Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Michael Fulmer makes history

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Fulmer has now gone four straight starts without giving up a run in at least six innings of work.

According to Elias Sports Bureau, he and the Cubs Jake Arrieta are the only pitchers since 1893 when the mound was moved to 60 feet, six inches, to post four straight scoreless starts of at least six innings with three hits or less.

Fulmer is the only pitcher to do it in the same season.

“I am just trying to go out and give my team a chance to win, and put up zeros while I am at it,” said Fulmer, who seems almost oblivious to the magnitude of his accomplishments.

His scoreless innings streak, going back to his final inning against Tampa Bay on May 21, stands at 28.1, which ranks second only to John Hiller, who set the rookie scoreless innings streak at 28.2 in 1967.

Asked if it was starting to get old, he laughed, “Absolutely not. It’s always fun to win.”

He is 7-1 on the season (5-1 on the road). He’s won his last five starts and the numbers he’s put up are sensational – 34.1 innings, 1 run, 13 hits, 30 strikeouts and 10 walks.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
This is a rookie record right? Because there is no way only 2 pitchers in the history of baseball have pitched four straight scoreless outings with at least 6 IP per start. I'm sure Greinke had to have done it last year (I haven't checked the IP per games during that streak so I could be wrong).

Either way, Fulmer has been a stud as of late. I remember when he was really struggling a bit to start the season so this was a great turnaround.

rob167

Aug 7, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
The "catch", although impressive regardless, is allowing 3 hits or less in each start...

This is a rookie record right? Because there is no way only 2 pitchers in the history of baseball have pitched four straight scoreless outings with at least 6 IP per start. I'm sure Greinke had to have done it last year (I haven't checked the IP per games during that streak so I could be wrong).

Either way, Fulmer has been a stud as of late. I remember when he was really struggling a bit to start the season so this was a great turnaround.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
and i dropped him from my FBL team right before the streak started because he hadn't been pitching all that great...sigh

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
The 23-year-old Fulmer, who is inching closer and closer toward phenom versus prospect, didn't seem nearly as keen on revisiting the remarkable feat accomplished over the past five starts.

Fulmer, who was acquired by the Tigers from the New York Mets in the trade deadline deal for Yoenis Cespedes last season, recorded the second-longest scoreless streak by a rookie pitcher in the last 45 years, according to Elias Sports Bureau, behind Fernando Valenzuela (35 innings in 1981). He gave up as many runs Friday -- one -- as he did in his previous five starts combined, and he lost for only the second time in his first 10 career starts.

His streak is noteworthy, not only in terms of his service time, but in sheer difficulty for any pitcher, rookie or veteran alike. It is the longest scoreless innings streak by any Tigers pitcher since 1961.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
No way to knock the Mets in this trade but could you imagine him as the number 5 starter on that team?

Members online