Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Are you a bigger fan than me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
One problem with watching so much sports, or just broadcast TV for that matter, is the commercials that get played every break and press themselves into your brain. For me, the one that's grinding my gears the hardest lately is the one for baseball products with all these kids talking about how big a fan of their teams they are, and they prove it by whoever buys the most MLB licensed crap. And they are horrible people. What family only loves one particular league and dresses all their kids, with different teams on the same kid? It's almost as bad as the football family whose each member is a fan of a different team, and appeared to swap allegiances based on just moving to a new town or marrying someone or eating a sandwich.

But that got me thinking, how would you prove your "fanhood," if push came to shove somehow. So I thought it would be something about the knowledge of your team, your long experience following them. So I decided that a good test would be to see how many players you could name who played for your team at some point. It wouldn't matter how long they played (Piazza would count for Marlins), or when, or in what incarnation (you could count Boston, Milwaukee, or Atlanta Braves). I would tend to count the Expos different from the Nationals, but whatever, there are few hard and fast rules in this game. I subjectively decided 100 would be a good goal, at least for most teams. If you're a Rays or DBacks fan, maybe that would be tough.

So I started this morning trying to name all the Phillies I could think of, and it has been surprisingly difficult. My memory isn't what it used to be, but even so, after cycling through who I could recall from my childhood with the big teams of the Schmidt-Carlton-Rose era, the 1993 team, and the 2008 team, and the Hall of Famers, I'm flailing. I spent five solid minutes trying to remember the name of a guy I really liked in the early 90s who had a tiny bit of heat as a rookie but then vanished quickly (Kevin Stocker), and I'm not just mentally going through my collection trying to picture the names on cards from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. So far I'm up to 60. I'll get to 100 eventually, I think, but this is turning out to be a challenge, at least for me.

Anyone care to try? No cheating.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
I’ve long wondered what criteria would be used to claim “biggest fan”. Most stuff just equals most money. Most knowledge can just be better recall or memory. I don’t know, but I’m sure I can name more than 100 Mets players, but I sure as heck aren’t going to sit here and type out a 100+ names lol

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
How could I prove my fandom if necessary?

Well, I have a big @ss St. Louis Cardinals tattoo on my right calf.

Casual fans don’t make it permanent on their body.

I also have a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle (Leonardo) tattoo, and a Super Mario tattoo.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I have a Yankee tatoo and while making love to my wife I talk dirty to her in my best John Sterling voice. She use to talk like Suzyn but I couldn't last long enough

Bring me your Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Senzatela and Peter Lambert cards

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
100 St. Louis Cardinals without cheating.

1. Ozzie Smith
2. Red Schoendienst
3. Edgar Renteria
4. Yadier Molina
5. Albert Pujols
6. Stan Musial
7. Matt Holliday
8. Gary Gaetti
9. Enos Slaughter
10. Eduardo Perez
11. Jose Oquendo
12. Aaron Miles
13. Sidney Ponson
14. Ken Boyer
15. Jim Edmonds
16. Ray Lankford
17. Dizzy Dean
18. Mike Shannon
19. Woody Williams
20. Lou Brock
21. Curt Flood
22. David Eckstein
23. David Freese
24. Sam Freeman
25. Dexter Fowler
26. Eli Marrero
27. Scott Rolen
28. Gary Bennett
29. Chris Carpenter
30. John Smoltz
31. Chris Duncan
32. Josh Hanc*ck
33. Larry Walker
34. Brad Thompson
35. Matt Morris
36. Mike Laga
37. Mark McGwire
38. Daffy Dean
39. Bob Eucker
40. Joe Torre
41. Rafael Belliard
42. Bruce Sutter
43. Tino Martinez
44. Jason Isringhausen
45. Bob Gibson
46. Randal Grichuk
47. Tommy Pham
48. Dave Veres
49. Steve Kline
50. Adam Wainwright
51. Willie McGee
52. Bud Smith
53. Andy Benes
54. Alan Benes
55. Dan Haren
56. Stephen Piscotty
57. Darryl Kile
58. Joe Kelly
59. Mike Matheny
60. Allen Craig
61. Frankie Frisch
62. Harrison Bader
63. Joe Medwick
64. Joe Magrane
65. Jeff Fassaro
66. Rick Ankiel
67. Reggie Sanders
68. Lance Berkman
69. Cy Young
70. Stubby Clapp
71. Ozzie Canseco
72. Matt Adams
73. Colby Rasmus
74. Alex Reyes
75. Oscar Taveras
76. Al Hrabosky
77. Cris Carpenter
78. Kolten Wong
79. Fernando Vina
80. Ernie Broglio
81. Tony Cruz
82. Eric Fryer
83. Matt Carpenter
84. Carlos Martinez
85. Lance Lynn
86. Geoff Long
87. Marty Marion
88. Brett Tomko
89. Brian Jordan
90. Tito Landrum
91. Zack Duke
92. Dennis Eckersley
93. Andy Van Slyke
94. Jack Clark
95. Terry Pendleton
96. Ted Simmons
97. Lee Smith
98. Bo Hart
99. So Taguchi
100. Rogers Hornsby

