Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

SHOHEI OHTANI SIGNS WITH THE ANGELS!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Will Pujols be benched or play first base when Ohtani is DH?

Pujols is a liability in the field these days and his offensive numbers are deceptive anyway. He had 23 homers and 100 rbi, but a -1.8 WAR. That's negative 1.8. He's actually costing his team by playing.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Angels did in fact know about this:

When reached late Tuesday, Angels general manager Billy Eppler told Yahoo Sports: “Shohei underwent a thorough physical with MRI scans to both his elbow and his shoulder. Those are scans we conduct whenever we sign a pitcher. Based on the readings of those MRIs, there are not signs of acute trauma in the elbow. It looks consistent with players his age. We are pleased with the results of the physical and we are very happy to have the player.”

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Will Pujols be benched or play first base when Ohtani is DH?

Pujols is a liability in the field these days and his offensive numbers are deceptive anyway. He had 23 homers and 100 rbi, but a -1.8 WAR. That's negative 1.8. He's actually costing his team by playing.

That is alarming that someone that drove in 100 runs has a negative WAR.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
His deal is heavily backloaded and he’s nearing some milestones. I doubt he steps away anytime soon.

I can't imagine Albert hanging on just for milestones but who knows.

He's already in elite company historically but he is pretty close to putting himself in the greatest hitter of all time conversation. To my mind he's already in it though it is still Williams and it's not close.

He's already at 600 home runs but 700+ is not likely at this point. 22 a year I guess isn't completely implausible but I don't think it is likely either. His once assured shot at 763 is gone.

A repeat of last year will put him over 2,000 RBIs. That would put him 5th all time in RBIs. If you squint really hard he might catch Aaron for the all time lead but he'd need to average about 95 RBIs for four years to do that.

Four years of 53 runs (repeating last year) wouldn't get him to 2,000 Runs.

He's very aware of his place in history and his legacy. I can't imagine him being willing to damage that too much by hanging on and being terrible for four more years. If he's playing well then maybe.

Last edited:

Members online