Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sba

May 10, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
Here's a weird thing I noticed about this thread. All the usual names you'd expect to see are here, right? (Thomas, Griffey, Jeter, A-Rod, Clark, Juan G., Gwynn, Sandberg, McGwire, Ripken, etc)

Some guys I noticed got very little or no love in this thread who were HUGE 90's staples:
Ryan
Mattingly
Boggs

I expected to see way more of those guys.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Here's a weird thing I noticed about this thread. All the usual names you'd expect to see are here, right? (Thomas, Griffey, Jeter, A-Rod, Clark, Juan G., Gwynn, Sandberg, McGwire, Ripken, etc)

Some guys I noticed got very little or no love in this thread who were HUGE 90's staples:
Ryan
Mattingly
Boggs

I expected to see way more of those guys.

I think Mattingly has quite a bit of love, but Boggs Super Collector's are few and far between. I've picked up some absolute monster rarities of Boggs for significantly less than my bid. Ryan has a lot of fans, but he doesn't have as much 90's awesomeness as you might think. You get beyond the 1993 Finest Refractor Promo or 1990 Score Promo, you won't find much of his stuff talked about in this particular thread.

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
sba, welcome to the site/thread. Puckett is well represented here too and if you by chance have his 1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold card, I'll prepare my bank account accordingly...

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
I think Mattingly has quite a bit of love, but Boggs Super Collector's are few and far between. I've picked up some absolute monster rarities of Boggs for significantly less than my bid. Ryan has a lot of fans, but he doesn't have as much 90's awesomeness as you might think. You get beyond the 1993 Finest Refractor Promo or 1990 Score Promo, you won't find much of his stuff talked about in this particular thread.

Someone listed a bunch of Boggs monsters on COMC within the past year, but I think they were at prices much higher than any ebay auction would bear.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I think those 3 players have a good amount of oddball love. Where those who collet them like to find weird/obscure type issues. But as others have said the 2nd half of the 90s really is where the crazy cards and amount of cards exist (except as Nolan said Ryan and Mattingly have the tough Ref Promos and a few others)and they were gone by then. I've watched a few Boggs items like man I should really add it, inc a few Flair 1/1s that I just never could pull the trigger on even though they were cheap.

Ryan

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
The last three sold for $3 BIN, $350, and $375; I was never willing to pay that much. Previous to that, I only remember a couple coming to market in the decade previous. I never had a chance! Still paid more than I would like though.

Christ almighty! I have a non-numbered one and a regular. Paid peanuts compared to the prices you mention.(although it is of Bagwell).

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Beautiful card! I hope to get one someday too and still do not have, nor have ever seen, the Rusty Greer.

Make sure you inspect that upper left corner before you decide to keep it. Looked like some slight peeling that this issue is susceptible to.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Beautiful card! I hope to get one someday too and still do not have, nor have ever seen, the Rusty Greer.

Make sure you inspect that upper left corner before you decide to keep it. Looked like some slight peeling that this issue is susceptible to.

I noticed that too and questioned Boyd on it. It isnt bad in hand as the auction picture looked. And not actually peeling from what I can see close up. Something I am OK with since a lot of these are condition sensitive. I would take that over the dreaded refractor line.

I think BBCGalaxee had a Greer he showed a while back. May want to check with him. I think it sold on eBay but I could be mistaken so it wouldnt hurt to check.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
Very happy to add this one:

98 Essential Credentials Now /19:
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1463673368.491172.jpg

Seems like this issue has a big set collector following too, so I wasn't sure if I would ever find one.

Members online

Latest posts