Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Scotty is back!!! Huge mailday......team set finally complete, T3 style!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
...but not back for long, out of monies now. ;)

This mail is from the past month...I'll start with the 'smallest' pickup, both literally and figuratively.

This is arguably my favorite set of all time, 1909 E90-1 American Caramel. This one doesn't come up for sale too often so I had to have it. My second Charley Hall (M116) and the second E90-1 I've owned (Stahl).....absolutely love the horizontal layout.

20170208_163743_zpszsgeg13o.jpg

20170208_163808_zps26byzmqv.jpg

Next up is a card I've wanted for ages for my Sox PC. As a lot of you know I'm a huge auto'ed vintage card collector, but I have been wanting a certain player for a long time. This player is a fan favorite for most Red Sox fans who grew up in this era as he was young, handsome, and home-grown. He was pretty much a Red Sox version of Mickey Mantle. He was the first teenager to hit 20HRs in a season, and at the time he was the youngest player to hit 100 HR. Who knows how his career would have turned out had he listened to Bill Monbouquette who tried to tell him to turn away from inside pitches, not towards the pitcher:

tonyc_zpsilssdn37.jpg

Tony Conigliaro:

20170208_163932_zps3ztulcun.jpg

:D

Love this card, looks amazing in person, perfect sig and in the right spot. Extremely happy with this one!

Next is a gift I got from my Grandfather for Christmas. He's had it for quite some time and he said it was time to pass it on to me since he knows I'm a massive Red Sox fan. He told me in the late 40's (46' iirc, he was 14 at the time) there was going to be a Sox/Yanks exhibition game in his home town, but sadly it got cancelled because of weather. All of the players had been there on the bus, and my grandfather was going to be playing in the band at the game. His teacher knew how much he loved the Red Sox/baseball so he got him on the bus to meet all of the players. He wasn't expecting to get to meet them so he used scrap paper to get their autographs. He said all of the players he met were extremely nice and it was a day he'll never forget:

ef0fe5be-6b9f-4c22-ae08-ba00e6b84fd4_zpshdfg9wye.jpg

My favorite Yankee item in my collection :D

20170208_164218_zpsjpycdd1w.jpg

(Joe "Burrhead" Dobson - Sox, Allen "Two Gun" Gettel - Yanks, Clarance "Cuddles" Marshall - Yanks, Joe "Flash" Gordon - Yanks)

20170208_164305_zpsbddjtibc.jpg

(Earl "Lefty" Johnson - Sox, Bill "Goober" Zuber - Sox/Yanks, Larry "Yogi" Berra - Yanks, Dom "Little Professor" Dimaggio - Sox)

20170208_164341_zpsh5rygcud.jpg

(Tom Mcbride - Sox, Joe Cronin [manager] - Sox :) )

20170208_164414_zpsvtjuow6h.jpg

(Dave "Boo" Ferriss - Sox, George "Catfish" Metkovich - Sox, Bill Zuber (2nd) )

20170208_164434_zps5drkbh4e.jpg

(Ted "Splendid Splinter" Williams - Sox :D :D :D , Bobby Doerr - Sox :)

Very cool :) and it was my first Teddy Ballgame auto!! This will be in my collection for a very very long time.

Okay now to the good part.....here's a set I've been working on for several years now. I've had 5/6 for a long time but the Tris Speaker alluded me. I've had to turn down a couple in the past because of budget constraints, or been outbid, etc.....well the price was right with this one and even better with the 10% off coupon. I present to you one of my new favorite cards, fellow HOFer:

20170208_163036_zpscejbkuo2.jpg
20170208_163129_zpsfcwotvxc.jpg

1911 T3 Turkey Red Tris Speaker #36 :D :D

BEAUTIFUL card in person...these are literally works of art! To think at one point I never thought I'd own a Tris Speaker card, now I own three! ;)

....and here they are all together, pretty much my first ever completed set LOL:

20170208_163458_zpsm3huqhcf.jpg

:) :) :) :) :)

(Top left: Harry Lord, Top center: Tris Speaker, Top right: Bill Carrigan [Ad Back], Bottom left: Harry Niles [Ad Back], Bottom center: Amby McConnell, Bottom right: Jake Stahl)

Big thanks to [MENTION=2031]jay1065[/MENTION] for trading the T3 Jake Stahl to me way back in our infamous "Stahl for Stahl" deal. :cool:

That's it for today, thank you all for looking and as always comments are appreciated. Have 2 more cards coming in, I'll update this thread with them when they arrive.

