Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1947 Dodgers signed baseball - Jackie Robinson RC year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
My collection is largely focused on moments when baseball history intersects with American history. Jackie Robinson's breaking the color barrier was definitely one such moment.

Really excited to have picked this up. 1947 Brooklyn Dodgers team signed baseball. Jackie easily won ROY and he played a seminal role in the civil rights movement, someone that many civil rights leaders pointed to for blazing the way.

f058ae4277d09ce9da8e641368e21243.jpg

b98ecbfc3e7e50ac1bfea26b3c9d591f.jpg

8dbf766683d6923e4d47a9538d8c42b0.jpg

f3de2cf9812abff9eecac1627fb98fed.jpg

d389fd12dfbaa9fdc910037885a19f98.jpg

dc684da5940e0a42313a0fd9cec25a52.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Wow, that is a fantastic ball with a prominent Robinson. Team-signed balls are always so striking in hand. I'm amazed how small they are in comparison to scans like these, and it really feels evocative to hold one just because it was passed around a clubhouse.

What do you think was the signing implement, btw? It almost looks like black/charcoal pencil, but I don't think that would have stood up so well for 70 years.

Great ball in any case. Thanks for showing it off.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Wow, that is a fantastic ball with a prominent Robinson. Team-signed balls are always so striking in hand. I'm amazed how small they are in comparison to scans like these, and it really feels evocative to hold one just because it was passed around a clubhouse.

What do you think was the signing implement, btw? It almost looks like black/charcoal pencil, but I don't think that would have stood up so well for 70 years.

Great ball in any case. Thanks for showing it off.

Thanks! Funny you say that about the size of the ball, it's something I always notice when I look at where I have them displayed. Players have to sign pretty small in order for them to all fit.

I'm not completely sure what it was signed with and hope to get a better look when it arrives.

Funny thing:
Heritage actually had 2 balls up in the auction, one with 21 autographs (this one) one with 29, but with some players signed in blue and some signed in black.

As Heritage often does, the auction ended Friday night. I am a Sabbath observer so I was not going to be able to bid on any items at the close, so I had to put in my bids early and wait until Sabbath ended to see what happened.

I was unsure which the market would view as more desirable. Not wanting to miss out on the auctions, I put in what I thought was a reasonable bid on both of them. Looked at my phone last night to find that I actually won both of them.

I'll probably wait until I get them in hand to decide which to keep and which to look at moving but happy to have filled a hole in my collection. Whichever I keep, it will go nicely next to the 1946 Montreal Royals signed baseball. But I definitely was not expecting to win both lol.

Here is the other one. 29 sigs including Dixie Walker who demanded a trade from the Dodgers when they brought Jackie on (and later said it was the "stupidest thing I ever did."

Robinson 1947 Dodgers Ball 29 sigs 1.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts