Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

how many current mlb players smoke cigrits?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
There are some players who smoke cigarettes on a regular basis, many players have an occasional cigar, and there are those who smoke marijuana.

I smoked for about 10 years (from age 13 to 23). Before I got fat, I used to play a lot of basketball at the local blacktop courts. Not only was I a 1 pack (or slightly more) a day smoker, but I would often play with a cigarette hanging out of my mouth and take drags while on defense or manning the post on offense. I never had a hard time breathing or keeping up with anyone (smokers or non-smokers).

Now I know that I was only 5 or so years into smoking (Newports were my brand for those 5 years), but I never noticed a single respiratory problem. After quitting slightly over 3 years ago, I haven't noticed a single change. I felt the same smoke free as I did while smoking. Now again, that was after only 10 years. My point is this - with the age most players start playing and the age they retire or drift away, it's feasible that they could smoke and not have any negative impact on the field. Not to mention the positions that don't really require a lot of physical activity.

If anyone cares to read up on my story of quitting and backstory :

As I said, I smoked for around 10 years. My mother never smoked. My father started smoking when he was 8 years old (still shocks me to hear that) and quit shortly after I was born. I grew up in a smoke free house, and none of my grandparents or uncle smoked. I had my first cigarette walking home along the train tracks back in 6th grade around 13 years old.

I quit cold turkey almost on a whim on 1/9/2010. My best friend passed away (not related to smoking) and I was at a get together with our common friends and his family. I was chain smoking and knocking back beers while playing pool. As we were all saying our goodbyes to head home at the end of the night, my deceased friend's sister crinkled her nose and said "Ew, you really smell like smoke.". Those words just struck a chord with me and I haven't had a single cigarette since that moment; no "last cigarette" before quitting. I just tossed what was left in my pack and never lit up another.

I miss smoking. I don't mean that I have cravings or anything. I just sometimes want to light one up because I truly enjoyed it. I smoked menthols. There is no feeling quite like sitting back on your porch on a hot summer day, lighting up a cigarette, and just watching small town life pass you by for that 7 minutes. Not to mention a smoke with an ice cold beer or rum n coke, or a smoke break during a stressful work day.

The dangers of smoking never bothered me.There are a million things out there that will eff up my life, from microwave popcorn bags to using paint stripper on woodwork, not to mention medicines I take to treat one ailment are slowly destroying my mind and possibly organs. The whole "smoking isn't cool" thing never worked because I never thought that it was cool. It was just something I enjoyed, same as drinking a favorite beverage or playing a video game.

The only reason I quit was because of those six words my friend's sister said to me. She was like extended family because I and her brother were so close. It just bothered me that I bothered her. If she hadn't blurted that out, I'd probably still be smoking. It was rare that I'd be around non-smokers with a cigarette smell lingering on me, but I didn't really care that night given the circumstances. Serendipity at its finest.

I was always a "considerate" smoker. I absolutely never lit up if there was a child nearby even when their neglectful parents chose to, never smoked inside my house or car (unless I had my T-tops off), didn't throw butts wherever I finished them (HATE people who do that), etc., so it always pissed me off when people would try to give me the whole "well you hurt me when you smoke" routine. XXXX off. People lecturing me on smoking would be more hazardous to their health (if you know what I mean :toughguy:) than my smoking.

wolters03

Feb 14, 2011
St. Paul, MN
I was at Publix yesterday and they offered me a sample (shot glass size) of chocolate wine.

It was yummy.

Then I thought of the NFL thread. Shold I have driven home? OR stayed at Publix through the night?

I think I just pead my pants!

Sent from my PC36100 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Brennan.. I'm buying the cliff notes to that. Way to channel your inner sun tzu.

Cliffs notes :

- Players smoke tobacco and marijuana.
- I smoked from 13 to 23 years old.
- The three point line wasn't the only thing I lit up on at the local courts back in the day.
- My friend died. His sister said I smelled. I quit smoking that exact moment, never having a single cigrit again.
- I banged Eva Mendes. Threw that in to see if you're paying attention.
- I hate people who try to look down and force their views on smokers. I want to cause bodily harm to them.

You do know that plenty of non-smokers get lung cancer as well, right? Have you ever met someone who NEVER smoked a day in their lives, yet still got lung cancer?

Also, to my knowledge, I don't believe there are any 100% preventable cancers out there. Anyone can get any cancer (except men cannot get ovarian cancer and women cannot get testicular cancer).

Please, educate yourself about EVERY topic you post in BEFORE you decide to post. I will refrain from echoing any past statements, but you are making yourself out to look like a bigger fool every time you post some your uneducated nonsense.

Hmmm...I am pretty sure cancer FROM SMOKING is very preventable.

