Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Will Arod surpass Ruth/Aaron/Bonds?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Arod turns 40 today and after a 3-home run game yesterday he has 677 dingers. With two years on his contract after this season how many will he have? Post 40th BDay Bonds hit 79 HRs--that number for Alex would allow him to surpass Hank.

Thoughts?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I think the easiest guess is that he passes Ruth but not the others, but I'm actually going to guess that he doesn't pass ruth. He still need close to 40 homers and I'm not sure he can maintain his performance after this season. I think the year off allowed him to heal but am not confident it will last.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Arod turns 40 today and after a 3-home run game yesterday he has 677 dingers. With two years on his contract after this season how many will he have? Post 40th BDay Bonds hit 79 HRs--that number for Alex would allow him to surpass Hank.

Thoughts?

87 home runs at this stage seems like a lot.

87-79 = 8 more home runs required after 40 yrs old
I think ARod sticks around (if a team other than the Yankees sign him after the contract is up) to give it a shot.
I mean why not, the HOF will probably keep him out like the others, so might as well hang on if a team will have a roster spot for you and pay you to go for it.

By the way, those three shots at Target Field were mammoth, total distance was over 1200 ft!

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Bonds left the game hitting 28 homers, and led the league in walks (again)... He was not even close to being done. He was forced out.
Barring injury, Alex could easily hit another 100 homeruns before he retires.

weight333

May 28, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
+1. I think he could have easily played/DH'ed for another 2-3 years.
I think if Alex only plays the next two years he will just sneak past Ruth.

Bonds left the game hitting 28 homers, and led the league in walks (again)... He was not even close to being done. He was forced out.
Barring injury, Alex could easily hit another 100 homeruns before he retires.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
87-79 = 8 more home runs required after 40 yrs old
I think ARod sticks around (if a team other than the Yankees sign him after the contract is up) to give it a shot.
I mean why not, the HOF will probably keep him out like the others, so might as well hang on if a team will have a roster spot for you and pay you to go for it.

By the way, those three shots at Target Field were mammoth, total distance was over 1200 ft!

I wonder if he will be kept out like the others. The "2015 Arod" is a much different person. He's trying very hard not to come off so egotistical and has been more press-friendly and a team player. He no longer sounds like he's in it just for himself.

With this new-found attitude, he very well could win over the press to get voted in.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I think he will get to 960 this year and if he gets 22 more next year Yankees will sign him for 2 more years to pass Bonds. He still brings people in the stands and as long as he is drawing attention they will keep him a few more years.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I believe they would have kept Jeter for 3 more years to try to be the 3rd person to get 4000 hits. If he wanted to stay.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
With his being 40 and having had multiple hip surgeries, I wouldn't bet on him to make these milestones. But, I wouldn't have bet on him to have nearly the year he's having, so he might prove me very wrong. I'd sure like to see it, personally.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I think his public opinion is capped, those who don't like him will never gain his trust again and those who like him will pretty much like him regardless.

That being said, when he finds himself unable to hit HRs anymore (whenever that may be) what is the risk of him doping up again? Banned from a game he's already leaving? At least something like HGH that's hard to be caught on.

This+ the ability to DH leads me to believe he will chase down Bonds.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I think he will pass all as well but that's because people will keep him till he does. That's what they did with Bonds and I don't see him getting too much more than what Bonds ended with.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
He could pass both, would it matter? I feel the baseball audience is split pretty evenly if stats are honored because of the previous use of PED.
He's doing great, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt but the question still remains in my mind if he continues to be clean.
Maybe he really did realize the wrongs in his year off and using Bonds as the example changed his ways hoping it makes a difference later in HOF voting. Either way if it did, they'd have to let bonds, clemens and others in. Anyway...
I can see him catching ruth.. but it's yet another asterix to me

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I could see him doing it, especially since all he does now is DH. Bonds is pretty high on my personal list of least-favorite players of all time, but what makes his *record even more impressive is that he did it all while playing the field. Sure, all the old-timers did that, but these days a guy can set his sights on that record without having to play defense during his last 10-odd years. I'm still in the "abolish the DH" camp. I don't think that's ever gonna change.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
755.jpg

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I sent him screenshots of this thread. He finally texted me back and said he's gonna end up with a thousand, but its his birthday so he might be out drinking

Latest posts