Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Miami Marlins to be Sold to Derek Jeter's Group For $1.2B

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I'm hoping Jetes runs the Marlins into the ground to get a little retaliation for the 03 world series. I think that's been his plan all along

Bring me your Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Senzatela and Peter Lambert cards

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So now what's the plan for Stantons? Did they say?
I'm sure the new ownership will keep Stanton. The main reason Stanton was signed was to make the team look stronger and attract potential owners. Jeter and the new owners want a winner, and Stanton is the major piece. Loria had always had a history of holding fire sales to get rid of his stars.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So do the tax payers of Miami get a portion? I mean it was they who built the new stadium :confused:
Apparently Miami taxpayers did not end up paying for the stadium. It was part of the original plan, but lawsuits and a federal investigation forced the city and county to change the plan at the last moment, and the stadium is being paid over 40 years through increased tourism taxes. So it's actually people who don't even live in the Miami area who are paying for the stadium. Visit Miami, and some of your money will go to pay off the stadium.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
But.......why? If the organization stays in Miami seats will never get filled.

But I'm assuming there must be other profitable ventures attached to owning an organization.

well, ownership usually gets control of the ballpark, parking, concessions, sponsorship money, broadcast and revenue sharing money, a retail development around the park if one exists or is built, and the perk is the appreciation of the franchise value even if the franchise sucks so the Marlins will be sold for more than $1.2b in the future if Jeter and group hold onto the Marlins long enough before it's decided to sell the franchise.

Jeter is a pretty lucky guy - only had to make a 2% investment in the Marlins club and gets to be head of baseball operations. Since Elway has had success in Denver in the NFL, Jeets has a puncher's chance to do well in Miami. We'll find out over the next few years if Jeets ever stuck his head in the Yankee C-suite occasionally preparing for a possible future job in a front office.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Holy....:eek:

Joe Frisaro‏ @JoeFrisaro
Can also confirm that Michael Jordan will have a stake in the new [MENTION=7507]MARLIN[/MENTION]s ownership

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Holy....:eek:

Joe Frisaro‏ @JoeFrisaro
Can also confirm that Michael Jordan will have a stake in the new [MENTION=7507]MARLIN[/MENTION]s ownership

probably a 0.00000001% ownership of the club. ;)

I'm surprised at this point that the Sherman/Jeter group just don't sell "shares" in the club like the Packers along with the same rules of stock ownership the packers have.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
On the Cardinals broadcast tonight the announcers they said it’s going around that one of the first things this ownership group wants to do is get rid of the statue in centerfield.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Hope so. Damn thing's an eyesore.

Probably because new ownership wants to try to get all vestigates of Loria. Some are quick and easy like that, others will take time to phase out. Show the fans it's a new day and not Loria II taking over the fish.

Members online