Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Return of the Collectors Showcase?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
One of my favorite things about FCB is the community, so it was just natural that the old Collectors Spotlight type threads were always my favorite reads. As I was reading another one of [MENTION=7453]mouschi[/MENTION] 's posts, I was lamenting on how nice it was to get into the mind of a fellow collector, not to compare, not to critique, but solely to enjoy. I was thinking about bringing back these old Collector's Spotlight type threads in some degree, maybe getting other collectors to share their origin, background, passion, ups-and-downs, and behind-the-scenes information that we all can relate to in some degree. For reference, here are some awesome, old Collectors Spotlights that [MENTION=3743]AmishDave[/MENTION] did a few years back. Feel free to check these out!:
**edit: Hopefully the links work now

Showcase: Josh Hamilton http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...amilton?highlight=Collector's+Corner+Showcase

Showcase: Gwynn545http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...ribute)?highlight=Collector's+Corner+Showcase

Showcase: Gracecollector http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...ribute)?highlight=Collector's+Corner+Showcase

Showcase: Ashburn Alley http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...n-Alley?highlight=Collector's+Corner+Showcase

Showcase: UL Washington Rookie http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...-Rookie?highlight=Collector's+Corner+Showcase

Showcase: Yanks2151 http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...nks2151?highlight=Collector's+Corner+Showcase

Showcase: Hive17 http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...-hive17?highlight=Collector's+Corner+Showcase

Showcase: Brewer Andy http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...er-Andy?highlight=Collector's+Corner+Showcase

Showcase: Dano7 http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...8-dano7?highlight=Collector's+Corner+Showcase

Showcase: michaelstepper http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...stepper?highlight=Collector's+Corner+Showcase

Showcase: Olerud363 http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...erud363?highlight=Collector's+Corner+Showcase

Showcase: TNP777 http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...-TNP777?highlight=Collector's+Corner+Showcase

Showcase: Pinbreaker http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...breaker?highlight=Collector's+Corner+Showcase

Showcase: THoseBackPages http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...ckPages?highlight=Collector's+Corner+Showcase

Showcase: IUJapander http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...apander?highlight=Collector's+Corner+Showcase

Showcase: BBCgalaxeehttp://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...galaxee?highlight=Collector's+Corner+Showcase

Showcase: 1st4040 http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...tlight-May-2011-1st4040?p=1288917#post1288917

Showcase: Pghbuccoshttp://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...ht-April-2011-pghbuccos?p=1243327#post1243327

Also, [MENTION=1866]muskiesfan[/MENTION] did a slew of Collectors Showcase threads a long time ago, early FCB, but I cannot see how to link to those. Maybe someone can help me out? I believe they were part of a blog that is no longer available.
He Showcased the following FCB Collectors:
[MENTION=1787]wideright[/MENTION]
@Sam Banks
[MENTION=1794]A_Pharis[/MENTION]
[MENTION=1823]thenumberonemetfan[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2761]Anthony[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2759]Therion[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2026]tramers[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2418]George_Calfas[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2275]Terry[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2625]SeattlefantillIdie[/MENTION]
[MENTION=11709]BoxBreaker4[/MENTION]4
[MENTION=1801]pghbuccos[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2520]ChasHawk[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2747]jdpreas[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2569]Tom Oates[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2205]AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR[/MENTION]

What do you guys think? Is it something we should continue? If so, do you have any input regarding who, what, where, when, and how?

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Someone can create and sticky a thread and anyone can post their own rather than waiting for someone to do it for them. All of the questions appear to be the roughly the same across the interviews.

The problem with these ongoing themes is that eventually they all just seem to die from lack of participation, aside from a new post now and again, usually from a new member who wasn't around when the original idea started or a lurker that finally registers and contributes. I'd guess that you might typically get 5-10% community contribution at most. hard to say how many folks are active at any given point though. The main page says there are 10,501 members here, but only 524 are active. I know a lot of people join these sites and then never do anything with their memberships. What defines an active member?

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
my collection was / is on photobucket $%#^$%& . As for my collection most is players of Hickory Crawdads - Rangers low "A" team and their cards on other teams , always a Pirate fan /collector . As for inventory I collect / sale anything . I have for 12 years sold at local stadium on weekends and have had several from here come see me . Need a common ? 800,000 inventory by team in alpha order - most baseball fair on football and mostly junk years on basketball . RETIRED now raising grandkids so i'm on here mostly "morning thread " .

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I like them too - I re-read some of mine and can't believe it was two years ago! Things have changed so much for me. At that time, I had just picked up one of my current top 10 game used / autographed cards. All the others have come in since then!

