Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.
Whoa, guys! Check out this silver parallel! ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEN-GRIFFEY...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Seriously, he should have called it the Black Dots parallel because that is the worst looking base Griffey I have ever seen. His base tends to be nice.

The p. 44 '98 Teks, for many if not all of the players, have more of the 'black dots' than any other pattern. Notice that the ink spots are just on the portrait and gold portrait border, not on the pattern background. Maybe gives you some insight into their printing or drying process. You will also see many of the p. 36 and p. 56 '98 Teks with whole sections of heavily faded patterns.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEN-GRIFFEY-JR-1998-Topps-TEK-Silver-Parallel-Rare-/131369966698?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item1e96429c6a&nma=true&si=SxtlBM3DkVvdhpFQZji38vkXmdA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Seriously, he should have called it the Black Dots parallel because that is the worst looking base Griffey I have ever seen. His base tends to be nice.

Imagine if that was the last pattern you needed.... how unsatisfactory that BIN would be.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEN-GRIFFEY-JR-1998-Topps-TEK-Silver-Parallel-Rare-/131369966698?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item1e96429c6a&nma=true&si=SxtlBM3DkVvdhpFQZji38vkXmdA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I picked this up I'm glad you guys think it's a print error, I was hoping it was that and not just someone took a sandblaster to it. I figured for 8 bucks why not take a chance. I kind of enjoy having odd examples of cards and while I don't have this particular pattern I have plenty of other patterns without this "feature" so this will be a unique add for me. Now to find a p. 36 or p.56 faded griffey to go with this one.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Why do you think this Griffey is a print error . I don't see anything unusual about the card other than a few tiny black dots on it and slightly scratched silver oval on back

I picked this up I'm glad you guys think it's a print error, I was hoping it was that and not just someone took a sandblaster to it. I figured for 8 bucks why not take a chance. I kind of enjoy having odd examples of cards and while I don't have this particular pattern I have plenty of other patterns without this "feature" so this will be a unique add for me. Now to find a p. 36 or p.56 faded griffey to go with this one.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
The p. 44 '98 Teks, for many if not all of the players, have more of the 'black dots' than any other pattern. Notice that the ink spots are just on the portrait and gold portrait border, not on the pattern background. Maybe gives you some insight into their printing or drying process. You will also see many of the p. 36 and p. 56 '98 Teks with whole sections of heavily faded patterns.

Interesting in that I have not noticed that about pattern# 44s. Other than my Jeter 14p44 which has two small back dots on back my other 89 pattern# 44s are mint.. The pattern I have seen with most problems by far is pattern # 36

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I think the black dots are actually missing pieces that didn't get printed almost as if there were little bubbles or debris on the card, if it's black ink on the card I'll be disappointed. But for 8 bucks I was willing to chance it. I think I remember seeing some like this in 98 but I wasn't as interested in odd cards as much then. If you want I can post the verdict when it arrives and I have it in hand. I guess to sum it up if the card is in the same state as when it came out of the pack I would consider it a print error and an interesting variation to me, if the card got altered after it came out of the pack it's just damage. Hope that helps.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
I've been wanting a Thome diffractor really bad for most of this year, since I started collecting Teks. So I just bit the bullet and hit the BIN on 3 Thome cards that looked like diffractors but were not listed as diffractors. Kind of nervous with the sellers 96.4% feedback. But, at the worst I will get 3 Thome Tek base cards for 12 bucks. Or, it could be a really nice early Christmas present. Fingers crossed.:-|

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
I've been wanting a Thome diffractor really bad for most of this year, since I started collecting Teks. So I just bit the bullet and hit the BIN on 3 Thome cards that looked like diffractors but were not listed as diffractors. Kind of nervous with the sellers 96.4% feedback. But, at the worst I will get 3 Thome Tek base cards for 12 bucks. Or, it could be a really nice early Christmas present. Fingers crossed.:-|

$_57.JPG

Those are definitely 3 diffractors, including a pattern 1. I hate to ruin your day, but read the negative comment left for the seller. It was for a Jason Kendall diffractor that the seller had pictured yet sent a regular card. I hope you get what is pictured - for $10 that's amazing. If anything you can get a refund for item not described if he sends you base cards.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
$_57.JPG

Those are definitely 3 diffractors, including a pattern 1. I hate to ruin your day, but read the negative comment left for the seller. It was for a Jason Kendall diffractor that the seller had pictured yet sent a regular card. I hope you get what is pictured - for $10 that's amazing. If anything you can get a refund for item not described if he sends you base cards.

