Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How much should you have saved to purchase a '52 Mantle? Paging experts!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Pretty simple... If I (or anyone) were thinking about purchasing an authentic '52 Mantle (now or in the near future) how much should they have set aside and/or be willing to pay?

From the little research I've done, most look to be graded, so if someone has price ranges for what someone should expect per grade, that'd be very helpful!

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
Pretty simple... If I (or anyone) were thinking about purchasing an authentic '52 Mantle (now or in the near future) how much should they have set aside and/or be willing to pay?

From the little research I've done, most look to be graded, so if someone has price ranges for what someone should expect per grade, that'd be very helpful!

I've seen a few graded range from $10,000-$27,500. I would try to negotiate to about $9,500 and put up half and about $200 every 2 weeks

Last edited:

GriffeyFan

Nov 28, 2011
Yea I meant MINIMAL,as in graded-authentic or a PSA1..lol PSA 2's go for more than that.3's go for $5,000+ last I checked.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
Here's my question tho, maybe some light can be shed, we all know that the 52' mantle is every collectors dream, but would it make more sense to be in the hunt for his 51' Bowman? I mean, what makes the 52' card so prestige? I mean from what I know, the 51' is his TRUE rookie card? Your thoughts?

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Here's my question tho, maybe some light can be shed, we all know that the 52' mantle is every collectors dream, but would it make more sense to be in the hunt for his 51' Bowman? I mean, what makes the 52' card so prestige? I mean from what I know, the 51' is his TRUE rookie card? Your thoughts?

I'll punt to the experts but I'm 99% sure it's because of scarcity. The '52 cards were like dumped into the ocean, limited supply.

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
I'll punt to the experts but I'm 99% sure it's because of scarcity. The '52 cards were like dumped into the ocean, limited supply.

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

I hear you Mac, but I still find it weird that if I were to find a random collector and have him choose between the two, he would jump on the 52' in a heart beat, I thought rookie cards were the way to go? Just saying.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I would sit aside $10,000 and look for a well centered 4 or 5. I would not want anything less for a PC.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I paid $7200 for a 1952 PSA 3, about 4 years ago and thought I did well. I paid $2775 for a SBC 51 Bowman Mantle about a year earlier.
DANNY

Bogeysave82

Jan 16, 2013
I'd start at $4500 I think at the right show one might get lucky... Not to mention the stuff turning up at auction houses lately is crazy might score one there lol

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I hear you Mac, but I still find it weird that if I were to find a random collector and have him choose between the two, he would jump on the 52' in a heart beat, I thought rookie cards were the way to go? Just saying.

All I can lean on is my involvement in the hobby in the early 1980's, and back then the 1952 Mantle was the flagship card of Topps and the hobby. So much so that I doubt the average collector even really knew about the 1951 Bowman card, and even if they did it was vastly overshadowed in popularity, desire, and price. In the end (or rather the beginning) I think it was simply the 1952 Topps card that first caught the attention of buyers/collectors/investors, coupled with the fact it was a Topps card (yes, that meant a LOT in the early 1980's) and it just steamrolled from there as his most desired card. Mind you, this was (and still is considered by many) his 'RC' card. It was even listed as such in all reference/price guides of the time.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
All I can lean on is my involvement in the hobby in the early 1980's, and back then the 1952 Mantle was the flagship card of Topps and the hobby. So much so that I doubt the average collector even really knew about the 1951 Bowman card, and even if they did it was vastly overshadowed in popularity, desire, and price. In the end (or rather the beginning) I think it was simply the 1952 Topps card that first caught the attention of buyers/collectors/investors, coupled with the fact it was a Topps card (yes, that meant a LOT in the early 1980's) and it just steamrolled from there as his most desired card. Mind you, this was (and still is considered by many) his 'RC' card. It was even listed as such in all reference/price guides of the time.

I just learned something new.