Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1963 Topps Pete Rose RC *Only* PSA 10 To Go Up For Auction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I've been paying more attention to post-war vintage lately and it's getting crazy again. Sort of like prices stabilized for a couple years, now people are looking around and saying,"Card X is only selling for that much? What a bargain!" and prices are taking off. If you zoom in real close on the scan, you see some tiny flaking in the blue edges and corners, and I suppose that's really unavoidable, but it's maybe not an "11" that some people might look for at the price. I'd say conservatively $150K, probably more in the $200-250K range.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Damn, prices just keep going... Lets say there is no recession still in effect.

Ryan

Your bolded statement was exactly what I was wondering

I am absolutely dumbfounded at the amount of money being tossed around right now. I understand the appeal to vintage cards. But the prices are just unreal. And as AC mentioned if I had 125K laying around a baseball card would be the furthest from my mind. The only card that I would have ever considered dropping serious cash for may have been a 52 Topps Mantle. But now that a PSA 4 goes for 50+ No thanks. Unsustainable IMO.
Hypothetically If you took away the big fish right now PWCC auctions, would vintage really be this explosive? IDK maybe but seems these guys have really pushed the envelope and have opened Pandora's box on the vintage market. At the very least the exposure has gotten much more visible to the ridiculous prices.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I am absolutely dumbfounded at the amount of money being tossed around right now. I understand the appeal to vintage cards. But the prices are just unreal. And as AC mentioned if I had 125K laying around a baseball card would be the furthest from my mind. The only card that I would have ever considered dropping serious cash for may have been a 52 Topps Mantle. But now that a PSA 4 goes for 50+ No thanks. Unsustainable IMO.
Hypothetically If you took away the big fish right now PWCC auctions, would vintage really be this explosive? IDK maybe but seems these guys have really pushed the envelope and have opened Pandora's box on the vintage market. At the very least the exposure has gotten much more visible to the ridiculous prices.

But the people spending $125k (at least in my opinion) , have the $125k plus a whole bunch more of the $125ks lying around. And yes some of these eBay sellers have huge sales, but really nothing compared to the amounts some of the auction house items bring. There are buyers out there you'll never know about spending millions a year on cards/memorabilia.

Ryan

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
But the people spending $125k (at least in my opinion) , have the $125k plus a whole bunch more of the $125ks lying around. And yes some of these eBay sellers have huge sales, but really nothing compared to the amounts some of the auction house items bring. There are buyers out there you'll never know about spending millions a year on cards/memorabilia.

Ryan

What Ryan said. I buy from auction houses from time to time but rarely am I am able to find a real deal in those places. There are buyers who are devoted to auction houses and that's all. If you guys are not members of auction houses I would strongly recommend you register for as many as you can find. Even if you never buy a single card from them, as a collector and enthusiast of the hobby, I have the best time simply looking through the catalogs they send me. My wife tolerates our living room coffee table to have these catalogs on there all the time. The cool thing about it is I get a fresh new look about every quarter with new catalogs.

And I totally agree with [MENTION=12284]16christensen16[/MENTION], this card is surpassing $400k if not $500K. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it went higher than any of those figures. Four years ago this exact card sold for $157,366.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA

Ryan

I guess unless you have that kind of my money it is real hard to comprehend. Like real hard.

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
What Ryan said. I buy from auction houses from time to time but rarely am I am able to find a real deal in those places. There are buyers who are devoted to auction houses and that's all. If you guys are not members of auction houses I would strongly recommend you register for as many as you can find. Even if you never buy a single card from them, as a collector and enthusiast of the hobby, I have the best time simply looking through the catalogs they send me. My wife tolerates our living room coffee table to have these catalogs on there all the time. The cool thing about it is I get a fresh new look about every quarter with new catalogs.

And I totally agree with [MENTION=12284]16christensen16[/MENTION], this card is surpassing $400k if not $500K. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it went higher than any of those figures. Four years ago this exact card sold for $157,366.

It's going huge! Pete Rose is a very popular rookie card, and this is the only 10

Members online