Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sportsbuy closing down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
My only point is, a Felix Hernandez 2004 Bowman Chrome AU RC is a Felix Hernandez 2004 Bowman Chrome AU RC. Beckett does not own that terminology and should be laughed out of court if they claim ownership. Not claiming they are doing that, just stating what I think about it if they do.

Last edited:

Sportsnutcards

May 4, 2009
Belmar, NJ
Beckett has an argument if they are referring to their database when they talk about checklists. Their database is very comprehensive and involves much more than just checklist information.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
My only point is, a Felix Hernandez 2004 Bowman Chrome AU RC is a Felix Hernandez 2004 Bowman Chrome AU RC. Beckett does not own that terminology and should be laughed out of court if they claim ownership. Not claiming they are doing that, just stating what I think about it if they do.
Here is a question... if Beckett just shut down operations and the site turned off, where or how would COMC go get all the names of 1,573,070 baseball cards?!?! I'm not arguing that Beckett owns the names but I am seeing how Beckett might feel taken advantage of and if they weren't getting a piece of the action, they can say screw off to a business or site looking to just pull those names or titles straight from their system to benefit everyone but Beckett $ wise.

Just food for thought. I think this is a really interesting discussion.

Moe@COMC

Jul 12, 2013
Redmond, WA
Hi gang, sorry I'm tardy to the party...with the lawsuits happening, I'm pretty limited as to what I can say. I can tell you that we're working on getting all the card data back up and running; this is something we've been working on since we made the initial announcement that Beckett was ending it's licensing agreement with us. I'd suggest checking out our blog for all the details and for the latest information. Thanks for your support and feedback.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Hi gang, sorry I'm tardy to the party...with the lawsuits happening, I'm pretty limited as to what I can say. I can tell you that we're working on getting all the card data back up and running; this is something we've been working on since we made the initial announcement that Beckett was ending it's licensing agreement with us. I'd suggest checking out our blog for all the details and for the latest information. Thanks for your support and feedback.

Maybe (probably?) you don't have a specific answer to this, but any clue as to when user edits on cards might be processed?

Thanks!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Moe - Can you shed any light about the status of the site and everything? I'm sure you've already read my comments in this thread but the site just seems to be in shambles right now... what gives? Feel like y'all got caught with your pants down on this one... I'm sure traffic has plummeted at least.

Moe@COMC

Jul 12, 2013
Redmond, WA
Maybe (probably?) you don't have a specific answer to this, but any clue as to when user edits on cards might be processed?Thanks!
Every user-submitted edit has to be reviewed before it gets accepted. With so many people submitting edits, there's a backlog. I wish I had a specific date, I can just say they're being handled as quickly and efficiently as possible.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Every user-submitted edit has to be reviewed before it gets accepted. With so many people submitting edits, there's a backlog. I wish I had a specific date, I can just say they're being handled as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Fair enough. Traffic has probably been down too, right? I think you'll get out of this mess but damn did y'all take a hit here... I use to check your site a few times a day and I might go to it like once a week now.

Moe@COMC

Jul 12, 2013
Redmond, WA
Moe - Can you shed any light about the status of the site and everything? I'm sure you've already read my comments in this thread but the site just seems to be in shambles right now... what gives? Feel like y'all got caught with your pants down on this one... I'm sure traffic has plummeted at least.
Not sure what I can add to what's already been said by Tim on the Blog. Things are a little rough right now, but we're about 2/3's towards catalog completion, and should have most of of our search capabilities back by the end of April. It was a bit of a surprise when Beckett decided to end the licensing agreement, and we've been dealing with the situation as best we can. People have (mostly) been supportive and positive about what this means for COMC's future and we're pretty excited about what's going to come. Once we get past this rough part, that is...

Moe@COMC

Jul 12, 2013
Redmond, WA
Fair enough. Traffic has probably been down too, right? I think you'll get out of this mess but damn did y'all take a hit here... I use to check your site a few times a day and I might go to it like once a week now.
Some people have said they've seen a drop in sales, which was expected by Tim - and that's a big reason why we waived all storage fees for April. We also tried to give people as much warning as possible, to let them know that we'd have a rocky spring but it would be a temporary issue. And, if you're only visiting once a week, you must be seeing some big improvements with each visit...

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston

That's what I figured. So would you still suggest doing it? I've done the challenge a bunch with my stuff "fast tracked" and none of my stuff seems to show up anymore, so I'll take some time to do edits, but only if it will actually be helpful. My others were done on 4/2 and not reviewed yet, so I just want to make sure I'm actually doing something useful

Moe@COMC

Jul 12, 2013
Redmond, WA
That's what I figured. So would you still suggest doing it? I've done the challenge a bunch with my stuff "fast tracked" and none of my stuff seems to show up anymore, so I'll take some time to do edits, but only if it will actually be helpful. My others were done on 4/2 and not reviewed yet, so I just want to make sure I'm actually doing something useful
We just announced some new prizes for the Challenge, so I would suggest tackling those - even if your stuff isn't showing up, you can still get store credit for completing challenges. :)

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009

Personally, I'm submitting corrections where the information is incorrect, but not where it is missing. The missing information---say, a card number---will eventually be submitted through the card number challenge. Incorrect information, however---such as a Joey Gomes card which is incorrectly labeled as a Jonny Gomes card---has already gone through the "player name" challenge, and was processed incorrectly. In that case, the correct information will only show up once it is manually entered. So, submit the correction now, or submit it three months from now, but it will have to be entered at some point.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Best of luck, I'm a big fan of COMC. And I'll support just about anything that continues to help this hobby move passed Beckett and it's ridiculous influence

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Personally, I'm submitting corrections where the information is incorrect, but not where it is missing. The missing information---say, a card number---will eventually be submitted through the card number challenge. Incorrect information, however---such as a Joey Gomes card which is incorrectly labeled as a Jonny Gomes card---has already gone through the "player name" challenge, and was processed incorrectly. In that case, the correct information will only show up once it is manually entered. So, submit the correction now, or submit it three months from now, but it will have to be entered at some point.

Good point. Just seems like it was a waste of time going through my higher priced items that had no player name on 4/2 and two weeks later, none of them have been reviewed. I'll look for some errors tonight

Members online

Latest posts