Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

These came in the store so I bought them

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highphat

Aug 18, 2008
I have spoken with the seller and purchased a card from him without any problems. I am very happy with the card. He seems on the up and up to me.
killersample.jpg

killersampleback.jpg

All the seller's feedback is for these "samples". I smell a rat. Just sayin...

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
I don't mean the seller is a crook, but I can see a dishonest printer adding the word sample to the cards after the fact. If you look at the Killebrew above you can see some misplaced serial-numbering on the back, suggesting the card was a defective item after printing. Not for nothin, but...

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I don't mean the seller is a crook, but I can see a dishonest printer adding the word sample to the cards after the fact. If you look at the Killebrew above you can see some misplaced serial-numbering on the back, suggesting the card was a defective item after printing. Not for nothin, but...

It was previously mentioned, in another thread, that the printing of "sample" is under the gloss.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009

Look at the word "sample" on the back of this one...

Russ Ortiz 2005 Signature Series 1 1 Test Sample Library Set Original SP RARE | eBay

Looking at these more closely the "sample" print appears to be very pixelated in all of them. You can even see it in the Killebrew. I've handled hundreds of genuine Donruss samples & never have seen the pixelization effect. I'd bet they're bogus.

Last edited:

highphat

Aug 18, 2008
The actual pack issued version of the card is a 1/1. The test printing is definitely in the same font as the serial numbering on the cards that made there way into packs. The Killebrew also has some deeper embossed numbers and some extra foil on the back. The seller says that a former MLB exec started to clear out some of his inventory of cards submitted for MLB approval. Maybe it's true.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
The actual pack issued version of the card is a 1/1. The test printing is definitely in the same font as the serial numbering on the cards that made there way into packs. The Killebrew also has some deeper embossed numbers and some extra foil on the back. The seller says that a former MLB exec started to clear out some of his inventory of cards submitted for MLB approval. Maybe it's true.

Would you submit a card with multiple defects for approval? Enjoy.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Just thinking out loud here (or in type) but why would DLP machine stamp SAMPLE on the cards they use to put in the Beckett in '03 and then, two years later, not use the same machine stamping for these. Again, just thinking (er, typing) out loud.

highphat

Aug 18, 2008
Would you submit a card with multiple defects for approval? Enjoy.
I've been following the 05 Absolutes since they were released and this is the first I have seen of the Samples hitting the open market. Like I said earlier, I will check and see if the "Sample" text is under the card gloss. Even if they are from the Donruss scrap vault and weren't submitted to MLB for approval, the cards are legit.