Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
I am going to start this this thread to help numerous collectors still chasing some 1998 TEK card to complete their favorite player 90 card sets
If you want to be included on this list email me at [email protected] (not as a reply below) and I will add you and your specific want lists below with the understanding you
will send me a message if you pick up any new ones and I will edit Do not include Diffractor want lists as I won't post those as those lists would be too long

So here we go.. There's a show here next weekend Feb 13-15 in Houston and a big one in May so if you email me with your consent to buy any TEKs on your want list and pay High Beckett I will buy them to help you out. You must also agree to pay cost of shipping and a bubble mailer..

I also have around 1400 1998 TEKs dupes to trade and sell (at High Beckett) for some new 1998 TEK collectors that I can email you if you send me an email (not as a reply down below). I am still looking for a few condition upgrade cards for my completed 8100 card Master set as well as any Pattern # 1 and Same Card #/ pattern # 1998 TEK that I trade for or pickup whenever I can.

1998 TEK Collector Player Want Lists

Robin Ventura......Card # 33... Patterns # 1,33...togaman
Randy Johnson....Card # 39...Patterns #s 29,39,44.... bigunitcards
Mike Mussina....Card # 80...Pattern # 35...togaman
AJ Hinch....Card# 83...Pattern # 56...togaman
Ray Lankford....Card # 90 Pattern # 90... togaman

Any Pattern # 1 1998 TEKs....togaman
Any Same Card #/ Pattern # 1998 TEKs...togaman

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...8-Topps-TEK-player-sets?p=2248119#post2248119

Click on hyperlink to go directly to thread

Last edited:

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I am going to start this this thread to help numerous collectors still chasing some 1998 TEK card to complete their favorite player 90 card sets
If you want to be included on this list email me at [email protected] (not as a reply below) and I will add you and your specific want lists below with the understanding you
will send me a message if you pick up any new ones and I will edit Do not include Diffractor want lists as I won't post those as those lists would be too long

So here we go.. There's a show here next weekend Feb 13-15 in Houston and a big one in May so if you email me with your consent to buy any TEKs on your want list and pay High Beckett I will buy them to help you out. You must also agree to pay cost of shipping and a bubble mailer..

I also have around 1400 1998 TEKs dupes to trade and sell (at High Beckett) for some new 1998 TEK collectors that I can email you if you send me an email (not as a reply down below). I am still looking for a few condition upgrade cards for my completed 8100 card Master set as well as any Pattern # 1 and Same Card #/ pattern # 1998 TEK that I trade for or pickup whenever I can.

1998 TEK Collector Player Want Lists

Robin Ventura......Card # 33... Patterns # 1,33...togaman
Randy Johnson....Card # 39...Patterns #s 29,39,44.... bigunitcards
Mike Mussina....Card # 80...Pattern # 35...togaman
AJ Hinch....Card# 83...Pattern # 56...togaman
Ray Lankford....Card # 90 Pattern # 90... togaman

Any Pattern # 1 1998 TEKs....togaman
Any Same Card #/ Pattern # 1998 TEKs...togaman

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...8-Topps-TEK-player-sets?p=2248119#post2248119

Click on hyperlink to go directly to thread

Thank you for this post, Carl. And not just because you posted my Buhner want list (hopefully I'll get some help!).

When I saw this post I clicked on your link. When I saw you already listed my Buhners for me I tried to click on my bookmark to my freewebs page to double check my Buhner list. I missed, and instead clicked on my ebay Tek search. There were a couple new base listed, so I looked at both listings before moving on to freewebs. One of them had that telltale sparkle with a super low BIN:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-TOPPS-TEK-PATTERN-56-CARD-51-CAL-RIPKEN-JR-/331472575324?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=SxtlBM3DkVvdhpFQZji38vkXmdA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
That hyperlink if for a pattern # 56 of Ripken not a pattern # 51 unless I am missing something

Thank you for this post, Carl. And not just because you posted my Buhner want list (hopefully I'll get some help!).