Thanks for the input. I didn't know it was a female seller until after I bought it. Nothing against females, but I have had worse luck with female sellers. Hopefully they are diffractors. I thought it was weird that her only multi-card auction happened to be 3 diffractors. Just in case, are refunds based on description or photo's, or both? Thanks.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Had my best Diffractor mailday ever yesterday.

First, got these five cards in trade from Rich - need all five for my set:

attachment.php

Then, I was the guy who got the treasure trove of Diffractors pulled down from ebay. It was like a who's who of cards I need for my set:

attachment.php

attachment.php

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
[MENTION=4682]RustyGreerFan[/MENTION] - Two questions (1) you are putting together a diffractor set which is essentially 1 of each player no matter what the pattern? (2) What is the pattern # of that Belle?

If the answer to question 1 is "yes" and the answer to question 2 happens to be a pattern I need, I would be very interested in trading Belle diffractor for Belle diffractor, as I have a double of pattern 15... obviously would have to make it worth your time and at no cost to you, so we could discuss a trade or whatever you would be interested in doing.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I was so frustrated when he cancelled my bid and ended that auction early. Any chance at picking off that McGwire? :)

Had my best Diffractor mailday ever yesterday.

First, got these five cards in trade from Rich - need all five for my set:

attachment.php

Then, I was the guy who got the treasure trove of Diffractors pulled down from ebay. It was like a who's who of cards I need for my set:

attachment.php

attachment.php

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
1998 teks

I wonder how many 90 card mixed diffractor sets have been completed out there? Nobody has done a 90 card individual player diffractor set as far as I know and other than R Roth and the one Ive completed I dont know if anyone else has been able to complete a 90 card mixed diffractor set. I have 14 to go for a second 90 card diffractor set and 37 to go for a third 90 card diffractor set but haven't made a dent in two years other than a couple I picked up last summer in Dallas on a business trip and maybe one or two ebay buys this year.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Sorry about that! This auction actually did not appear in my search - I probably need to expand that search. It just happened to pop up in my saved search for Griffey. I knew I didn't have a chance at it until I saw this:

Q: Hello, Would you be willing to accept an offer of $50 for this lot? Thank you for your time!
A: I have gotten 5 offers in the first 4 hours of this lot being up. Guess these are better than I though. I am going to let the auction run.

So I shot her a message about why she was getting bombarded, directed her to ended listings, and offered $200.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I wonder how many 90 card mixed diffractor sets have been completed out there? Nobody has done a 90 card individual player diffractor set as far as I know and other than R Roth and the one Ive completed I dont know if anyone else has been able to complete a 90 card mixed diffractor set. I have 14 to go for a second 90 card diffractor set and 37 to go for a third 90 card diffractor set but haven't made a dent in two years other than a couple I picked up last summer in Dallas on a business trip and maybe one or two ebay buys this year.

I don't even know if anybody has hit the 50 mark for a single player. I just hit 42 for McGwire and am ecstatic (thanks Rich)!

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Sorry about that! This auction actually did not appear in my search - I probably need to expand that search. It just happened to pop up in my saved search for Griffey. I knew I didn't have a chance at it until I saw this:

Q: Hello, Would you be willing to accept an offer of $50 for this lot? Thank you for your time!
A: I have gotten 5 offers in the first 4 hours of this lot being up. Guess these are better than I though. I am going to let the auction run.

So I shot her a message about why she was getting bombarded, directed her to ended listings, and offered $200.

Gaaaaarr! Pure evil. I had a snipe set for $375. Oh well.

Members online