Cliffs notes :

- Players smoke tobacco and marijuana.
- I smoked from 13 to 23 years old.
- The three point line wasn't the only thing I lit up on at the local courts back in the day.
- My friend died. His sister said I smelled. I quit smoking that exact moment, never having a single cigrit again.
- I banged Eva Mendes. Threw that in to see if you're paying attention.
- I hate people who try to look down and force their views on smokers. I want to cause bodily harm to them.

I believe everything except you hitting 3s!

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I'm probably the most anti-smoking person you'll ever find.

I hate it.

I hate the smell of it, I would never date anyone who smoked, I just can't deal with being around people who smoke.

I hate going to get my hair cut and the person cutting my hair smells like smoke.

I hate going places and being around people who are smoking. It's honestly enough to make me choose to not go certain places.

I am extremely glad they took away the designated smoking areas at Busch Stadium and make people go outside.

I am extremely happy that Illinois has adopted the no smoking laws in public places, it's fantastic. Now I don't have to worry about going to a restaurant or a bar and worry about being around smokers. AND if I DO go to an establishment where they are allowing smoking inside, I DO CALL the hotline and report them.

I almost got a local tavern here closed because they kept going against the no smoking law. I do drink. I'm not an alcoholic, but I drink beer. I stay away from all liquor. And I work midnights, so sometimes I'd go through the drive through there and pick up some Coors Light on my way home. And I literally had to wash the beer before I put it in my fridge or else I tasted the smoke, or it made the rest of my fridge smell as bad as the beer did. So I finally got sick of it and called the hotline number. Nothing changed, kept happening, so one day I called the police and the hotline number. Went by there the next week, and bam, they've started following the LAW. I don't feel bad for this at all. I am sure that a ton of my co-workers don't like that they can't go in there after work anymore and smoke while they have a few drinks, but if an establishment isn't supposed to allow smoking, then it shouldn't. And I don't feel bad for reporting them.

If there was a drunk driver getting in a car and I seen them, I'd report them as well.

XXXX, I reported Logan's Roadhouse the other day for ignoring franchise-wide policy not allowing the call-ahead seating option because they told me it was 'too confusing'. XXXX them and their stupid ass ignorant employees who find it too difficult to put a name down on a list and follow it in order. XXXXing morons. Man that pissed me off. If I've planned all week to drive a XXXXing hour for dinner with my family to a certain place BECAUSE they do the call-ahead seating, and on the way they tell us it's 'too confusing'???? You bet your ass I had the regional manager on the phone in about 7 minutes. And I'm going to call them the next few Friday nights around 5:30 and ask if they're going the call-ahead, and if they tell me no, I'll call the regional manager AGAIN. Why should the entire community suffer because a few people are XXXXing stupid?

Sorry, got derailed.....

Smoking is baaaaad......mmmm-kay.

24958310.jpg

Last edited:

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I know over 30 people who have died of cancer. None ever smoked. 4 from lung cancer. The point is ,if you have a cancer gene from family history your screwed. I have a family history of diabetes i fight it every day for the last 7 years. I take no meds,i watch what i eat keep my weight down and walk an avg of 7 miles a day. I smoke and enjoy it. I will quit when i retire. Its the ony thing that keeps me sane at work. A co-worker once said to me. " thats right you dont drink,sorry"

I know over 30 people who have died of cancer. None ever smoked. 4 from lung cancer. The point is ,if you have a cancer gene from family history your screwed. I have a family history of diabetes i fight it every day for the last 7 years. I take no meds,i watch what i eat keep my weight down and walk an avg of 7 miles a day. I smoke and enjoy it. I will quit when i retire. Its the ony thing that keeps me sane at work. A co-worker once said to me. " thats right you dont drink,sorry"

I am a bit confused...you know of over 30 people that have died of cancer...Yet, you smoke...which is a great way to get cancer....

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I'm probably the most anti-smoking person you'll ever find.

I hate it.

I hate the smell of it, I would never date anyone who smoked, I just can't deal with being around people who smoke.

I hate going to get my hair cut and the person cutting my hair smells like smoke.

I hate going places and being around people who are smoking. It's honestly enough to make me choose to not go certain places.

I am extremely glad they took away the designated smoking areas at Busch Stadium and make people go outside.

I am extremely happy that Illinois has adopted the no smoking laws in public places, it's fantastic. Now I don't have to worry about going to a restaurant or a bar and worry about being around smokers. AND if I DO go to an establishment where they are allowing smoking inside, I DO CALL the hotline and report them.