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
. What do you guys think? Is it something we should continue? If so, do you have any input regarding who, what, where, when, and how?

I think it’s a great idea to bring it back and/or something similar. I enjoy viewing others collections and possibly their room where the cards and memorabilia are displayed. It’s always nice to put a name with a face as well and get some background as to why they collect and possibly what they do for a living. Also, it’s interesting to see what else they enjoy doing besides this hobby.

As a side-note I rarely frequent FCB anymore, mainly because some of the threads were just getting too immature for my taste (check out the O’s thread; my favorite team) and decided to part ways. I view every now and then to see if there is any interesting; this concept was and would be interesting.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
That is too bad Mark. I was curious, but I didn't find the exact thread you were talking about. I guess I moved away from the Tops board (do they still have one?) because of the member activity, but now days I will probably stop coming to a site due to the lack of member activity (crickets for most threads). Sometimes trying to prompt activity is pointless, unless it is bickering and crap like that.

I think it’s a great idea to bring it back and/or something similar. I enjoy viewing others collections and possibly their room where the cards and memorabilia are displayed. It’s always nice to put a name with a face as well and get some background as to why they collect and possibly what they do for a living. Also, it’s interesting to see what else they enjoy doing besides this hobby.

As a side-note I rarely frequent FCB anymore, mainly because some of the threads were just getting too immature for my taste (check out the O’s thread; my favorite team) and decided to part ways. I view every now and then to see if there is any interesting; this concept was and would be interesting.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
That is too bad Mark. I was curious, but I didn't find the exact thread you were talking about. I guess I moved away from the Tops board (do they still have one?) because of the member activity, but now days I will probably stop coming to a site due to the lack of member activity (crickets for most threads). Sometimes trying to prompt activity is pointless, unless it is bickering and crap like that.

The thread is “Baltimore Orioles”.

While I don’t collect modern I do enjoy viewing others collections and why individuals collect what they do. Also, I don’t collect pre-war, but enjoy viewing this as well. I think most collectors really like to see other collections no matter what it is as long as it’s interesting. Pictures of their collections, or room/s are probably my favorite. I know, at the time, I viewed all of the individuals collections on FCB and were some of my favorite threads. I also really liked a thread that was called photo of the day, or something like that which would have a great write up concerning the photograph; it was just very cool.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I got two pages into it and gave up. I move past crap like that, if I even see it to begin with. Actually, I don't particularly care for the sport or general talk too often anyway. I am interested in the collectible aspect mostly. I find it to be a nice break from the stresses of the normal routine and just reading about the various responses of "what is your favorite 1975 Tops card" for example, amuses me. I can have food or political or sports talks with people I see daily. I can't really talk cards to anyone in person though, as nobody I know in person that I am aware of has a current interest in it.
The thread is “Baltimore Orioles”.

While I don’t collect modern I do enjoy viewing others collections and why individuals collect what they do. Also, I don’t collect pre-war, but enjoy viewing this as well. I think most collectors really like to see other collections no matter what it is as long as it’s interesting. Pictures of their collections, or room/s are probably my favorite. I know, at the time, I viewed all of the individuals collections on FCB and were some of my favorite threads. I also really liked a thread that was called photo of the day, or something like that which would have a great write up concerning the photograph; it was just very cool.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
I got two pages into it and gave up. I move past crap like that, if I even see it to begin with. Actually, I don't particularly care for the sport or general talk too often anyway. I am interested in the collectible aspect mostly. I find it to be a nice break from the stresses of the normal routine and just reading about the various responses of "what is your favorite 1975 Tops card" for example, amuses me. I can have food or political or sports talks with people I see daily. I can't really talk cards to anyone in person though, as nobody I know in person that I am aware of has a current interest in it.

I guess I expect a thread on FCB on the Baltimore Orioles, the team I have followed as long as I remember, to be some O’s cards, odd-ball items, possibly memorabilia, and maybe even some discussion about the current team and games. I don’t really expect grade school humor. I did what you said, I moved past it.

I’m definitely with you I enjoy having discussions and viewing card related items and topics. No one I come across on a daily basis collect. I read some forums and exchange email and text messages with collector friends. It’s a fun hobby.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Accidentally posted this on a different read somehow. Meant to post it here. Anyone can post their own if they are interested in sharing and typing up the replies.

I'll share my self interview w/o the frill of photos and such...I do have links to my blog where some items are featured though

1) When did you start collecting STEVE GARVEY and why do you collect ______ ?

