Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
I've always loved some of the early 90's inserts, especially the "rookie focused" inserts from Donruss, Fleer, Leaf and Pinnacle (the classic being the 1992 Fleer Rookie Sensations set). Even more, I remember really loving those sets that had shiny black borders. And though I didn't realize it at the time, since condition and centering mattered not to me back then, those black bordered cards are damn hard to find in mint condition.

for my PC, I knew I wanted to try and go back in town and track some of them down...here's a few I most enjoy, 4 of the 5 were actually submitted by me to BGS

1992 Donruss Rookie Phenoms Mike Piazza

2obcaJn

1993 Fleer Major League Prospects Mike Piazza and Pedro Martinez

2oahGvT
2sCRSgm

1993 Pinnacle Pedro Martinez (okay, not an insert set, but part of the Rookie Prospect checklist)

2EEBWQF

1993 Pinnacle Rookie Team Pinnacle Mike Piazza (loved these cards! who didn't love getting a dual sided card and the uniqueness of an artistic rendering of the player vs. a photo?)

2HucZ7U

feel free to share yours!

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
So happy right now - just completed my 1997 Donruss Gold Rockies Press Proofs set! I've been looking for one of these for years, kinda crapped myself when it showed up in my eBay saved search feed:

s-l1600.jpg

Lame... got this card in and it's severely trimmed. I've never had this issue before. Should I just keep this and continue the search for another? There's a significant portion of the card missing, it's hard to tell where it was trimmed (top or bottom) though.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
That's a major bummer, I can see the space in the holder. I guess it depends on how much you have wrapped up in the card as to whether I'd keep it or not. Either way I'd inform the seller and see what they might do for you. If they are nice and cut you a break that's great but f they are a jerk about it that might mean they knew then I'd lay into em.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Lame... got this card in and it's severely trimmed. I've never had this issue before. Should I just keep this and continue the search for another? There's a significant portion of the card missing, it's hard to tell where it was trimmed (top or bottom) though.

EOwlnbal.jpg

FmcNxInl.jpg

Top of the card is trimmed. Bummer. I'm gonna keep it to finish up the team set, and hopefully find another one down the road. Sucks because this is the first time I've ever seen this card. You'd think a /500 Griffey card from 1997 would be fairly easy to locate.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
That sucks. Wonder if it’s a printing issue? Not sure why someone would trim it that much.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2008
Same as gjb - why on earth would someone trim a 1997 Donruss card that much? I would guess maybe an epically bad corner ding seeing as that foil is super sensitive, or maybe a printing problem too. And at $40 you paid good money for it. Sorry for the bad news. I added this card to my tracker list - I sometimes buy out Galarraga collections, and might come across one buried in there.

RudyGayExquisite

Sep 1, 2008
I was going thru some old boxes and found some Cramer's Choice Jumbo cards. I think there are around 20-25 total. Not sure what year, late 90s, probably 1998 or 1999.

If anyone might be interested, please let me know. Condition isn't the best on most of them, maybe nrmt-mt. But there are a lot of bigger names like Frank Thomas Jeter, Griffey in there.

Ripkenfan126

Jan 5, 2017
I was going thru some old boxes and found some Cramer's Choice Jumbo cards. I think there are around 20-25 total. Not sure what year, late 90s, probably 1998 or 1999.

If anyone might be interested, please let me know. Condition isn't the best on most of them, maybe nrmt-mt. But there are a lot of bigger names like Frank Thomas Jeter, Griffey in there.

Any Ripken?

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I've never heard of this type before! Do you know if all die cuts were affected like this in the set?

I honestly don't know Tanner; I think it's a safe assumption that any card on the same sheet with Frank probably has the variation. I didn't realize it's pretty uncommon until just recently.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Gents - updated the 1998 Pinnacle Certified BaseballCardPedia page, which was long overdue.

If you have any additional information not listed and/or have a correction to make, please PM me and let me know. Enjoy.

Working on updating the Pinnacle Certified section of the 1998 Epix page along with the 1998 Select page next.

Last edited:

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!

Isn't the theory that one of each was held back and ended up being sold in the bankruptcy? I have one of the Kile cards and don't really care which version it is. I'd just grab the cheapest one and be happy.

Loyalty32

Dec 7, 2008
1991 Stadium Club Credit Card Variations? "Hobby"

Does anyone know how many variations of these were made? I know you could put your name on them. I assume you could probably put any name on it you wanted. I have only seen a few with Ken Griffey, Jr. as a name. All of them that I have seen have "Charter" on them. The one below has "Hobby" on it. I can't find another one listed with Hobby. Has anyone else seen a Griffey/Hobby or any listed with Hobby?

Thanks
Craig

https://flic.kr/p/KhiNNV

Members online