Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What is your process when you receive a card???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
So I was thinking today how many steps I go through each time I receive a card. It is crazy, but the only way I know to keep good track of what I have.

For example, today I got this card...

w7idxv65.jpg

Here is my process:

1) Scan the card

2) Add it to my custom spreadsheet that currently has 23 tabs for different collections/projects. (It is a beast)

3) Add card to Zistle. I input the card into the database if it is not already there or add a scan if needed.

4) Upload the scan to Sports Card Album

5) Leave feedback on eBay or FCB depending on where I got the card

6) Finally I put the card in the appropriate box or album

All told this takes me about 10 minutes per card, but that is reduced if I have a big mailday and can do several at once.

What does everybody else do??

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
But I'll also weigh in that my system is pretty similar. I gave up scanning when my laptop was down for repairs and never went back to it. It's almost easier to scan or take a phone pic IF I feel the need to show the card for some reason or I'm bored. Day in and day out, updating the spreadsheet and putting the card in the proper box/order of my cards are really the only vital steps anymore

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
1. Marinate the card overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Place in oven, rotating and re-glazing the card every 15 minutes until the juices run clear or the card has caught fire and burnt to ashes.
4. Remove from oven, scan for my records, garnish with peanut shells and voila!

Techniq

Jan 2, 2014
South San Francisco, CA
For regular cards

1.) add to Beckett organizer
2.) put in box

For autos/GU/serialed

1.) add to Beckett organizer
2.) put in protective sleeve
3.) put in binder

For TTM

1.) take picture
2.) post it here in the TTM success thread/my own thread
3.) put in protective sleeve
4.) put in binder

Nothing too crazy but I do get set behind on large quantity purchases.. But I actually enjoy inputting everything and watching my collection grow.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I usually toss the bubble mailer on my book shelf or desk until I can get some free time to open it in peace. Usually within a week or three I will open it, quickly inspect the card, then tuck it back in the bubble mailer and put it back on the shelf or desk for some time between a few days to a few months before taking it back out and properly putting it in the appropriate box.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Lol ^^^

A: Take it out of package and inspect it
B: take a picture clear of any holders and sleeves
C: put it back in protective packaging and place inside my sports cabinet
D: when I get a pile of new pickups they get put into the appropriate fire safe (1 of 4 boxes currently)

I've given up on scanning, adding to Beckett org and adding to photobucket. The latter two somehow always end up missing information and pics.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Open it, notice a crease because they shipped it in a card saver or between two pieces of cereal box in a pwe, and ship it back to the dumb as hell seller.

but thats rare. I usually open it, acknowledge the fact i received it, and put it on the shelf. Eventually i scan them all, then i go in and name the cards. Then i upload them into my jalbum. Once thats done it goes into yet another pile. The needs to get put into the binders pile. That pile is growing bad. I need to spend some quality time getting them into their binders. Takes a long time.

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
Sorry guys. I forgot that I had already done a thread about this 3 months ago.

I have a hard time remembering what I ate for dinner last night. :)

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
take said card I just got in and

1. run to the kitchen to get scissors and cut open package and remove card. (remember kids never run with scissors only run to get scissors) :p

2. Take card received and put with others of like colors and material (see washing instruction tab for more info.)

3. Then set on living room floor and lay down on top of said cards and roll around (see video below for example)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml0_n5ZqZZ0

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I'm not a set, team or player collector, so it's not as vital to track, but I still haven't put stuff I got in mid-May away or even taken pics...

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
[MENTION=4070]pootshwan[/MENTION]
The cases are smaller but easier to handle I think. By the pic you can see what I meant by fitting three rows in the case. Graded you'll get two rows.
I have mixed sized holders in this case but the general idea is there
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1405903650.574046.jpg
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1405903668.594175.jpg

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
[MENTION=4070]pootshwan[/MENTION]
The cases are smaller but easier to handle I think. By the pic you can see what I meant by fitting three rows in the case. Graded you'll get two rows.
I have mixed sized holders in this case but the general idea is there
View attachment 38228
View attachment 38229
Is that for security or fire protection? I'm hesitant to invest in something like that myself because the lock would draw a burglar's eye and the case probably wouldn't protect the cards in a full-on fire.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Just in case. I wouldn't expect it to hold up in a raging house fire.. But an everyday "life happens" mistake is what I'm aiming to protect from.
Kids, bladder control dogs (I had 200-300sv lost this way) maybe a candle starts up and I can get to it in time.. Not taking that chance

Members online

Latest posts