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I'll just whip out my Dad's "MCGWIRE" Pennsylvania license plate.

Or that Art Howe was my favorite player growing up...

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have been cataloging Dodger autographs for many years now, so I could probably get close to 500 before things started to get difficult for me. That doesn't necessarily prove I am a fan though.

Just imagining the cards each year would help a great deal in recalling who was on the team. I would never try to claim I was a bigger fan than anyone else though. To each their own level of fandom. I have been loosely following the Dodgers for 40 years, but this year I am much more connected to the team at this moment than any other time since the 81 World Series (I basically missed the 88 WS due to being in the Navy and being disconnected from baseball for a few years). In past years, I might only check the standings now and again or see who they picked up so I could add a signature of that player.

The Dodgers are also the primary focus of my collecting habit. I pretty much take anything I can find that is related to the Dodgers.

Here are 40 off the top of my head from the 50s-present that most people have probably never heard of, let alone knew they were Dodgers:

Noe Munoz, Will Brunson, Chance Sanford, Gary Moore, Terry McDermott, Bob O'Brien, John Jenkins, Don Crow, Tim Harkness, Bob Darnell, Chuck Churn, Mike Strahler, Joe Simpson, Mike Ramsey (x2), Reggie Williams (x2), Frank Lankford, John Duffie, Roy Gleason, Enzo Hernandez, Jack Smith, Dick Smith, Charlie Smith, Myron White, Larry White, Dennis Lewallyn, Larry See, Craig Shipley, Wayne Kirby, Butch Davis, Brian Traxler, Mike Busch, Brad Havens, Mike Vail, Mike Trombley, Dave Mlacki, Koyie Hill, Mike Edwards, Mike Rose.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Anyone know about the Mendoza Line?

Yes, Seattle Mariners Mario Mendoza has become synonymous with the "Mendoza Line" thanks to George Brett..

Anyone remember that Lou Piniella was a Seattle Pilot back in 1969.. but was traded to KC and became the ROY..
(The Seattle Pilots were only here 1 year until that dip**** Bud Selig moved them to Milwaukee.. )

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom

Yes, Seattle Mariners Mario Mendoza has become synonymous with the "Mendoza Line" thanks to George Brett..

Anyone remember that Lou Piniella was a Seattle Pilot back in 1969.. but was traded to KC and became the ROY..
(The Seattle Pilots were only here 1 year until that dip**** Bud Selig moved them to Milwaukee.. )

Seems like it worked out pretty well for Bud.

World Series appearance, went on to become commissioner, and then the Hall of Fame.

Who’s to say any of that happens for him if he stays in Seattle?

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I have been cataloging Dodger autographs for many years now, so I could probably get close to 500 before things started to get difficult for me. That doesn't necessarily prove I am a fan though.

Just imagining the cards each year would help a great deal in recalling who was on the team. I would never try to claim I was a bigger fan than anyone else though. To each their own level of fandom. I have been loosely following the Dodgers for 40 years, but this year I am much more connected to the team at this moment than any other time since the 81 World Series (I basically missed the 88 WS due to being in the Navy and being disconnected from baseball for a few years). In past years, I might only check the standings now and again or see who they picked up so I could add a signature of that player.

The Dodgers are also the primary focus of my collecting habit. I pretty much take anything I can find that is related to the Dodgers.

Here are 40 off the top of my head from the 50s-present that most people have probably never heard of, let alone knew they were Dodgers:

Noe Munoz, Will Brunson, Chance Sanford, Gary Moore, Terry McDermott, Bob O'Brien, John Jenkins, Don Crow, Tim Harkness, Bob Darnell, Chuck Churn, Mike Strahler, Joe Simpson, Mike Ramsey (x2), Reggie Williams (x2), Frank Lankford, John Duffie, Roy Gleason, Enzo Hernandez, Jack Smith, Dick Smith, Charlie Smith, Myron White, Larry White, Dennis Lewallyn, Larry See, Craig Shipley, Wayne Kirby, Butch Davis, Brian Traxler, Mike Busch, Brad Havens, Mike Vail, Mike Trombley, Dave Mlacki, Koyie Hill, Mike Edwards, Mike Rose.

