Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Will Clark Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
There a few Puckett guys with cards from the set. I have 3 of the 4. I was the underbidder on the one that sold this morning @$350. I paid $40 total for the first 3 I bought though.
That's quite a difference in price.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
Scratch that - apparently the two Nolan Ryans just sold were different. One of the listings said it was for another Nolan not in the main picture.

Looking at the original sold sheet, it appears as though the only cards not showing on the sheet that are available are the ones with a white border. I wonder if they only ran with 2 sheets? Hmmm...

Thanks, I thought it was an error considering the others he listed weren't low dollar bins. I know what the Puckett's usually sell for and it wouldn't have been right to keep it at $5 bucks. The seller Said I could keep it and it'd be his loss, but that's not me to do.

The Ryan not pictured is actually pictured in the listing if you look at all the pics, it's just not in the main picture that pulls up when looking at the item. It's similar to the Ricky Henderson in that it's an all star version from the set. Those are new to me. I'll start a listing later tonight with pics of mine and perhaps we can get other pics posted too. This set has always fascinated me!

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
That's quite a difference in price.

Ryan

Yeah, that was a phenomenal buy. I remember when josh bought those. The seller also listed the only '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold of Puckett that I've eve seen for $120 bucks. That still breaks my heart that I didn't see that auction in time.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
Yeah, that was a phenomenal buy. I remember when josh bought those. The seller also listed the only '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold of Puckett that I've eve seen for $120 bucks. That still breaks my heart that I didn't see that auction in time.
Yeah I believe Mike was the one who landed that card if I remember right. I was at work when it was listed. It was a terrible rest of the day. I literally got nothing done that day and just refreshed ebay waiting for more cards lol.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Wow $120, that's a bad thing to see if you missed it for sure . I hope u guys can land one someday if you haven't yet.

Ryan

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I need the 96 gold as well! It is funny how when a big card is missed, it can really ruin the rest of the day! I've been there.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
So, who here picked up the 92 Ace Novelty Prototype? Pretty awesome to find a card so old that wasn't known to previously exist!

CCI_000001.jpg

Guilty as charged. Since it's one that was only a "speculating it may exist" on my want list, $300 was a bargain. I aimed for an offer that encouraged a yes from the seller. I'm not messing around with trying to outbid a few other big players, so I made a big play. Did you win the Canseco? I was an active bidder, but didn't win it. Ryan mentioned he had seen other Clark's before but this is the first time I ever recall seeing an actual real card of the Clark Ace. What intrigues me more is that tons of players have at least 3 or 4 different cards, including Canseco, so it's like 1 step forward, 3 steps back for the need list. I would guess most players in that large set have multiple variations or card numbers. Just thankful I could make a deal with the seller and fortunate to not have to bid on others if they somehow become more common than 1 in every 30 years available :)

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
View attachment 69831

Guilty as charged. Since it's one that was only a "speculating it may exist" on my want list, $300 was a bargain. I aimed for an offer that encouraged a yes from the seller. I'm not messing around with trying to outbid a few other big players, so I made a big play. Did you win the Canseco? I was an active bidder, but didn't win it. Ryan mentioned he had seen other Clark's before but this is the first time I ever recall seeing an actual real card of the Clark Ace. What intrigues me more is that tons of players have at least 3 or 4 different cards, including Canseco, so it's like 1 step forward, 3 steps back for the need list. I would guess most players in that large set have multiple variations or card numbers. Just thankful I could make a deal with the seller and fortunate to not have to bid on others if they somehow become more common than 1 in every 30 years available :)
Nice land Nolan. I have only seen the front / back one and I know 1 person who has the full one as well. So when I say others, I guess I meant 2 now plus the partial ones. And yes, I am curious if multiple versions could be out there as well. I don't think $300 was bad by any means, but the pockets wouldn't let me get past the $150 mark now. Fingers crossed we see another example this decade for sale.

Ryan

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
View attachment 69831

Do you recognize the ebay ID of the person who won the Puckett by chance Nolan?

mouschi

May 18, 2012
View attachment 69831

Congratulations! I saw the $5 Rickey and the $300 Clark next to each other & threw up a little in my mouth for the seller, lol. Yup, 'twas I for the Jose and I'm happy as a clam. :) I landed the pre-production prototypes last year, so I really wanted to get this one to match. No telling if anything else will ever surface. Cards like this are a 1/1 ... until they aren't, if that makes any sense. These cards were made in 1992 and while many collectors were prone to preserving their cards back then than any time before, a ton of the collectors were still kids, so if only a handful were created, there is no telling how many exist. With that said, there may be a nice little stack of 1,000 each hidden away somewhere as well.

