Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Card Storage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
OK, I want to redo the way I am storing my cards, to help streamline searching thru them and to make them more organized. I have numerous binders and they have seen better days. Purpose of this is to say exactly what I want to accomplish and see what the best solution is.

What I want:
Every card at least in a toploader (commons). Parallels in snap tight or 1-screw (memorabilia/serial numbered cards). I do not have and graded cards, but have 3 autos that came in Beckett holders. Would a 5000 ct. box work? I've heard people talk about Container Store products. Doesn't necesarily need to be in one box, but I don't want 5 or more either. I plan on putting every card in order by year. So then it will be simple to check if I have it or not. My mom has an old US Postal Service safe that I would love to use, but I don't have room for it at the moment and don't know how I'd get it to Iowa.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I currently have 6 full binders and 5 full boxes...I am not sure what size the boxes are, but tall enough for hard sleeves, magnetic or 1-screw, and there is three rows. Super shoe box, I think. Binders hold commons up to $10, the boxes hold everything else. (I also have a larger box for all the odd shaped stuff). I wish I could get everything into one box like you are saying, so I would be curious on suggestions, too. I just couldn't imagine putting all the cards from the binders into hard sleeves, as that would fill a lot more boxes!!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Well, from my own experience, if you want to do stuff in toploaders and snaptights, the 5000 ct. won't work. Only the three row boxes have enough width per row to allow this and also the height on the 5000 ct. boxes isn't enough for them either. I'd just go three row boxes until you are done. But as far as commons, I can't see the need to put them in toploaders. In my opinion, anything rare or serial numbered goes into a toploader. If it's rare rare(like I paid like $50 or more for it) or auto'd I usually put it in a one touch. I've got two bigger containers for oversized stuff as well. I've got more boxes than I'd like but I figure they are as best protected as I can make them. And they are all separated by year. The only thing I've been trying to do lately is get them sorted by brand. Eventually I'll have that done and it will be cake to find stuff.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Putting your commons in Top Loads is gonna get real expensive real quick. But putting them loose in 5000 count boxes will work just fine. Just make sure they're not on the ground, in case of flooding or a spill.

And "Shoe boxes" come in 2 or 3 rows and fit Top Loads and Magnetic holders perfectly. Try and avoid screwdowns if possible, alot of times the cards' top will stick to it after a while...

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
OH, and lay your binders down instead of upright, the sheets will eventually bend from the weight of the cards...

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Right now I have my binders laying down. I was going to buy supplies at the Chicago Show, but I couldn't remember what all I needed and hadn't really decided what I wanted to do. I still need some 1 screw holders and 1500 toploaders/penny sleeves should do me for the time being. Should any dealer have the 3 row boxes?

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
For my player collection I go penny sleeve, top loader for commons. Then penny sleeve, top loader, and team bag for higher end stuff. Unless its too thick to fit into a top loader.

Outside of a graded case I've found the penny sleeve, top loader, then inside a team bag the best protection. And it doesn't take up a huge amount of space compared to one touches or screw downs.

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
Fellow Henderson collector :D, I have every common in a penny sleeve and toploader. Every parallel that is lower numbered or higher value is penny sleeved, toploader and team bagged. All patch cards are in one screws. All autos are in magnetic holders. I have 4 5k count boxes, 3 which are in order from 77-present, and one that is filled without row dividers with all the oddball items, from the various years. I can show you photos of it all, but it works well. Easy to decipher by year with the format I am using, where the higher end items are, and what patches/autos I have. I keep the regular game used in just soft penny/toploaders in order with the rest. I didn't want to weigh down the boxes or my wallet doing each GU, too expensive.

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
I also team bag all the one screws and magnetics so they don't get scratched to death. I am picky, what can I say. Organized by Beckett checklist by year. Only things that won't fit are slabs.

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
IMG_1551.jpg

So this won't fit
:twisted::twisted::evil::evil:

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
That's what I want to do. Where do I get the boxes and what are they called?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
[Applause] This looks almost identical to my player collections! Well done! Player Collectors respect commons biznatches!

Yeah, I do respect commons. But as my bagwell collection sits now, I've already got like 5 three row boxes stuffed. Can you imagine how many boxes it would take if all the commons were in toploaders? I think they'd be easier to sort through for sure but it would just be uneconomical. I do however keep every card I own, bagwell or not, in a penny sleeve at the very least. I can't stand seeing cards just loose in a box with no sleeve whatsoever. The surface damage makes me grit my teeth just thinking about it.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Well I must admit I only keep one copy of each base in a toploader. Dupes of base are in a separate box.
And of course my checklists are much more manageable than a Bagwell's for example

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
I used to store my Ozzie collection in albums but the pages started to bend. I now keep them all in top loaders with penny sleeves. My father-in-law and kids built this wooden box for me a few years ago for fathers day. The box is appx 24"x24"x7" and it holds about 1000 regular size toploaders and almost all of the odd size large toploaders. I really like it because it has a lid that slides on/off and I put a foam mat on the bottom of each individual section to help reduce the force of the toploader dropping on to the wood base. The only downside is that it is heavy. I had to put some heavy duty handles on the side.

20121127_1857502.jpg

20121127_1850292.jpg

20121127_1850132.jpg

Members online