Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ebayers are morons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Don't know if it was mentioned yet since I lost interest when the OP started calling people ********, but don't forget that Ebay is also charging you fees on your shipping charges. The higher the charge, the higher the fees. And you can whine & ****** all you want but the more you charge for shipping the lower your rating will fall. Generally you're going to take a tiny hit shipping, but having a low charge, under $3 for sure, will draw more & higher bids.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
My example was pretty relevant. Prejudging based on facts already known. You know seller is charging $3+ and will more than likely ding them if the item in not a nicer item, thats your term by the way. I know your user name and dislike it, just like you dislike the fees, and we both bid and ding anyways. You agree to a charge, all you should care about is that the item makes it from Point A to Point B in the same condition the auction shows, nothing else should matter, new or old bubble mailer, new or old top loader, $1 vs $5 in costs, etc.

It isn't relevant. My ding of one star, if I do ding, is based on the service I have received and the cost charged for that service, and whether or not I feel it was a reasonable charge. Your example is based on your stereotyping of a fan base and the fact that you don't care for Brewers fans, which I find very odd by the way. I get disliking a team and ignorant fans, but prejudging based on what spots team someone likes seems shallow to me.

Another real life example, if you sell your home with an agent you agree to pay them their commission percentage up front correct? If the agent sells your house in 2 weeks for your asking price you would be thrilled and not even think about the fees paid. If it takes a couple months and you end up selling below asking you may not think the fees were reasonable for the service you got even though you agreed to them up front.

The star rating on shipping charges is there for a reason. Go ahead and continue charging your shipping and complaining when you get dinged. You control your own destiny here. Go with free shipping and all of this goes away.

By the way, thanks for coming after me on this topic. God forbid you go after the mods in this thread who have the same opinion I do. You obviously know who you can and cannot call an ******* around here.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
When ebay adds a "team fan" DSR rating I am totally going to give anybody named "RaiderFan2085087535" 1 star every time, and I'll know I will do it when I bid! But at this time it looks like they don't have that rating and they DO have a rating they put in there for you to express your opinion about a seller's shipping price. I don't know, it's like ebay wants people to give their opinion on shipping price and not just blindly give 5 stars to everybody because they saw the price ahead of time, otherwise WHY HAVE THE RATING?

I don't personally ding the shipping DSR unless somebody charges $2+ (which I feel implies they are using a bubble mailer) and ships in a PWE, or somebody ships a card in a reckless manner. But I don't fault people for dinging on what they feel is overcharging for shipping because that's specifically what the rating is for.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
As a buyer I just figure the shipping as part of the price for the card. unless I get a PWE or its not sent in a secure way I have no issues.
As a seller on a big item I ship for free, on anything under 25 dollars I charge 2.50. im on social security so if anyone has a issue with the price they can pound salt.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
It isn't relevant. My ding of one star, if I do ding, is based on the service I have received and the cost charged for that service, and whether or not I feel it was a reasonable charge. Your example is based on your stereotyping of a fan base and the fact that you don't care for Brewers fans, which I find very odd by the way. I get disliking a team and ignorant fans, but prejudging based on what spots team someone likes seems shallow to me.

...NOTE: I love Brewers Fans :lol: , it was just an example based on your user name. From my stand point, prejudging is prejudging, whether its you knowing you plan on giving a star ding even though you know the shipping price going in or me not liking a users eBay handle, or any other reason. You clearly stated with your first post, "I ding anyone who charges over $3 for shipping one star." Those are your words, very clear. Yes you redacted, however it was after you were called out for that statement.

Another real life example, if you sell your home with an agent you agree to pay them their commission percentage up front correct? If the agent sells your house in 2 weeks for your asking price you would be thrilled and not even think about the fees paid. If it takes a couple months and you end up selling below asking you may not think the fees were reasonable for the service you got even though you agreed to them up front.

...Again, you stated "I ding anyone who charges over $3 for shipping one star." You were called out for that and redacted and said "If I buy something nicer with more than $3 shipping and it arrives exceptionally packaged and in a nice case I will most likely leave 5 stars." Here you say "most likely leave 5 stars", so still no guarantee, you are still teetering on the dinging of a star, for a price you agreed upon.

