Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Most valuable card of very average or bust player?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Funny the Davenport RC was mentioned. While browsing ebay last night, I hit upon the idea of completing the 2001 Bowman Chrome autograph set except for the Pujols (which is still as strong as ever, it seems). I have one that I pulled way back then, Jason Belcher. And I figured all the others are very affordable, except the Davenport. But as it happens, there's one that's been rolling over at $25. Most others are available for $15 BINs. Tell me what you think about when you see these names.
#331 Greg Nash AU RC
#332 Brad Cresse AU
#333 John Buck AU RC
#334 Freddie Bynum AU RC
#335 Felix Diaz AU RC
#336 Jason Belcher AU RC
#337 Troy Farnsworth AU RC
#338 Roberto Miniel AU RC
#339 Esix Snead AU RC
#340 Albert Pujols AU RC
#341 Jeff Andra AU RC
#342 Victor Hall AU RC
#343 Pedro Liriano AU RC
#344 Andy Beal AU RC
#345 Bob Keppel AU RC
#346 Brian Schmitt AU RC
#347 Ron Davenport AU RC
#348 Tony Blanco AU RC
#349 Reggie Griggs AU RC
#350 Derrick Van Dusen AU RC

I took a flyer on Esix Sneads in 2001. I pulled a couple nice cards and picked up a few really nice rare ones from the myriad of forgettable sets (I think I have a Fleer Platinum #/10, something like that) cheap. He was hitting like .330 with 100 SBs in single-A, IIRC, so what the hell. But that failed. Oh well.

Anyway, with the Davenport no longer costing as much as a Davenport anymore, this could be the all-time XXXXs-n-giggles project. Toe Nash? Jeez, was that even real life? Wasn't Tony Blanco about $150 at one point? Brad Cresse, Bob Keppel, Pedro Liriano, John Buck. Man, good times.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Yes, someone was buying them all up for years, paying pretty much any price. It was in Beckett as high as $250 or something for a while.

Mrpokey

Jan 30, 2011
I believe if you look at a Beckett even today ,the Davenport is the 2nd highest priced auto in the set, behind Pujols. Or at least it was that way for years and years

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Saw this article and have to wonder...

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/1964-topps-curt-flood-whats-deal/

Apparnetly someone or some group has the ability to affect the market on this card.

Reminds of the guy who is chasing Tim Wallach cards. He says his goal is to get them ALL, not every different card, but EVERY copy of every card ever made. Obviously a marketing gimmick, as this task would be impossible even with Bill Gates cash and eternal life, but it has gotten him attention.

http://timwallach.blogspot.com

Members online

Latest posts