Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

If looking to sell entire collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I have been considering doing it, and know there are people who buy collections all the time. But i have a few questions. If broken down individually and sold off, lets say I could get around 15-20K+. I still have to really look at it to get a better picture, may be more or a little less. What could I expect realistically for the whole lot? Is there any reputable people out there people know who buy large collections? I am not looking to get completely screwed and someone to come in and offer 5K. Is it better to take out the bigger ticket items and sell those indivdually then sell the lesser inserts/cards for a lump sum? Looking for opinions or help. Thanks all.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I have been considering doing it, and know there are people who buy collections all the time. But i have a few questions. If broken down individually and sold off, lets say I could get around 15-20K+. I still have to really look at it to get a better picture, may be more or a little less. What could I expect realistically for the whole lot? Is there any reputable people out there people know who buy large collections? I am not looking to get completely screwed and someone to come in and offer 5K. Is it better to take out the bigger ticket items and sell those indivdually then sell the lesser inserts/cards for a lump sum? Looking for opinions or help. Thanks all.

It's best to break it down and sell it yourself. The companies/people that have the $$$ to spend on large collections, will not come anywhere close to what you'd get selling them individually. And honestly, they don't need to. There are tons of people willing to take pennies on the dollar just to get rid of their collection in one, hassle-free swoop.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Lots of variables. What kind of collection (mainly inserts? Lots of game used? A ton of base? Etc)

Also, when I buy collections, I work under the expectation that I can sell enough from the collection within 60 days to pay for the entire collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
Not really a question others can answer for you. It all depends on how much you value your time and how much time you have. Say you could get 20k but that would take 500hrs of your time listing/packing/etc but you could get 5k by finding a reseller who buys it and that takes 5hrs of finding someone to come out. 15k is a chunk of change but that is only $30/hr. For some that is worth it for others that is not. Obviously these numbers are completely random, but it all depends on how you value your time...

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Lots of variables. What kind of collection (mainly inserts? Lots of game used? A ton of base? Etc)

Also, when I buy collections, I work under the expectation that I can sell enough from the collection within 60 days to pay for the entire collection.

I have everything from sets, inserts, commons, bobbleheads, gu, autos, etc. I also have some big ticket items lile my 98 precious metals set. I think i need to catalog it all then put some feelers out

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
IMO if you are looking to sell your entire collection to one person and they intend to break it up and sell it off, you can expect about 50-60 cents on each dollar of value.

So if you and the buyer agree that the entire lot is worth lets say 10k, you can expect to receive 5000-6000. Off the top, if the buyer sells on eBay, they will incur about 13% in ebay and paypal fees. Listing takes time, packaging takes time, going to PO takes time, etc. Time is money. I know that I wouldnt pay more than 60% of value, due to those factors.

Thats my honest opinion.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA

I appreciate all the comments, i understand the resller mentality, that is probably why i will just lump all the lower end stuff and sell for cheap, then keep the higher end stuff and sell indiviudally, makes sense.... thanks again all!!

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I appreciate all the comments, i understand the resller mentality, that is probably why i will just lump all the lower end stuff and sell for cheap, then keep the higher end stuff and sell indiviudally, makes sense.... thanks again all!!

Another option might be to use a consignor. They usually charge 10-15% (on top of what ebay/paypal charge) but they do all the work.

Members online

Latest posts