next two and half years, I tracked down every issued card of his from his rookie season. Then, in I believe 2004 or 2005, when Jean-Sebastian Giguere was injured and they were forced to make a playoff run, Bryz went on an absolute tear and set the rookie record for consecutive shutouts by a goalie in the playoffs, and I instantly realized that this collection that I had slowly been building up of a player that nobody had heard of or cared about was worth a significant amount of money to a high school student. So, before he ended up fizzing out and getting replaced by JS in the conference finals, I had sold this collection that I had built for probably $150 for around $500. at the time, I was only missing three cards from having the entire print run of every one of his rookie cards. Since then, I have casually check his stuff every week and I have yet to see three or four of the cards that were in my collection. I think selling those cards was the end of me having a legitimately fun time collecting, just for the fun of it, now I am always after the money which is unfortunate.

So, to answer your question, am I shocked about my collection-I would have to say no I'm not shocked I am a little bit disappointed. Part of me hopes that someday I will find that player who meant as much to me as Bryz did, but with all of the parallels and all of the rare cards I just don't know how that's going to happen. This year in football, with Eric Legrand, and the generosity of many of board members on this website and blowout, I was able to put together his master collection, owning every one of his cards printed and all parallels. Unfortunately, I don't foresee any more of his cards being released.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Its gonna be a SAD Day When I sell out :(
90scurio5.jpg

rickey5191

May 24, 2011
I only worry about what my daughter and wife will do with it when I pass away. They could care less about it and I don't want them just to throw it away.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I only worry about what my daughter and wife will do with it when I pass away. They could care less about it and I don't want them just to throw it away.

I've sized myself up, I'll fit right inside the Curio if it comes to that LOL........hehe

cub4life78

Jan 1, 2013
Tx
I was overwhelmed when going through my ttm/ip auto collection so I decided to sell it all. Alot of them are multiple copies they signed instead of keeping as I offered. Ugb

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD MAXX

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
I mostly get shocked about my early 2010 purchases from when I was new back in the hobby. Overpaying to have the first one I saw, not realizing that I could buy the same thing in a year for 25% of the cost.

It is odd to me that I have probably the best collection of Vanderbilt related cards, and that I have 14 1/1s...

Members online