Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2000 Topps Tek COLORS-- Opinions and Knowledge Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
With all the '98 Diffractor hoopla lately, I thought I'd try to get some more information on the 2000 Topps Tek Colored cards. Here's some info and a couple opinions from [MENTION=7090]brian46256qqv[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4735]nosterbor[/MENTION]:

Cards 1-40 patterns 16-20 were short printed in colors. If i remember correctly you got two colors per box of cards 1-40. Cards 41-45 rookies the color cards were a lot easier. I believe there were 2000 of each card pattern 1-20 for cards 41-45. If I had to guess based on quick math of the golds being one in ever other box I would say probably 150-200 of each of the SP color cards for cards 1-40.

Pattern 16 Purple
Pattern 17 Red
Pattern 18 Yellow
Pattern 19 Green
Pattern 20 Blue

I would say less than 25 of each color were printed. They are all equally hard to find if you ask me. I do have all the colors and the purple was the last one i got. Here is the purple.

I have been thinking that they are closer to Nosterbor's number, just because of how few I have seen, but I will admit, I really haven't actively pursued any Tek variations until the last few years. Even using [MENTION=7090]brian46256qqv[/MENTION] 's idea, if you got one gold per two boxes, and four coloreds per two boxes, would the coloreds then be 4x as hard? (golds=#'d/10, Coloreds #'d/40)??? I think I am missing the fact that golds of all players and 20 variations, and coloreds are all players but only 5 variations... So maybe there are more like Brian's 150-200 per copy. I just can't believe that since I see more golds and even 98 Diffractors than 2000 Tek Coloreds.
Any other player collectors (or Tek Collectors) have any opinions or insight???
colors3.jpg
colors2.jpg

colors1.jpg
colors.jpg

Last edited:

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
I can't give anything solid but can tell you they don't come up often for sale in any color and they usually fetch at least $10 for my guy. I still need purple and yellow and have only seen maybe 2 of each ever for sale. I just bought a green for $1 BIN about two weeks ago and couldn't pay fast enough!!if I had to guess I would think these are /50 or less.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I've seen about two or so greens, a yellow, and a red. I just never paid them much mind. If my collection has a weak point, it's topps tek. I just can't get down with what they go for. For the price the 98 diffractors go for, I can get two of them or a low numbered auto. Let's just say I have zero diffractors and a lot of autos.

2wrigley

Aug 7, 2008
The odds state one gold every 42 packs and one non-rookie colored card every 10 packs. I opened quite a bit of this stuff back in 2000, and I think the odds are reflective of how often I pulled these. So I believe the math would look like this;

45 players with 20 variations with 10 golds per variation
45 x 20 x 10 = 9,000 gold cards
9,000 x 42 = 378,000 packs released

40 players with five colored cards
40 x 5 = 200 colored cards
378,000 / 200 = 189 copies of each colored card

I agree they are tough to come by these days, and they were definitely sought after back when they were released. But nothing like a card with only 25 copies. I think many collectors put together their sets pretty comfortably even back then (when the online card marketplace was way less developed). I've got #/25 cards that were produced in 2012 on my wantlist that I've never seen a copy of even though probably 90% of card sales are done online nowadays. I think the lack of serial numbering keeps these cards hidden to a certain extent as a lot of people don't recognize the value they have. I know when I pulled my stash of extras out a couple of years ago, I was shocked by how well the colored cards sold.

Robert

Last edited:

RipitRipken

Jan 4, 2013
So...I recently found a box of this. An unopened hobby box....

Should I rip or flip this? I think I got it at a good price, not sure though.

ignition

Jul 29, 2010
I did haha, now...I need to figure out who needs what.

Is anyone working on this set?

I'd be interested in any and all Jim Thome cards you may have pulled... my current 2000 Topps Tek Thome Total (how's that for alliteration?) sits at a whopping 0.

Latest posts