This is basically where I would fall too. I can name, off the top of my head, probably 700ish current and former Astros. I would never pretend to be a bigger fan of the team than any particular person. I don't think a die hard fan is any more valuable than a casual bandwagon fan. In fact, the bandwagon fans pay the bills!

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
100 Phillies

randy lerch
mike schmidt
richie ashburn
bake mcbride
garry maddox
steve carlton
bob boone
larry bowa
manny trillo
pete rose
greg luzinski
del unser
greg gross
warren brusstar
jim kaat
bob walk
ruben amaro
ruben amaro jr
ramon aviles
sherry magee
jim konstanty
robin roberts
dick allen
dick ruthven
ollie brown
dave cash
aaron altherr
rhys hoskins
curt schilling
darren daulton
ryan howard
jimmy rollins
chase utley
frank baker
roy halladay
cliff lee
bobby abreu
john kruk
lenny dykstra
billy wagner
sparky lyle
bobby valentine
johnny oates
von hayes
desi relaford
marlon byrd
randy wolf
brandon duckworth
cameron rupp
cesar hernandez
roman quinn
maikel franco
darin ruf
dickie noles
mickey morandini
chris coste
kevin stocker
earl torgeson
doug glanville
doug bird
ed watt
larry christensen
kevin saucier
carlos ruiz
scott rolen
pat burrell
johnny callison
gary matthews
mitch williams
terry mulholland
steve bedrosian
ozzie virgil
gene garber
bob dernier
rick wise
bob tolan
nino espinosa
dale murphy
daniel nava
tim mccarver
tommy hutton
eddie waitkus
gavvy cravath
darold knowles
paul byrd
jim bunning
fernando valenzuela
mike lieberthal
pat combs
shane victorino
juan samuel
kevin gross
george vukovich
jimmie foxx
del ennis
howie kendrick
jayson werth
marty bystrom
kevin millwood
terry harmon

Man, that was way harder than I thought it would be. I've been working at this pretty steadily since I posted. I learned something. I had near the top of my list Con Dempsey, because he is in the 1952 Topps set as a Phillie, the first 52T I bought as a kid, and I still have it. According to the card back, after coming up with the Pirates he was "drafted" by the Phillies, I assume some sort of 1950s Rule V draft or something, and Topps airbrushed his hat red. But he never played in the Majors for the Phils, and maybe never even played in the minors as baseball-reference.com doesn't have anything on him after 1951.

And I can't believe I forgot Curt Simmons and Pete Alexander.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011

Remember that Lou Piniella was an Oriole first...

I’m possibly one of the biggest ‘60’s - 70’s Orioles fan, a big fan of the rest of the years O’s, loved all of the Orioles players (excluding Jackson ;) )and possibly the biggest Brooks Robinson fan. So, I’m pretty much a lifer O’s fan.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
This is basically where I would fall too. I can name, off the top of my head, probably 700ish current and former Astros. I would never pretend to be a bigger fan of the team than any particular person. I don't think a die hard fan is any more valuable than a casual bandwagon fan. In fact, the bandwagon fans pay the bills!

Casual fans don't bother me but they can be hard to have a decent conversation with about the team at times. But I don't think that makes them any less valuable to the team.

I am not fond of those commercials either.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I posted this idea on FaceBook and one of my friends decided to do professional wrestlers.

I thought that idea sounded fun, so I did it too, with a twist.

I tried making this as hard as possible on myself, so I decided to split it in half. 50 female wrestlers, who actually performed in the ring instead of being a valet only. Then Bullet Club members, NWO, members, and ECW alumni.