I just checked and the sheet had 34 cards. With the white borders and the big faced Puckett version being the only ones NOT on that sheet, it is possible they only created two different sheets, so perhaps 68 different cards exist instead of the 300-600 (or whatever it is) as the card # backs suggest. All pure speculation of course!

mouschi

May 18, 2012
So, [MENTION=3735]clarkfan[/MENTION] [MENTION=5592]jszczech[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3401]K34PuckettAddict[/MENTION] (and others who have gone hard on these) would you all have gone as hard as you did if these were not on yours (or others) checklists? Meaning, once they hit ebay, it was the first time you all had ever seen them?

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
So, [MENTION=3735]clarkfan[/MENTION] [MENTION=5592]jszczech[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3401]K34PuckettAddict[/MENTION] (and others who have gone hard on these) would you all have gone as hard as you did if these were not on yours (or others) checklists? Meaning, once they hit ebay, it was the first time you all had ever seen them?

In the 17 years I've been on ebay this is only the 3rd time that remember them being listed at all. The first time there were 2 cards listed at $400 each from a Puckett guy breaking up his collection. I ended up doing a lot of deals with him and gained some background knowledge on the set. At the time I would have never paid that much for any card except the mirror gold. I went $350 on this one in the hope of completing the 4 card set. I probably wouldn't have gone that high otherwise. This card and the 1990 sportflics promo are my two most wanted promo cards at this point.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009

If I see a previously unknown Clark card, I'm going to try my hardest to land it regardless if it's on my need list, but the fact I assumed it to exist for the past 15 years, or at least since I first saw the Puckett and Ozzie's, it definitely encouraged me to work a little harder to get it. I can't have it all and great cards have escaped me, but the fact these were from the 90's and still on my need list, made this a major accomplishment. But like I mentioned before, now that a Clark definitely exists, 3 more Clark's might or probably exist :)

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
Like Josh, I haven't seen the Puckett's come up often on eBay. I've been buying on eBay since '98. They were part of a very early list of "known" Puckett cards to exist. I still use the list today and always find cards that aren't even on it. I paid $50, $250, $400 and $400 for the four Ace cards that I have. The last two coming from the Puckett collector Josh mentioned. It's tough to say if I would have gone up to $400 not knowing the cards existed before seeing them. I seriously doubt I woulda gone as high as $400, but I woulda have made an attempt to buy them.

I found a 1996 Afficionado First Pitch Preview of Puckett shortly after I joined eBay. I suspect it was on my list i was using at the time. I was unfamiliar with the card though and had never seen one before. I asked my local card shop about it and they hadn't heard of them or seen them either. They recommended I not waste my money as it may have been fake or who knows what... Anyway, I listened to them and didn't buy it. I think it ended for like $100 bucks. I regretted not buying that card when I had the chance and it took over a decade and around $250 to finally buy one. I've had a different mindset since that experience and am more aggressive on buying a card I haven't seen before. $400 agressive, maybe not, but I'd still make the effort.

TxRyan

Jan 21, 2016
Does anyone here happen to have an EXTRA 1999 Upper Deck #216 Will Clark Exclusives Level 1 (#/100) they would be willing to trade or sell?

This one has eluded me for years. The last one I saw on eBay was a couple years ago and I was outbid for it.

It is the only card missing from my otherwise complete Texas Rangers team set of 1999 UD Exclusives Level 1.
It has to be the Rangers card from series 1, not the Orioles card from series 2.

As an aside, the 1999 Upper Deck set had some quirks:

1. There was a gap between Series 1 and Series 2 such that cards 256-265 do not exist.
2. The "Exclusives Level 1" cards in Series 1 had the serial number stamped in bronze foil on the back of the cards. The number was large and stood out really well on a black rectangular background. But this was changed (cheapened) for Series 2 where the serial number was printed in smaller black numbers on a white rectangular background. The numbers were harder to read and looked to be printed by a dot matrix printer!
3. The "Exclusives Level 2" cards in Series 1 were 1/1. But this was changed for Series 2 where Level 2 was #/10.
4. Series 1 Hobby Boxes included a sealed pack of 1989 Upper Deck Hi Series

There were so many things to like about Series 1, the changes in Series 2 were a let down for me.