I think this was originally meant to address a specific focus to collecting, so I will answer the generic question, then address specifics. I started collecting cards in 1978. I have shared this many times, but a new friend who moved into the neighborhood had cards and something about them was appealing to me, even though I was not a fan of the sport prior to this, as I recall. it has been 40 years, so the memory isn't as sharp. I look back now and think that maybe the collecting aspect was something that I was born with, but who knows. I have thoroughly enjoyed collecting cards, so that is my real "why".

With regard to specifics, I'll use Steve Garvey, as that is by far my most dedicated and extensive collecting interest. Picking him as a favorite ties back to that neighborhood buddy. I have no other good reason to have chosen Garvey other than this was my friend's favorite player and he was one of the better players at the time.

2) What was the turning point in your collecting ____ ? What put you over the edge and made you completely focus on ______ ?

I would have to say the rise of the internet was the turning point. This allowed me a much larger collecting base to work with. Finding neat things at a show or a shop are thrilling, but nothing helps build a collection like being able to run a search online and having all kinds of goodies popping up for your choosing. Sadly, I never only focused on Garvey alone, so I do collect his stuff aggressively, I also collect a wide variety of other themes as well.

3) What has been the high point in collecting ______ ? The low point ?

I believe I achieve high points whenever I find something completely oddball that I had never seen before or even knew existed. That is becoming much harder, but it still happens now and again. Meeting Garvey in person finally was another high point. The low point is probably missing out on something you just know will never resurface again. aside from that generic answer, I did run into some financial (debt) issues early in my work career due to some excessive buying of cards that caused a lot of stress and nearly force me to quit for good. I worked through it and was able to hold on to everything and continue the hobby I enjoy so much. Lesson learned, always buy only what you can actually afford at the time. Don't rack up debt on credit cards to buy this kind of stuff! That can't pass up deal isn't crap once you figure in the interest you'll end up paying in the long run.

4) What deal did you have slip through the cracks, that you regret ? Why didn't it work out ?.

My biggest regret that pains me to this day is not buying a 1980 Topps test coin that was offered to me after another bidder won a small lot of them on eBay. I just felt the asking price ($150 if I remember correctly) for this single item was too high, in contrast to the final auction price for the lot that I had also just bid on. It has taught me a lesson that if something you want is in a larger lot with stuff you don't want or need, don't just hold yourself to paying what you would for your item alone. Bid to win the lot and deal with the other stuff later if you need to to recoup your investment.

There are a variety of other items that I just lost out on eBay because I had price constraints in my head and couldn't get past, thinking I'd have other chances. Despite my advise for #3 above, don't let a small price difference stand in the way of buying something you absolutely must have, thinking you'll have another shot. Maybe you will, but more often than not, you will regret it and be willing to pay multiple times what you weren't willing to pay the first time.

5) What's your favorite piece / card in your collection ? Why ?

This is almost impossible to answer. I love so many different items and when I see something that I own and had not looked at for years again, the thrill is still there. So I don't completely lame out, I'll say that the combination of Pepsi Junior Dodgers items (order forms and membership cards) are a top contender. Another top favorite are all of the "newspaper cards" that I have been lucky enough to track down.

http://1978theyearitallbegan.blogspot.com/2010/02/garvey-spotlight-february-27.html

6) What's your wife / significant other / family think of your obsession (or collecting) for ______ ?

My wife has been a decent sport about it. I get complaints fairly often even after almost 25 years together about my stuff taking up too much space, when are you going to sell it, I will throw it away when you die and early on when we were a little more strapped for money, why are you spending money on this stuff. She will never embrace it to the extent I do or even to the extent some other significant others do, such as helping with items, attending shows with you, etc. She just doesn't have the collecting blood in her system.

7) What's your white whale or just a card you can't seemingly track down or acquire ?

The aforementioned Topps coin (which is out there, but a test item and if it wasn't expensive before, would be if one ever hits the market again. EDIT: One did earlier in 2018 and it sold for $1500. I was given a shot at it first, via the blog, but passed due to the cost.), the never seen 2002 Donruss Team Heroes Beckett GOLD sample card (if it actually exists like Beckett says it does) and a few lower print run inserts that just seem to have never shown themselves. Now that 1/1s are so commonplace, I can't dwell on any of those as I will never own them all and feel more slighted losing a card #'d to 10 than a 1/1.

One other thing comes to mind. I won a neat item a few years back. It was a media package sent to someone who must have reviewed games and wrote about them. The package contained material on some new games that were being pitched, along with a sample game. The game was not Garvey related, but they had a similar game described in the literature and it showed an actual display with real games in their packaging. I will assume some of those games were possibly sent in similar packages, but I have never seen one anywhere but in this media packet. It would appear that this particular handheld game never made it to market, but the larger board game did. I would love to find one of those games some day.

http://1978theyearitallbegan.blogspot.com/2015/02/a-game-that-was-never-sold-steve.html

8) Have you met the player you collect and what was the experience like ? (For set collectors, it'd be asking about meeting other set collector's of said set and having discussions with them).