-Scott

[MENTION=1899]rebelpawn[/MENTION] [MENTION=1987]Doerrcollector[/MENTION] [MENTION=2289]Zan[/MENTION]

Last edited:

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
WOW nice stuff. So you mean you never knew your Grandpa's story and the autos?
Either way nice stuff. Save some money for fantasy baseball lol I will try to get a league started
before end of this month.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Amazing story, thank you for sharing! That T3 is unreal, so much eye appeal with that card I'm so happy that you found one for yourself!

Also, that Conigliaro auto is pretty special, his story is very sad and is definitely a “what if".

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Tony Conigliaro:

20170208_163932_zps3ztulcun.jpg

:D

Love this card, looks amazing in person, perfect sig and in the right spot. Extremely happy with this one!
?
What a beautiful auto example. If you do not mind, how much did you spend on this one? I mainly collect company certified autos but with some exceptions, like a player not having a certified copy available because of being deceased, and would love to add his auto.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Psshhh. T3s are stupid.

Said nobody who has ever had the pleasure to own at least one!

Fantastic pickups, Scotty, but especially the Speaker. I love love love me some T3s!

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Forgot to mention, there is a Johnny Pesky autograph not pictured.....on the other side of Ted Williams sig ::facepalm:: haha

?
What a beautiful auto example. If you do not mind, how much did you spend on this one? I mainly collect company certified autos but with some exceptions, like a player not having a certified copy available because of being deceased, and would love to add his auto.
I paid a shade under $190 for it although right after I bought mine a seller (ebay id: roberferri_viqgp) put several up for auction, that went unsold at $150/$175 starting bids. He might relist them soon.

Wow...just....wow!

Nice additions, l really like the signed program.

Ryan
Thank you Ryan, it's a neat piece. The autobiography is from 1946, I'm think I'll read it within the next few weeks to get me ready for the baseball season.

But seriously great adds! Love that T3 set
I'll agree with you Lance, pretty meh.....no BGS gem mints here! ;) I'll have to find my camera so I can take a better picture of the set, my phone doesn't do it justice.

WOW nice stuff. So you mean you never knew your Grandpa's story and the autos?
Either way nice stuff. Save some money for fantasy baseball lol I will try to get a league started
before end of this month.
Thanks Rob! Surprisingly I did not know about my grandfathers story and autos, I knew he had some nice memorabilia pieces but didn't know he had this one. He wasn't as involved with his grandchildren as he should have been while we were growing up, but I think he's started to regret that because he's been in contact with me a lot more ever since I've moved out of state. Yeah when you get the league details sorted out shoot me a pm.

Amazing story, thank you for sharing! That T3 is unreal, so much eye appeal with that card I'm so happy that you found one for yourself!

Also, that Conigliaro auto is pretty special, his story is very sad and is definitely a “what if".
Thanks Brian, much appreciated bud. It looks awesome in person, I love how much he stands out from the backdrop.

I would have loved to see Tony C's career played out....he probably would have been the 2nd best Red Sox hitter of all time, easily. But that's all in hindsight, now he's just a prime example of what not to do when a pitcher throws inside.

Holy smokes!

Fordman
Hey when I do a mailday, I do it right. ;)

Great stuff!

Psshhh. T3s are stupid.

Said nobody who has ever had the pleasure to own at least one!

Fantastic pickups, Scotty, but especially the Speaker. I love love love me some T3s!
I thought you might appreciate my mailday. :D Scans/pics do not do them justice as you very well know. Love your sig! How long did it take you to complete the set??

Good stuff, and thanks for sharing!

Thank you Brad, hopefully I can start posting maildays on a fairly regular basis again.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Come by more often, even if you don't have pickups to show off. :)

I still lurk quite often Chris....I'm usually more active posting wise during the baseball season. This site is still second to none in terms of member base, although I wish a lot of the older members were still around.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I thought you might appreciate my mailday. :D Scans/pics do not do them justice as you very well know. Love your sig! How long did it take you to complete the set??
It took me a shade over 14 months. For some reason, George Bell took me over six months to track down.

I really should track down at least one more. I needed some balance in my sig, so I included a shot of an ad back, but I don't actually own one. I need to research whether or not any of my players are available with that back and if so, swap it out.

Congrats again on the awesome pickups.

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
Great stuff, Scott! Great to see you landed the Speaker. IMO, Hall is one of the best looking E90-1 subjects. Congrats!

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
Scotty is back!!! That alone is a great thing to see!
But those pickups?!?! Oh man I nearly had to change my pants!
I'm speechless my friend, completely amazing!!!!!!!

That Speaker..... It's just beautiful!

Congrats on the pickups and don't be such a stranger!!!!

Members online