Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flarick

Apr 30, 2009
South Florida
ok........... what do you know abouts this one??

Michael - That's still the same bogus card you have shown before. That's the '97 SP #170 Vintage Buyback 312 series card and someone has changed the serial number to 10. The hologram is one from the 312 print run. The 2000 SP #170 Buyback was numbered to 12 and the 2000 SP #170 Buyback was numbered to 53. No SP #170 was ever numbered to 10.

flarick

Apr 30, 2009
South Florida

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Michael - That's still the same bogus card you have shown before. That's the '97 SP [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=170]#170 [/URL] Vintage Buyback 312 series card and someone has changed the serial number to 10. The hologram is one from the 312 print run. The 2000 SP [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=170]#170 [/URL] Buyback was numbered to 12 and the 2000 SP [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=170]#170 [/URL] Buyback was numbered to 53. No SP [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=170]#170 [/URL] was ever numbered to 10.
2001buyback-1.jpg

and there was a #170 UDA numbered to 500 (not a buyback insert) nice seein ya again Rick
uda500.jpg

Last edited:

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008

Guess I was'nt crazy after all.................
Tue, 18 Jul 2006
Payment Details
Amount: $750.00 USD
Transaction ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Subject: 04 upper deck Ken Griffey jr 500 hr club auto bat /25
Note: thanks please email me shipping info

500HRAUTO.jpg

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
[MENTION=1759]magicpapa[/MENTION], on that Buyback, does it actually look like the serial number was edited?

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
Any Buyback Buffs here??
1997buyback.jpg

Opinion here:

The first thing that immediately jumped out is the 5/10 ink is a significantly different color than the signature.

To me, instinct is that someone used a type of wipe or chemical (windex) and removed the original and wrote in a /10 hoping to up the value and dupe potential buyers. It actually looks like they did not wipe all the residue away before they wrote the 5/10 and the chemical reacted with the blue sharpie/pen they used and washed/bleached/reacted to what they used causing the fade/discoloration/green hue.

If this is the case, sad that a Griffey card was ruined.

Last edited:

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Opinion here:

The first thing that immediately jumped out is the 5/10 ink is a significantly different color than the signature.

To me, instinct is that someone used a type of wipe or chemical (windex) and removed the original and wrote in a /10 hoping to up the value and dupe potential buyers. It actually looks like they did not wipe all the residue away before they wrote the 5/10 and the chemical reacted with the blue sharpie/pen they used and washed/bleached/reacted to what they used causing the fade/discoloration/green hue.

If this is the case, sad that a Griffey card was ruined.
2001buyback-1.jpg

if you look at the /53 buyback I posted the inks look the same, I picked up this card back in March of 2006, did do some looking into it before buying it and let the seller know and got it pretty cheap....... but yes its sad that this stuff goes on

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
If the ink is the exact same on both cards, I'm suprised if someone faked the /10 they were able to match it up that well. Also suprised you can't see any part of the card being messed with. Not that it's legit , but it seems if it's a forgery, it was pulled of pretty well.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
93.jpg

1993 Finest (officially "Topps Baseball's Finest") is a 199-card, chromium-stock, set widely recognized as one of the most important issues of the 1990's. The Finest brand was Topps first attempt at the super-premium card market. Production was announced at 4,000, 12-box cases and cards were distributed exclusively through hobby dealers in the fall of 1993. This was the first time in the history of the hobby that a major manufacturer publicly released production figures.

Because production figures were released, it is believed that there are approximately 30,000 copies of each base card, 1,500 of each Jumbo card, and 241 of each Refractor. Some people claimed that additional refractors were backdoored to several card shops and dealers in the San Diego area.

Cards were issued in seven-card foil fin-wrapped packs that carried a suggested retail price of $3.99. The product was a smashing success upon release with pack prices immediately soaring well above the $20/pack point. The popularity of the product has continued to grow throughout the years as it's place in hobby lore is now well solidified.

Due to these boxes not having a logo printed on the plastic wrap, boxes can easily be opened and resealed. Many boxes with the original plastic wrap have a small round hole in the upper left corner on the front. Also, packs that contain a refractor can be easily identified as they are different than non-refractor packs as they were were printed and packed separately. Packs containing a refractor have a printing variation on the wrapper.

A collector, Phil Gold, is hoarding 1993 Finest Refractors. His web site, which contains the number of copies he owns of each card, is http://www.93finestrefractors.com

Last edited:

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Magic- Nice story about 1993 Finest. Awesome looking cards. I liked 1994 Finest a lot too, partly because Jim Thome was in that set. Cool looking Jr. die-cut card also.

Members online