Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

SOLER FLARE!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
They had 4 starters average over a strikeout per game led by Napoli with 187.

The A's, on the other hand, only have one guy on a strikeout per game or higher pace.

Boston had the 8th most strikeouts in all of baseball last year, Oakland currently has the 2nd lowest.

These teams are completely different in that regard, so, no, the Red Sox didn't do it.

2004 Red Sox. They wanted Beane to come and he said no. They hired Epstein who used the same philosophy as Beane and won in 2004. So, yes, they did do it.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
2004 Red Sox. They wanted Beane to come and he said no. They hired Epstein who used the same philosophy as Beane and won in 2004. So, yes, they did do it.

Oh, THOSE Red Sox.

The ones who had the THIRD HIGHEST amount of strikeouts in ALL of MLB.

That's two Red Sox teams with high strike out totals (and also high BB and home run totals) that have won a WS.

Not high home run, high walk, LOW strike out totals.

I'm not trying to be a *****, but the two teams are built differently. The Sox didn't care about the K's so long as the players got on base or hit home runs. The A's want walks and home runs WITHOUT the K's. A major difference.

So, again, the Red Sox didn't do it.

I will concede that both teams were built around high OBP players, as that is what Beane cherishes, but the way each team goes about doing that is completely different.

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
Oh, THOSE Red Sox.

The ones who had the THIRD HIGHEST amount of strikeouts in ALL of MLB.

That's two Red Sox teams with high strike out totals (and also high BB and home run totals) that have won a WS.

Not high home run, high walk, LOW strike out totals.

I'm not trying to be a *****, but the two teams are built differently. The Sox didn't care about the K's so long as the players got on base or hit home runs. The A's want walks and home runs WITHOUT the K's. A major difference.

So, again, the Red Sox didn't do it.

I will concede that both teams were built around high OBP players, as that is what Beane cherishes, but the way each team goes about doing that is completely different.

The Red Sox did it with payrolls that were in the top 5 - the A's have done it for 1/3 the payroll.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
The Red Sox did it with payrolls that were in the top 5 - the A's have done it for 1/3 the payroll.

I understand that.

I also believe that will be the reason the A's will not win with Beane's strategy. It's nice getting a .350 OBP from Daric Barton, but he's not a piece you use to get a World Series ring.

I guess that is a bigger part of the argument I have, the A's inability to spend money with the Red Sox ability to print it. Beane will probably never win a WS without being able to spend more money, since most teams who do win tend to have a higher pay roll (maybe not on the level of the LAD/BOS/NYY's of baseball, but still high), thus being able to nab the type of players Beane appreciates (high OBP guys) while also being able to roll with them striking out so much as a unit.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
His BC autos have reached triple digits.

You dig, [MENTION=1810]phillyfan0417[/MENTION]? :)

DaveH

Apr 28, 2009
luckily i grabbed a blue, ref, and base over the last 3 weeks. wanted that canary that I see in someone's sig already but was on the road and totally forgot about it :-(

saw his AB live on his 2nd homer tonight... what a blast. i said 'holy ****' as soon as he made contact. he's like the lovechild of Puig and Giancarlo. stupid sexy soler.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
That was some graphic on Quick Pitch - since 1900, the players with the most TB in their first 4 MLB Games.

Other than I think it was McCovey in 1958, Soler and the other 5 or so players on the graphic all accomplished it since 2000.

I guess that makes pre-2000 the dead ball era. ;)

GameJerseyPR

Oct 21, 2013
46318cfdb6c0a03ffef94d9fa2ef7ca3.jpg
8563cf95a41c5a8e886895eb4d3d6338.jpg

Bought for my pc!!!;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online