Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Card Lots - Why Bother?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
How does buying lots without pictures affect his collecting at all? You simply ask for photos, or for a list, and if not, then don't buy it and move on to the next lot......

His question was why bother to list without pictures. And it does hinder his ability to add to his collection. Just as it does with mine. Which is why I don't bother with these types of auctions or BIN's. Which is what I told him to do. To me, if you want to have my money, show me a picture of what it's for. To not do so is wasting my time. And it's hard to take seriously. I'll let it go on places like sport lots where it may be somewhat impractical doing this but even then I've been burned because some sellers give the wrong year or card number or set and then I get stuck with something that I don't need.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Was not trying to imply everyone else collects my way, I know most collectors don't. I was just giving my opinion on why I would buy a lot without a picture. I don't think there is any wrong way to collect. I think everyone should enjoy the hobby the way that is best for them. Mine just happens to be hoarding Dawson cards.

I understand what you're saying. I don't understand why you do what you do but that's not really a big deal. Neither does he apparently. So he asked. Pretty common and no big deal. I don't think it's too crazy. But when you see somebody doing something you don't do, you get curious as to why they do it. The cool thing about this hobby is asking why somebody does something usually lands really cool and interesting answers. Or at the least you get a cool story.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
His question was why bother to list without pictures. And it does hinder his ability to add to his collection. Just as it does with mine. Which is why I don't bother with these types of auctions or BIN's. Which is what I told him to do. To me, if you want to have my money, show me a picture of what it's for. To not do so is wasting my time. And it's hard to take seriously. I'll let it go on places like sport lots where it may be somewhat impractical doing this but even then I've been burned because some sellers give the wrong year or card number or set and then I get stuck with something that I don't need.

I don't understand why you WOULDNT want multiples of the same card if it's a PC guy. I can't wrap my head around WHY you wouldn't have more than one....I mean, I have over 40 chrome autos of a guy in my sig, and thats just the base ones. And 9-10 of them were purchased without seeing a photo and tbh, they were in better condition than the ones with pics.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I don't understand why you WOULDNT want multiples of the same card if it's a PC guy. I can't wrap my head around WHY you wouldn't have more than one.
I hate duplicates. I'm a player collector and a set collector.
I want one of each card.
Why waste money on a duplicate when I can use that money to buy cards that I don't have. (or save the money)

But I understand If you're an investor or prospector, or your player is a minor leaguer with only one or a few cards, like I presume your players have.

Everybody collects differently and we should all respect each others' interests and collecting styles.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Right. Which is why the op's question isn't wrong to ask. Even if you buy multiples, wouldn't it be better with pictures to ensure there isn't a problem with the card(s)? Whether you get multiples or not, it's still a valid question.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
I hate duplicates. I'm a player collector and a set collector.
I want one of each card.
Why waste money on a duplicate when I can use that money to buy cards that I don't have. (or save the money)

But I understand If you're an investor or prospector, or your player is a minor leaguer with only one or a few cards, like I presume your players have.

Everybody collects differently and we should all respect each others' interests and collecting styles.

This was the point I was eluding to, I'm just not that nice to flat out say it.

Just IDK why dawson got jumped on for something he didnt do.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I don't understand why you WOULDNT want multiples of the same card if it's a PC guy. I can't wrap my head around WHY you wouldn't have more than one....I mean, I have over 40 chrome autos of a guy in my sig, and thats just the base ones. And 9-10 of them were purchased without seeing a photo and tbh, they were in better condition than the ones with pics.

My player has over 6,000 total cards. That's not counting non recognized stuff or variations. I'd rather buy every different thing I could find of his. Not just one card.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
This was the point I was eluding to, I'm just not that nice to flat out say it.

Just IDK why dawson got jumped on for something he didnt do.

He didn't. He was asked a question to which he has responded. To be honest, you seem to be the only one who got a little miffed anyone mentioned anything. Nobody was crapping on how you or anyone else collects. People don't need to understand why you do it to respect your collection.

The problem is we went from wondering why sellers trying to gain our money via eBay won't simply take a snap shot of the cards in question, to now people getting upset because they think people are attacking how they collect.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
My player has over 6,000 total cards. That's not counting non recognized stuff or variations. I'd rather buy every different thing I could find of his. Not just one card.

There's not one card of him you own where you think "This card is wicked awesome" or "This card is way too cool and rare to not pick up another one for this price."

If not then I'm sorry, IMO, that's sad =[

2013 Topps Archives Buster Posey Base Card looks just absolutely stunning to me, Though it's not worth much, and never will be worth much, I have over 10 of them that I've randomly picked up here and there.

2013 Topps Archives 180 Buster Posey | eBay

There's not 1 card you have a double of?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
There's not one card of him you own where you think "This card is wicked awesome" or "This card is way too cool and rare to not pick up another one for this price."

If not then I'm sorry, IMO, that's sad =[

2013 Topps Archives Buster Posey Base Card looks just absolutely stunning to me, Though it's not worth much, and never will be worth much, I have over 10 of them that I've randomly picked up here and there.

2013 Topps Archives 180 Buster Posey | eBay

There's not 1 card you have a double of?