When I saw this post I clicked on your link. When I saw you already listed my Buhners for me I tried to click on my bookmark to my freewebs page to double check my Buhner list. I missed, and instead clicked on my ebay Tek search. There were a couple new base listed, so I looked at both listings before moving on to freewebs. One of them had that telltale sparkle with a super low BIN:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-TOPPS-TEK-PATTERN-56-CARD-51-CAL-RIPKEN-JR-/331472575324?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=SxtlBM3DkVvdhpFQZji38vkXmdA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
I've been noticing Pattern 57 cards often are miscut. Check out the close-up on this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Mike-P...440?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58be2cc650

And you think that is a miscut why? Looks normal to me. Its looks like a Piazza card in a plastic sleeve inside a toploader so maybe what you think is a miscut is an optical ilusion. I just looked at my 90 card pattern # 57 complete set. No miscuts there... in fact I have seen very few miscuts in 1998 Topps TEK with the exception of a couple cards I have where it has Bonds on one side and Craig Biggios head on the back. Bond's big head could not fit on the back of the card

Last edited:

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
And you think that is a miscut why. Looks normal to me. Its a Piazza card in a plastic sleeve inside a toploader so maybe what you think is a miscut is an optical delusion. I just looked at my pattern # 57 complete set.. .No miscuts there in fact I have seen very few miscuts in 1998 Topps EK with the exception of a couple cards I have where it has Bonds on one side and Biggios head on the back.

at the bottom of the card you can see the top of the card that was below it on the sheet. that's why. but thanks for contributing.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Got the Ripken in and it is miscut, but it makes it look kinda cool...

attachment.php

Apparently, the overlay not only has the broken glass effect, but also the player's name (as the card underneath does). So when there is a miscut, it can create an interesting effect when the names are not lined up perfectly. But why does the name underneath show both above AND below the overlay name? Plus that Topps TEK in the oval on the left is not perfectly in the oval, so it must also be part of the overlay.

The back is interesting too. Card 51, the black line under Card 51 and the 56 (as in pattern 56) are all perfectly placed in the oval. But the word Pattern is scrunched up right underneath the word Card and actually is ABOVE the black line. Since the broken glass effect is also on the back of Diffractors, there must be an overlay on the backs. And maybe this shows that the back overlay is not just the broken glass effect, but also the word Pattern). Why wouldn't the word Pattern just be placed the same as everything else?

I don't know what I'm talking about, but it's fun to try to dissect these cards.

Too lazy to scan the back now - maybe next week.

Cool stuff.

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.
So when there is a miscut, it can create an interesting effect when the names are not lined up perfectly. But why does the name underneath show both above AND below the overlay name?

Just looked at over 30 different Ripken diffractor patterns. Every one of them has that same shadowing above and below the name. On a few the shadowing looked a bit heavier than on others. I then looked at 90 different Ripken base patterns. Same shadowing above and below the name. Don't see that on other players' diffractors or base cards, but can't say I made a comprehensive search. So far that shadowing looks unique to the Ripken cards, but it's that way on all Ripken diffractors and base cards.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Just looked at over 30 different Ripken diffractor patterns. Every one of them has that same shadowing above and below the name. On a few the shadowing looked a bit heavier than on others. I then looked at 90 different Ripken base patterns. Same shadowing above and below the name. Don't see that on other players' diffractors or base cards, but can't say I made a comprehensive search. So far that shadowing looks unique to the Ripken cards, but it's that way on all Ripken diffractors and base cards.

How weird! I was comparing it to the Glavine I'll be trading you when I should have been comparing it to another Ripken!

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
I have a miscut Larry Walker diffractor sort of like your Ripken:

102156b5dde6d0a5ffe3fd8568e2eacdbc484e59.display.jpg
7f9568e291c6b98d0eafcd02927c80d26191fe3b.display.jpg

Notice where the card 34 is on back and the red showing around the helmet, circular border, and Topps Tek logo on the front.

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.
I have that same Larry Walker diffractor p 15 card and it looks quite normal. No shading like John's card or the Ripken base and diffractors. That Larry Walker card sure looks like a printing error. Also never saw a 'card number' in anything other than black.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston

Attachments

• tek 1.jpg
    tek 1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 39
  • tek 2.jpg
    tek 2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.
About 200 new 1998 Tek patterns listed by cardboardstars.com on eBay. Good variety of players although shuffled like a deck of cards; decent prices. Don't see any hidden diffractors. He knows the difference.

Members online

Latest posts