Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Unopened 1948 Bowman packs anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
That's weird how Bowman branded their first set as Play Ball, the same name of the Gum, Inc. brand sets of 1939-1941.

I wonder if it was just a coincidence or on purpose since WWII caused companies to stop the major brands from making sets after that Play Ball set, and then didn't resume until the Bowman and Leaf sets of '48.

There were regional sets like Bond Bread in '47, but the major manufacturers were basically shut down during the war and until '48.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I could only imagine the adrenaline pumping through that guy's veins as he was opening that '52. You could just see how much he was shaking. Talk about exhilarating!

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I could only imagine the adrenaline pumping through that guy's veins as he was opening that '52. You could just see how much he was shaking. Talk about exhilarating!

Noticed that also. And I can imagine when he saw what he had there and realized he took a hit of many thousands of dollars... ouch.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
does the value of the 48 bowman take a hit because the box isn't in good shape? ;)

seems weird the packs were "authenticated" by someone who hasn't seen those before. How can you be assured of legitimacy if there is no reference exemplar unless you are saying these packs and boxes have the typical box and pack characteristics of sports cards of that era.

btw, are the packs covered in plain paper wrappers or wax-like paper?

Ryans Rust

Nov 5, 2014
CA
Here's another pic.

1qvfusr7rvp3.jpg

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
does the value of the 48 bowman take a hit because the box isn't in good shape? ;)

seems weird the packs were "authenticated" by someone who hasn't seen those before. How can you be assured of legitimacy if there is no reference exemplar unless you are saying these packs and boxes have the typical box and pack characteristics of sports cards of that era.

btw, are the packs covered in plain paper wrappers or wax-like paper?

They were authenticated by the best pack authenticator in the hobby, who authenticates unopened for a living. His word is gold in the unopened side of the hobby, and rightfully so.

I just find it amazing that something that old and unopened still exists 70 years later.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I showed this article to my wife the other day and she was amazed that something like this has survived.

I would think that the deep pockets collectors will be out for this auction.. also maybe a museum or the Hall of fame..

If you came across something like this, what would you do?

Ryans Rust

Nov 5, 2014
CA
Steve Hart is the Chuck Norris of the card hobby. IMO With so many hobby icons leaving us, Steve is in the next wave of "good guys".

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
If you came across something like this, what would you do?

Considering it's a partial box and not a complete full box, I'd keep a few packs and auction off the box with the remaining packs.

I'd still be undecided what to do with the packs I keep, but the likely scenario would keep the packs in my collection and then donate them to the Hall of Fame or auction them off at a later date.

and, yes, it's amazing unopened material still exists like this somewhere. It's not like the 1940's and 1950's kids thought of trading cards as collectibles and stashed away unopened boxes and packs like we collectors did in the 1980's. I know I won't have a find like this at my childhood home - I was the only collector in the family, I didn't start collecting until 1981 and the childhood home was built for my dad/mom (thus single owner) and was built in the late 60's. The only thing you might find in my childhood home is some 1985-1987 topps unopened boxes that are probably buried in my closet and that won't be valuable material.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Considering it's a partial box and not a complete full box, I'd keep a few packs and auction off the box with the remaining packs.

I'd still be undecided what to do with the packs I keep, but the likely scenario would keep the packs in my collection and then donate them to the Hall of Fame or auction them off at a later date.

and, yes, it's amazing unopened material still exists like this somewhere. It's not like the 1940's and 1950's kids thought of trading cards as collectibles and stashed away unopened boxes and packs like we collectors did in the 1980's. I know I won't have a find like this at my childhood home - I was the only collector in the family, I didn't start collecting until 1981 and the childhood home was built for my dad/mom (thus single owner) and was built in the late 60's. The only thing you might find in my childhood home is some 1985-1987 topps unopened boxes that are probably buried in my closet and that won't be valuable material.

I had some cards in boxes at home when I moved out.. my mom was cleaning one day and thought that since I moved out that they were garbage.. I grabbed a beckett and showed her what those early 60's cards were selling for. She felt so bad.. but not as bad as when she gave my dad's 57 chevy he was restoring away for nothing!!! He was out hunting and a guy stopped by and she thought it was junk, so gave it to him.. So I don't feel too bad.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
the 1948 bowman find is obviously a very good find! Recently ended at auction for just over a half million dollars ($521K and change).

Members online