Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Can anyone help with this checklist?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joesoper

I've been trying to work on set to add to the database at TradingCardDB.com. I have one card in the set that I picked up while stationed at RAF Lakenheath in England back in 98/99. Al Hrabosky showed up one day at the PX and was signing autographs as part of a USO/MLB Alumni tour. It was a great experience to get to meet him and actually talk to him for a few minutes as there was hardly anyone there. He signed a card that is dated 1998 MLB Alumni Legends of Baseball Tour - Campbells soup.
The card is # 11 of 16 as listed on the back of the card. frnt.jpgrev.jpg

I'd love to get the rest of the set, I'd like to think that others had similar experience as mine. I have been trying to find out more information, but have been running in circles. Supposedly there are 16 cards in the set. I have been able to identify about 7 with card numbers and another 11 without. Sounds screwy right... math dont add up. Names I have seen listed with and sometimes without pictures (Red Schoedneist, Maury Wills, Bert Campaneris, larry Sorensen, Gaylord Perry, Rollie Fingers, Harmon Killebrew, Lee Smith, Vida Blue, Catfish Hunter, Jim Fregosi) I should know the numbers for the Fregosi and Hunter cards soon, I bought them just to find out.)

If anyone can help me with the checklist below it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Catfish Hunter
3. Fred Lynn
4. Duke Snider
5. Fergie Jenkins
7. Phil Niekro
8. Jimmy Wynn
10. Gary Carter
11. Al Hrabosky
16.Jim Fregosi

Last edited:

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL

Just an interesting observation, but there are two different copyright dates on some of the cards (I've only found the ones you've listed so far). 1998 or 1999. Fonts are a little different for this line too.

edit - just noticed the Jimmy Wynn is 8 of 13. Maybe this is a different set. Not sure if you noticed this and if your checklist of known cards is therefore correct. You might have two different sets on your hands.

Jimmy-Wynn.jpg

Last edited:

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
The Hrabrosky shows copyright 1998, and the Wynn 1999. Different fonts on the copyright line. Looks like two different sets at least.

joesoper

Thought that might be the case as well. but my carter and jenkins cards have the logo at the bottom and are dated 98. Got a feeling this set is going to challenge me.... wont stop til I get it figured out and complete the set, or both if need be...

joesoper

Catfish came in the mail yesterday.. 1998 card#2... So far I have managed to get my hands on Hrabosky, Jenkins, Carter and Catfish... Still waiting on a couple of deliveries... Snider, Niekro and Jim Fregosi (found on bay a couple days ago... another name to add to the list)

joesoper

From what’s been posted, it looks like the 98s have the red star border on top and 99s on the bottom, but man, who knows

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

It appears that you are correct on the borders. I didnt have the cards with me when I replied so was working on memory and the pic from Worthpoint. They used the same photos for both years so i assumed they were the same. 1998 border at top (16 cards in set), 1999 border at bottom (13 cards in set).
Carter_FRNT.jpgCarter_REV.jpgCatfish_FRNT.jpgCatfish_REV.jpgJenkins_FRNT.jpgJenkins_REV.jpg

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
I could be wrong, but I'm guessing these are a continuation of the MCI Ambassadors sets from 1992-96 and feature similar players.

joesoper

Got the Fregosi car in the mail yesterday. Thought it had been lost in the mail as I ordered on the 8th of August. Contacted the seller and he refunded me within two hours of my contact with him 4 days ago. I contacted him again this morning to let him know I received and figure out how to get his money backs to him again. Thought 6 weeks was long enough to wait before contacting him, guess not>> to be fair the postmark on the envelope was the 9th of August, so he did right by me from the beginning.

Also received the Duke Snider a week or so ago. I now have 7 of the 16 cards in the set, but am still only sure of the cards numbers for 8. I have seen the Lynn card but havent seen one for sale yet.

Fregosi_FRNT.jpgFregosi_REV.jpg

Members online