Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NL Cy Young Race

Who is your front runner for the NL Cy Young

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
So far this year, we have a VERY competitive and close NL Cy Young race.

There are a few very familiar names amidst plenty of newcomers and it looks like this will be quite the race for the rest of the season.

Who is your current NL Cy young front runner and why?

My choice is a homer pick, as I have been a fan of his since day one, Clayton Kershaw. Top 4 amongst all pitchers in ERA, WHIP, SO, IP, CG, BAA, WAR. He has terrible run support (ERA under 2, yet he only has 5 wins in 13 games), has allowed more than 3 runs only twice all season and has allowed zero runs with 7 or more innings pitcher 4 times on the season.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Corbin.... IMO
Even his 3 ND he pitched well in and were DBack wins. Could be 12-0

Ryan

Last edited:

thatsawinner

Jun 4, 2013
NL rookie of the year is, so far, between Harvey and Shelby Miller. Both of them should be All-Stars. But I'm not sure this is the year for either of them to win the cy young award

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
NL rookie of the year is, so far, between Harvey and Shelby Miller. Both of them should be All-Stars. But I'm not sure this is the year for either of them to win the cy young award

Harvey lost his rookie eligibility last season

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
There's also a certain closer with a sub-1.00 ERA averaging WAY more than a K/inning and hasn't blown a save yet.

(Someone had to bring it up)

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
Jordan Zimmermann should at least be on the list of choices. 9-3 with a 2.00 ERA...

Last edited:

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
As the OP said, there are many pitchers in the running and it is an exciting race, but if the voting was today...I really see no other candidate that Wainwright right now. NL leader in WAR, 91 K, 7 BB...9-3 record...1.02 WHIP...2.34 ERA...game over.

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
Really, game over? Yeah, I'm a Nats fan, but I'd point out that Jordan Zimmermann has a lower ERA (2.00) and lower WHIP (0.887) than Wainwright and his WAR is 2.7 compared to Wainwright's 3.8. He also has 61 Ks vs. 13 walks, which isn't as good as Wainwright but is certainly impressive as well. Zimmermann (and not Strasburg) really deserves to be in the discussion.
As the OP said, there are many pitchers in the running and it is an exciting race, but if the voting was today...I really see no other candidate that Wainwright right now. NL leader in WAR, 91 K, 7 BB...9-3 record...1.02 WHIP...2.34 ERA...game over.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Wainwright has been phenomenal - great peripherals and a gaudy BB/9. He's pitched against a BABIP of .328 meaning there's room for statistical improvement. Hard to bet against Wainwright at the moment, but Kershaw, Harvey, and even Miller aren't too far behind. Miller and Harvey had spectacular debuts. All fun guys to watch.

I'll repost my thoughts on Corbin here, for anyone who cares:
http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...dschmidt-front-runner-nl-mvp.html#post1987251

Last edited:

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Really, game over? Yeah, I'm a Nats fan, but I'd point out that Jordan Zimmermann has a lower ERA (2.00) and lower WHIP (0.887) than Wainwright and his WAR is 2.7 compared to Wainwright's 3.8. He also has 61 Ks vs. 13 walks, which isn't as good as Wainwright but is certainly impressive as well. Zimmermann (and not Strasburg) really deserves to be in the discussion.

You just got done pointing out how Wainwright was better than Zimmermann....you basically did my job for me:)

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
My point was that it's by no means as clear cut as you implied. Zimmermann has a better ERA and better WHIP. Wainwright has a better K/BB. They're both 9-3. Take away one bad game in Baltimore's Little League field and Zimmermann's stats would be even more ridiculous.
You just got done pointing out how Wainwright was better than Zimmermann....you basically did my job for me:)

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Kershaw with another great outing. Brandon League is the early favorite for Cy Yuck. fffffffffffuuuuuuuuu........

Members online