Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Josh Johnson retires at age 32.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Sorry [MENTION=3743]AmishDave[/MENTION]

ESPN - Pitcher Josh Johnson, one of the most dominant starters in the major leagues during his peak seasons with the Florida Marlins, is retiring from baseball at age 32, his agent, Matt Sosnick, told ESPN.com Thursday.

Johnson, who underwent three Tommy John surgeries on his right elbow during his career, signed a minor league contract with the San Francisco Giants in early November. But he decided to retire with less than a month to go before the start of spring training.

Johnson posted a career 58-45 record with a 3.40 ERA for the Marlins and Toronto Blue Jays. During the 2009-2010 seasons, he went a combined 26-11 with a 2.80 ERA in 61 starts for the Marlins. He made two straight National League All-Star teams and finished fifth in the 2010 National League Cy Young Award balloting.

The Marlins sent Johnson, Mark Buehrle and Jose Reyes to Toronto as part of a 12-player trade in November 2012. Johnson went 2-8 with a 6.20 ERA for the Blue Jays in 2013 before undergoing his second elbow reconstruction in April 2014. He attempted a comeback with the San Diego Padres, but was never able to make it back to the majors.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
For a few years it looked like he was destined for a great career. This is the main reason why pitchers are an awful investment IMO. Buy low, sell high and run into the sunset.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Not even trying to be funny but I had already thought he retired years ago. THREE TJ surgeries is nuts! He was very dominant for a few years but I guess injuries got the best of him. That's a shame.

This brings back memories of Brandon Webb. From 2006-2008 he was one of the best pitchers in baseball, winning a Cy Young and finishing runner up the other couple seasons and then the very next season he suffered a career ending injury and never pitched again. I hate to see things like this happen.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
kind of weird you'd have the third TJ, sign a minor league deal, and then give up before ST. If you are afraid of a 4th TJ or fell out of love with baseball, I get it, but if those weren't the reasons why not give it a shot and see what's left in the arm with the minor league contract if it is one of those with an out clause for June 1st if you don't get a callup.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I just want to meet him once ... I wouldn't care if it was even at a furniture store grand opening! My JJ collection trumps my Northcutt's, unfortunately...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Freedom Card Board mobile app
Meeting a PC guy is great, especially they're really cool. I've met Brandon Wood, Roger Clemens, Ryan McMahon and Phil Bickford. Clemens was pretty cool given he's a mega star and I didn't pay to meet him

Collecting: Phil Bickford, Brandon Wood (still), Yankees and Rockies

Members online

Latest posts