Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cards that shouldn't be tough to find ... yet are

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
There are cards out there that can be so hard to find, it is almost like they don't exist. As mentioned in my last article, I just picked up this:

97plat.jpg

It is supposed to be numbered to 200, yet I only know of one other copy out there.

The last I checked, I think I had around 700 different Canseco cards numbered to 100 or below.

Where the heck are they, and what are some tough cards you are looking for that shouldn't be tough at all?

Here are mine (all numbered to 99 and higher!)

1997 Leaf Signature Platinum Press Proof /150
wanted27.jpg

1997 Flair Legacy Row 0 /100
wanted28.jpg

1998 Pacific Revolution Shadow Series /99
wanted36.jpg

2000 Topps MVP Promotion /100
wanted73.jpg

2002 Donruss Fan Club CREDITS #282 /100
wanted2.jpg

2003 Topps Retired Signature Black /99
wanted143.jpg

And others. What are yours?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Good examples. Agree on the '96 Platinum Press Proof. Have never seen a Cirillo. Add 1999 Aurora Red retail parallel and 2002 UD MVP Silver /100

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
lots of cards come to mind but the first one for me is 2012 Topps Toys R Us purple Wakefield/Sabathia/Buehrle. I saw a pic of one in a lot for sale a couple years back but it had already been sold. I agree with [MENTION=12060]Onions[/MENTION] I cant turn up a 96 circa rave biggio anywhere. The 1992 High 5 Biggio has also eluded me. I think I've seen everyone one that checklist except Biggio.

viper

Dec 12, 2015
Ohio
1998 Donruss Production Line On Base Percentage / 381 Ken Griffey Jr.

Have never seen one for sale. Would like to finish my little three cars Production Line Griffey Rainbow.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
97 leaf gold press proof Albert Belle. Print run of 500 but still can't find one.

I had zero problems finding a Tim Wakefield, was thinking about buying the Biggio this summer but it was a little more than I wanted to spend and it sold and I haven't seen one since.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
This one was crazy to me as it should be a card that is easily found. I had a very difficult time finding a 2009 Topp Wal-Mart black card of Adam Dunn #587 . The League Leaders card with Ryan Howard and Carlos Delgado was no problem and can still be easily found right now. I don't know exactly how long I have been actively trying to find this card, but it's been at least 2-3 years. It was a card I didn't pay much attention to because it was a card I thought would not be hard to find. I was wrong. I am sure some have passed me by and I just didn't see them or somehow overlooked them. However, once I started actively searching for it, I know I didn't miss any. I finally picked one up in November. So happy to finally have that one crossed off the list. Here it is

https://flic.kr/p/QDp7V1

How this was such a difficult card to track down blows me away.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Late 90's low serial #ed Hideo Nomo cards are super tough to find.

I've also had problems finding a 2016 Topps Pink Jon Gray. I own the #01 /50 version but I need another one for my team set (I won't use serial #ed firsts in team sets). Not a one has surfaced. You'd think with as much of the flagship product broken every year at least 7-8 would have hit eBay by now.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I had a heck of a time completing the 4 card run of 2004 UD Timeless Teams bronze parallels #'d to 50. I had multiples of a couple, but they never seem to show up anywhere. Finally traded a dupe for the last one I needed from a longtime player collector rival. Still have seen only a handful of them in 10+ years. I never did scan them with the new addition. I really should do that some day.

The oddest part is that I had the gold set of 4 before the bronze set by many years! Golds were #'d to 5. I suppose that in itself is incentive for those selling, as cards numbered to 50 are perceived as worthless to many.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
My thinking on this subject is that certain players just aren't worth the trouble of listing. Canseco, while he has notoriety, doesn't seem to have much of a hobby profile anymore. I'm sure completists like Mouschi compete highly, but like Vizquel and Galarraga, high prices go away after everyone who wants a copy has a copy. What sold for $50 the first time might sell for $5 after that. There are surely loads of nice cards sitting in boxes in closet out their owners are sure they are only worth a couple bucks and not worth trying to wring those bucks out of them.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There's a simple reason why so many '90s numbered cards are difficult to find now.

eBay didn't exist until the late '90s, and even then people weren't listing every numbered common card they pulled from packs like they often do now.

So cards like a '97 Canseco #/200 were either put into a box, binder, or a dealer tried to sell it at his card shop or a show.
If they didn't sell, they got put away in a box, where most probably remain today because as smapdi wrote above, they're not worth the effort to sell anymore.

Nowadays, people put numbered cards on eBay or Sportlots or whatever immediately after busting packs, so even /50 cards are easy to find. And there are tons of websites to buy sell and trade that weren't available in the '90s.

Last edited:

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
A word on the 2002 Donruss Fan Club credits...a few years ago, I was in a shop that had some packs for sale, and I grabbed a few. All the cards in every pack ended up being stuck together and severely damaged, so I was given a refund and the dealer actually threw the remaining packs in the trash. Unopened. If there was a Credits in one of those packs, it is gone forever. Wouldn't be shocked if more of this dumpy retail product ended up in the trash.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I also heard a lot of retail outlets dumped a bunch too.
A word on the 2002 Donruss Fan Club credits...a few years ago, I was in a shop that had some packs for sale, and I grabbed a few. All the cards in every pack ended up being stuck together and severely damaged, so I was given a refund and the dealer actually threw the remaining packs in the trash. Unopened. If there was a Credits in one of those packs, it is gone forever. Wouldn't be shocked if more of this dumpy retail product ended up in the trash.

Members online