I almost got a local tavern here closed because they kept going against the no smoking law. I do drink. I'm not an alcoholic, but I drink beer. I stay away from all liquor. And I work midnights, so sometimes I'd go through the drive through there and pick up some Coors Light on my way home. And I literally had to wash the beer before I put it in my fridge or else I tasted the smoke, or it made the rest of my fridge smell as bad as the beer did. So I finally got sick of it and called the hotline number. Nothing changed, kept happening, so one day I called the police and the hotline number. Went by there the next week, and bam, they've started following the LAW. I don't feel bad for this at all. I am sure that a ton of my co-workers don't like that they can't go in there after work anymore and smoke while they have a few drinks, but if an establishment isn't supposed to allow smoking, then it shouldn't. And I don't feel bad for reporting them.

If there was a drunk driver getting in a car and I seen them, I'd report them as well.

XXXX, I reported Logan's Roadhouse the other day for ignoring franchise-wide policy not allowing the call-ahead seating option because they told me it was 'too confusing'. XXXX them and their stupid ass ignorant employees who find it too difficult to put a name down on a list and follow it in order. XXXXing morons. Man that pissed me off. If I've planned all week to drive a XXXXing hour for dinner with my family to a certain place BECAUSE they do the call-ahead seating, and on the way they tell us it's 'too confusing'???? You bet your ass I had the regional manager on the phone in about 7 minutes. And I'm going to call them the next few Friday nights around 5:30 and ask if they're going the call-ahead, and if they tell me no, I'll call the regional manager AGAIN. Why should the entire community suffer because a few people are XXXXing stupid?

Sorry, got derailed.....

Smoking is baaaaad......mmmm-kay.

24958310.jpg

"I am extremely happy that Illinois has adopted the no smoking laws in public places, it's fantastic. Now I don't have to worry about going to a restaurant or a bar "
Now you can get drunk in a smoke free bar walk out drunk into the the street and get splattered by a bus.

TopOffLikeWALLACE

Feb 11, 2010
HouStros
Smoking is bad for your health. If you do smoke, you should think about cutting down and quitting. A good 25% of the patients I see in the hospital are there for ailments related to smoking (bronchitis, COPD, pneumonia ect.) The rest of the breakdown goes as follows- -25% old, %25% fat, 25% random.

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota
I am a bit confused...you know of over 30 people that have died of cancer...Yet, you smoke...which is a great way to get cancer....

What is there to be confused about? He pretty much stated the facts and you repeated them. Doesn't look sound like there's much for you to be confused about.

I smoked for 7 years. Started when I was 14, bought packs up until this past September and still smoked occasionally up until a week ago and probably will continue to smoke occasionally/when I drink. I don't miss it physically/addiction, but I do miss it. I enjoyed it and still enjoy it, but I want to be around for my step-daughter, son, and eventual kids for as long as possible. But, I firmly believe that many things, in moderation, are acceptable whether it's drinking, smoking, dip, etc. THOUSANDS of items people come in contact with every day can cause cancer, I might as well enjoy one of them...At least on occasion.

You have absolutely NO room to talk about ANYTHING smoking, drinking, etc because YOU'VE NEVER DONE IT. You're welcome to spew whatever psycho babble BS, it's a free country. But if you want people to look at you with even a shred of credibility/respect, you need to get your XXXX together.

/rant

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Smoked for 18 years. Loved every minute of it as smoking is fun and relaxing.

Quit cold turkey 14 months ago next week and It was the best thing I ever did.

Ashamed I ever smoked and amazed I never broke down

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Man, an occasional smoke is nice, and we all gotta die of something. Might as well live in the meantime.

Anyone seen the rates of colon cancer in this country? I hope you're a vegetarian, biggiobrooks.

What is there to be confused about? He pretty much stated the facts and you repeated them. Doesn't look sound like there's much for you to be confused about.

I smoked for 7 years. Started when I was 14, bought packs up until this past September and still smoked occasionally up until a week ago and probably will continue to smoke occasionally/when I drink. I don't miss it physically/addiction, but I do miss it. I enjoyed it and still enjoy it, but I want to be around for my step-daughter, son, and eventual kids for as long as possible. But, I firmly believe that many things, in moderation, are acceptable whether it's drinking, smoking, dip, etc. THOUSANDS of items people come in contact with every day can cause cancer, I might as well enjoy one of them...At least on occasion.

You have absolutely NO room to talk about ANYTHING smoking, drinking, etc because YOU'VE NEVER DONE IT. You're welcome to spew whatever psycho babble BS, it's a free country. But if you want people to look at you with even a shred of credibility/respect, you need to get your XXXX together.

/rant

You guys are very strange...You want be around for your kids...yet you contine to suck tar and other crap down your throat and lungs that has an amazing chance to give you cancer....WOW. and yes...I have never tried that useless money wasting crap and I never will. Yet, I know what smoking can and will do to you.

Latest posts