After an extremely disappointing near miss as a kid in 1980, a story I have also told numerous times online, I finally did meet Garvey briefly in an autograph line at the 2001 All Star Fan Fest in Seattle. I think the impact of that 1980 meeting would have held much more power than meeting him as an adult. After all, he is just a man. The 2001 meeting was brief, as I stated, and the timing was poor. I had moved recently and ALL of my collection was in storage. I ended up printing a cheap copy of the 1975 LA Dodgers yearbook I used as a screensaver on my computer to have him sign. Of all the vast items I owned and could have selected for a once in a lifetime in person event, it was wasted on a cheap inkjet copy. I am glad I did get to actually see and speak to him in person once and get that photo and shake his hand (at least I think I shook hands, it seemed to go like a blur).

9) What is your biggest pet peeve about collecting ______ ?

Peeve? Probably despite not having the fierce competition that some player collectors face, I have had fairly steady and dedicated competition for most of my eBay life. It seems when one toughie disappears, another one shows up. I have toned down my willingness to spend crazy money and thankfully there are usually multiple copies to go around, but my current nemesis needs to win the first copy of everything new and in my opinion, is willing to pay too much for a lot of what he buys) as witnessed by many BIN/BOs that I know he purchased. A peeve about the collecting aspect is that the card makers sometimes go way overboard with their "limited" issues to the point of driving even the truest of fans to the brink of quitting with seemingly non-ending expensive parallels.

10) How have forums / eBay / COMC helped your collecting of _____ ? How have they hurt ?

As stated before, online has changed collecting for everyone. It has opened up a lot of opportunities, but just as this is a good thing for you, it is a bad thing as your competition gets the same opportunities. I am finding that I despise BIN/BO format even more because I don't see most of them before they are purchased by my aforementioned nemesis (for too much money often), thus promoting the higher prices future sellers try to get. I'd rather gun it out in auction format and let the best man (or woman) win. I do miss searching through boxes and piles in dusty old shops though and finding that hidden gem.

11) How much competition do you face in your collecting of _____ ? How often do you check forums / auction sites for your player ?

I do 90% of my buying on eBay and maybe 10% in other areas, most of that would be COMC. In a rare instance, a trade or sale comes to me through another board or email, but those are infrequent. I check eBay daily, but I work and don't have time to check constantly, thus me missing out on BIN/BOs offered up during the work day. I would rank my competition as small to medium in numbers, but aggressive in their buying habits.

12) Any thoughts of ever giving up the collection ?

More and more as I get older, not as much because I don't enjoy it anymore, but because I can't take it with me and nobody in my family seems to care enough.

13) How has the generosity of FCB'ers or other forum / site members helped your collection ? Elaborate.

I have had mostly positive experiences with forum members. I can't remember most specific instances I am sorry to say, but there was one member of another site in particular that sent me a Reggie Jackson RC that was signed on the back. He told me he got it signed in person, although it looked very little like a typical Reggie auto. That was probably the most generous offering that I had the pleasure of receiving. I have "met" a lot of really good folks online since I started collecting here, whether it was Beckett, Ebay or the many forums I have joined and contributed towards. I have yet to actually meet anyone I have gotten to know on any of the forums though, yet. EDIT: I finally met one long time online collecting friend in person earlier this year. I wrote what I thought was a great story to share and lost it due to computer issues. I have not had the desire to try to replicate what I wrote, but may someday revive the story. I still think it is a great one and he is described below.

Lastly, there is one person who I have known for over 20 years now that has been a constant part of my online collecting life, [MENTION=10970]Yanks2151[/MENTION] or Kevin as I know him. We started conversing after he found me from an old online trade page and reached out. At first we were sending random trade packages to each other quite frequently and it has turned into more of a friendship with a little trading still on the side. We probably talk on the phone once or twice a month on average across the year, but sometimes it is every couple of days when there was higher activity on the card front. Being a bit more adventuresome and willing to engage new people for trades on the card front then me, he has introduced me to a number of sites I might have never bothered to check out to even stumble across on my own. This member has definitely had a positive affect on my collection and how I interact with other collectors now.

Last edited:

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I loved doing these, but trying to find folks that would reply became harder and harder. I'd send 6 of the PM's out and would have to keep hounding, without being a dick, to get them back. I liked doing it every two weeks, so the person could get a chance to be in the spotlight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Not sure if there’s interest in my collection but if there is, I think it would be fun to be spotlighted.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board