Oh absolutely. Most of them were gained through the exact lots we are talking about. If something is rare or just off the chain looking, I'll keep it and move the rest. My issue is space. I do sets, and I also have a large football, basketball, and baseball card collection of singles for players I collect in addition to my Stackhouse and Bagwell collections. Plus I do IP autos on balls, bats, and helmets etc. so I'd much rather spend my time focusing on picking up things I don't already have as opposed to buying extras of something I already do. Some might say I should narrow my focus and in time, I may. I may just go to a Texas only collection as far as what I buy. Or maybe just HOF'ers. Who knows. I don't look down on folks for collecting what they do. I just may not understand it or it may just not be what or how I'd collect. I'm all about having a well rounded collection. Some aren't.

But I'll leave the "oh you're dumb for collecting this or that" for the non-hobbyists or the crabby girlfriends. This board isn't for that and I fully respect people and their collections. I just don't always understand them.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
Oh absolutely. Most of them were gained through the exact lots we are talking about. If something is rare or just off the chain looking, I'll keep it and move the rest. My issue is space. I do sets, and I also have a large football, basketball, and baseball card collection of singles for players I collect in addition to my Stackhouse and Bagwell collections. Plus I do IP autos on balls, bats, and helmets etc. so I'd much rather spend my time focusing on picking up things I don't already have as opposed to buying extras of something I already do. Some might say I should narrow my focus and in time, I may. I may just go to a Texas only collection as far as what I buy. Or maybe just HOF'ers. Who knows. I don't look down on folks for collecting what they do. I just may not understand it or it may just not be what or how I'd collect. I'm all about having a well rounded collection. Some aren't.

But I'll leave the "oh you're dumb for collecting this or that" for the non-hobbyists or the crabby girlfriends. This board isn't for that and I fully respect people and their collections. I just don't always understand them.

I may be the one having to issue an apology, in my head I assumed that the OP meant a no pictures for a specific or a LOT of specific cards (i.e. (50) 2005 Topps Jeff Bagwell Lot) but it may be that you guys are meaning something along the lines of "100 Different Jeff Bagwell Cards" With no pictures or list of cards.

In the first instance, I buy cards without pictures all the time, as long as the title and description are specific enough, they can usually be bought for cheaper than ones with pictures too.

Also I buy a lot of "(20) 2013 Bowman Chrome Clayton Blackburn LOT" type auctions that don't have pictures.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I may be the one having to issue an apology, in my head I assumed that the OP meant a no pictures for a specific or a LOT of specific cards (i.e. (50) 2005 Topps Jeff Bagwell Lot) but it may be that you guys are meaning something along the lines of "100 Different Jeff Bagwell Cards" With no pictures or list of cards.

In the first instance, I buy cards without pictures all the time, as long as the title and description are specific enough, they can usually be bought for cheaper than ones with pictures too.

Also I buy a lot of "(20) 2013 Bowman Chrome Clayton Blackburn LOT" type auctions that don't have pictures.

Yeah, it's the "100 different cards" lots we are referring to. EBay is littered with these for bagwell. Us collecting the same player, I knew exactly what he was talking about. We see them pop up all the time. Usually, I pay them no mind as the chances of me obtaining something I don't have is minimal. I used to ask sellers which cards they were or like a group picture just emailed to me but a lot of times I'd never even get a reply.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Wow. Im glad people have so many ways of collecting, but like Predator said, i was referring to the blind lots of ten cards of a single player. Not ten of 1995 topps #65 , or ten of 2003 SP Authentic #32 , etc etc... If its listed without a picture but the card is named in the title, then thats fine. I dont need a picture. But its just the lots of different cards. No list, no picture. Thats what i was referring to.

I search Bagwell almost daily, but see these lots listed time and again. And it made me wonder who buys them. So i just figured id ask. I never insulted anyones style of collecting.

I guess if i was just starting out collecting, then these blind lots may pay off. A long time ago i would buy lots and wind up with so many duplicates. A hundred card lot would contain 8, 9, sometimes more of just one card. Got burned so many times that i personally chose to not buy anymore lots unless i knew what i was getting ahead of time.

So collect how you wish, im not judging. This is what we enjoy. :)

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
I have over 350,000 cards most by team in alphabetical order and will sell team / players lots or sometimes trade . Easy to make a box of 1000 /2000 different cards of 100 plus players 1980's /2011 .

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
Lots without pics / lists sell for a lot less because everyone assumes it is just common stuff... and 98% of the time it is.

But sometimes it's fun to take a shot, and you can get stuff way underpriced.

I also like collecting duplicates of cards I like. Sometimes 2 of everything feels about right.
[MENTION=10405]Hawk8[/MENTION] I love your giant stacks of Dawson DK etc I think that's a cool way to collect! :)

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Lots without pics / lists sell for a lot less because everyone assumes it is just common stuff... and 98% of the time it is.

But sometimes it's fun to take a shot, and you can get stuff way underpriced.

I also like collecting duplicates of cards I like. Sometimes 2 of everything feels about right.
@Hawk8 I love your giant stacks of Dawson DK etc I think that's a cool way to collect! :)

Thanks! Have to love the DKs!

Members online

Latest posts