Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

If you think sports card pack searchers are bad... check out M:TG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Is this a hobby versus retail thing? I don't know **** about it, but this video seems like a how-to for Target. Shop owners should be able to prevent this on principle.

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
I wish I can read this post on the app but it's still not fixed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Freedom Card Board mobile app

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Pack searching, or box mapping, has been a problem for mtg for years. It was supposedly fixed in 2013 when a set called Gatecrash came out, but I don't know. In any mechanical process there are bound to be patterns. Anyway, the new set, Eldritch Moon, has apparently reverted. Yes, dealers can prevent mapping by just mixing up the packs in the box, but few do. And who knows how many take advantage of it themselves. Collation between wrapper image and rarity is a new one though. ID heard something similar for an older set, packs with a certain image on them were the only ones to contain a certain card, but that was really unfounded. Evidence is pretty substantive, though, at least on the first print run.

Last edited:

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I don't know much about MTG, but from the video, he is opening a box, and sorting the box into three piles, obviously because of some "tell" on the packs. He is then opening all the packs to show that it worked, but I am assuming that the last stack is the good ones? THose are the good cards? So you could conceivably open 1/3 of the box and get all the good cards. Am I seeing that right?

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
I don't know much about MTG, but from the video, he is opening a box, and sorting the box into three piles, obviously because of some "tell" on the packs. He is then opening all the packs to show that it worked, but I am assuming that the last stack is the good ones? THose are the good cards? So you could conceivably open 1/3 of the box and get all the good cards. Am I seeing that right?

Yes, it looks like the packs with the chick on them are good in this series

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Yes, it looks like the packs with the chick on them are good in this series

only in that run.

You open packs till you hit mythic. Fish out other packs that match that mythic art. Rest of the box has no mythics. Hobby shops will stop you from doing this, retail isn't affected because the packaging is different.

However I would not touch loose packs from a source I didn't know.

Members online

Latest posts