The star rating on shipping charges is there for a reason. Go ahead and continue charging your shipping and complaining when you get dinged. You control your own destiny here. Go with free shipping and all of this goes away.

...NOTE: As I stated early in this thread, I offer free shipping on most my items. I understand how the game works, with free shipping you can never be dinged for no good reason.

By the way, thanks for coming after me on this topic. God forbid you go after the mods in this thread who have the same opinion I do. You obviously know who you can and cannot call an ******* around here.

...I looked back, I searched "mod" and "admin" and not one of them agreed with your theory of dinging for charging $3+. If there is a post of a mod or admin that said this, please quote it for me, as I just am not catching it.

...Finally, mod or not, if your acting like an ******* you deserve to be called out as one, that is just my opinion. Not one mod or admin in here, with their posts, justified that. Maybe I should have said it differently, your actions of dinging 1 star for anything over $3 shipping is an ******* move vs. saying you are an *******. My apologies for that.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
You should NEVER penalize anyone for a purchase agreement that you entered into with another person not meeting your expectations. There's an option called "do not bid" if you aren't satisfied with any aspect of the potential transaction. Bidding on someone's item where the shipping is clearly stated and then penalizing them for it after the transaction is complete is an ******* move regardless of your rationale. It's abuse of the system.

Uhm...no.

If I pay you any amount for shipping, I'm honest enough to leave appropriate feedback. If you charge me $5 for shipping(for example) and don't state how the item is shipped, I try to give you the benefit of the doubt that it'll arrive in close to $5 worth of shipping material/charges. If you sent it in a pwe, you're getting one star.

If you charged $1.50-$2.00 for a pwe, I might give you 5 stars. I'm not adverse to a seller breaking even or making a few extra cents off shipping. To me it's the price I pay for buying online. I don't assume every seller is a guy selling millions of cards, or buys shipping supplies in bulk. So if they charge a hair more just to cover their cost, cool.

As for the OP, I'd give him five stars all day. His shipping would seem a little high but like I said, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. If he ended up sending me the card in good packaging and a one touch, I'd know he spent more than enough to justify the price. Did I ask for it? No. But I don't have the time to ask every seller how they plan to ship and the info is not always posted. So I trust them. If they act like a damn fool and try to charge $5 for a pwe, I'm not giving them exceptional star ratings.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
You're forgetting the part where these are "collectors" purchasing an end item. The "gotta haveits" means people will pay whatever you charge for shipping. Yeah they agree to pay it to get the card, but that doesn't mean they "agree" with it or are in any way satisfied with the charges.
On the flip side, everyone places bids after factoring in shipping so it shouldn't be ding worthy if it's not egregious. I'm more shocked by the number of people who actually leave detailed ratings. Unless I'm really impressed or the opposite I don't leave more than 3-5 detailed ratings a year

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Yeah, you are not "overcharging" in the sense of profiting from your charge.

But you are overcharging compared to the cheapest method of shipping safely.

I paid 12c a pop for #00 bubble mailers in bulk, decent quality. toploader and team bag is just as safe as a one-touch for shipping and should be about 4c a pop in bulk.

Some of your buyers probably appreciate the extra-nice mailer and one-touch... they're the ones that give you 5 stars.

The ones that give you 4 stars would have rather saved the $1 and ship in a toploader and cheap bubble.

Both points of view are reasonable.

Yeah but is every single buyer gonna ask every single seller how an item is shipped? No. So what if you'd prefer to save money as a buyer because you've no need of a one touch. How it's shipped and the protection they deem necessary is up to them.

Besides, if the OP is selling higher end stuff, I'd gladly pay the extra money for the added protection whether I use one touches or not. I've had cards /5 come in pwe's. That pissed me off!

Just use common sense. Try to understand not everyone ships with stuff purchased in bulk. And if they charge more but give the extra effort, by god...give them appropriate feedback. Don't just give them a bad rating because they do things differently.

Members online

Latest posts