1. Alexa Bliss
2. Alundra Blaze
3. Cameron
4. Naomi
5. Fabulous Moolah
6. Mae Young
7. Nattie Neidhart
8. Wendy Richter
9. Bull Nakano
10. Luna Vachon
11. Shelly Martinez
12. Lita
13. Trisha Stratus
14. Candice Michelle
15. Lana
16. Sexy Star
17. Tessa Blanchard
18. Amber Gallows
19. Velvet Sky
20. Angelina Love
21. Beulah
22. Francine
23. Nicole Bass
24. Chyna
25. Sherri Martel
26. Eve Torres
27. Kaitlyn
28. Charlotte Flair
29. Bayley
30. Sasha Banks
31. Becky Lynch
32. Nikki Cross
33. Leva Bates
34. Sable
35. Stacy Kiebler
36. Nikki Bella
37. Brie Bella
38. Nia Jax
39. Mandy Rose
40. Torri Wilson
41. Stephanie McMahon
42. AJ Lee
43. Alicia Fox
44. Brandy Rhodes
45. Awesome Kong
46. Gail Kim
47. O. D. B.
48. Mickie James
49. Crazy Mary Dobson
50. Jazz
51. Finn Balor
52. AJ Styles
53. Kenny Omega
54. Matt Jackson
55. Nick Jackson
56. Bad Luck Fale
57. Tama Tonga
58. Tonga Loa
59. Karl Anderson
60. Luke Gallows
61. Hangman Page
62. Adam Cole
63. Marty Scurll
64. Bone Soldier
65. Chase Owens
66. Cody Hall
67. Scott Hall
68. Kevin Nash
69. Hulk Hogan
70. Sean Waltman
80. The Giant
81. Buff Bagwell
82. Lex Luger
83. Konnan
84. Scott Norton
85. Sting
86. Louie Spicolli
87. Vincent
88. Brother Brutie
89. Masihiro Chono
90. Great Muta
91. Shane Douglas
92. Chris Candido
93. Bam Bam Bigelow
94. Lance Storm
95. Justin Credible
96. Mike Awesome
97. Masato Tanaka
98. Tommy Dreamer
99. Sandman
100. Rob Van Dam

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I'm going to do this just to see how long it takes me. Starting at 12:07.

1. Carlos Correa
2. George Springer
3. Josh Reddick
4. Carlos Beltran
5. Will Harris
6. Dallas Keuchel
7. Charlie Morton
8. Nori Aoki
9. Cameron Maybin
10. Alex Bregman
11. Samuel Deduno
12. Joe Thatcher
13. Rusty Staub
14. Joe Morgan
15. Nolan Ryan
16. Don Sutton
17. Craig Biggio
18. Jeff Bagwell
19. Lance Berkman
20. Sean Berry
21. Derek Bell
22. Buddy Bell
23. Andujar Cedeno
24. Cesar Cedeno
25. Runelyvs Hernandez
26. Darryl Kile
27. Brad Lidge
28. Bob Lillis
29. Phil Garner
30. Randy Johnson
31. Dave Clark
32. Dave Roberts (Colt .45s)
33. Dave Roberts (pitcher)
34. Dave Roberts (infielder)
35. Mark Lemongello
36. Mark Knudson
37. Rob Mallicoat
38. Marwin Gonzalez
39. Eric Bruntlett
40. Curt Schilling
41. Hank Conger
42. Jason Castro
43. Bob Aspromonte
44. Bob Bruce
45. Bobby Tiefenaur
46. Ryan Thompson
47. Max Stassi
48. Tony Eusebio
49. Ryan Bowen
50. Bruce Bochy
51. Eddie Mathews
52. Dwight Gooden
53. Dale Berra
54. Dave Adlesh
55. Troy Afenir
56. Rick White
57. Tyler White
58. Bruce Von Hoff
59. Ken MacKenzie
60. Don Wilson
61. Carlos Gomez
62. Luis Valbeuna
63. Morgan Ensberg
64. Jason Lane
65. Mike Lamb
66. Chris Burke
67. Doug Drabek
68. Doug Rader
69. Moises Alou
70. Jesus Alou
71. Jay Dahl
72. Sergio Escalana
73. David Paulino
74. Roman Mejias
75. Merritt Ranew
76. Lance McCullers
77. Brian McCann
78. Evan Gattis
79. Preston Tucker
80. Scooter Tucker
81. Ramon De Los Santos
82. JR Richard
83. Greg Sims
84. Sonny Jackson
85. Brock Davis
86. Dick Simpson
87. George Culver
88. CJ Nitkowski
89. Rob Murphy
90. Ross Powell
91. Jim Umbricht
92. Jose Uribe
93. Aurelio Monteagudo
94. Pidge Browne
95. Pete Munro
96. Billy Wagner
97. Octavio Dotel
98. Jeriome Robertson
99. Nolan Ryan
100. Jose Altuve

EDIT: 10 minutes, not bad!

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I only weigh about 165, so I doubt that I'm bigger!
I do know that I've been pulling for the Yankees since around 1958.

Members online

Latest posts