Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ryan Braun linked to PED Clinic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
So to beat a PED charge you would employ a known PED peddler?
To beat a murder charge you'd consult OJ Simpson?

All it would take is one cross examination, "Mr. Braun, do you know or have any association with anyone who supplies PEDs?"

"Uh, yeah. I have one on my payroll, for advice."

"No further questions."

Sure, one would hire the subject matter expert with the greatest experience and knowledge of the system you're working under if possible.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Sure, one would hire the subject matter expert with the greatest experience and knowledge of the system you're working under if possible.

I'd hire the subject matter expert with the greatest experience and knowledge of the system that WOULDN'T implicate me. Retired doping official, retired chemist, not a guy pushing drugs out of the trunk of his car.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I'd hire the subject matter expert with the greatest experience and knowledge of the system that WOULDN'T implicate me. Retired doping official, retired chemist, not a guy pushing drugs out of the trunk of his car.

Apparently no such *effective* SMEs were to be had with adequate understanding of the MLB and its rules and policies.

Additionally when Braun's team was using this guy they didn't have to worry about public perception (news hadn't leaked) and probably didn't expect to have to worry about it.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Hive, I've read your article posted and the fangraphs article. Nobody can say for certain that Braun took anything from Bosch. What is certain was that he failed a prior drug test and lied. The name on the ledger isn't the damning evidence, it's Braun's phony ass. Smoke. Fire.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI

I'm not sure what's more delusional about this situation. The fact you believe this guy was selling out of his car or that you feel a defense hiring an ex-criminal or other shady character as an expert witness doesn't happen ALL THE FREAKING TIME.

People have built careers out of it. Ever see "Catch Me If You Can"?

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
So to beat a PED charge you would employ a known PED peddler?
To beat a murder charge you'd consult OJ Simpson?

All it would take is one cross examination, "Mr. Braun, do you know or have any association with anyone who supplies PEDs?"

"Uh, yeah. I have one on my payroll, for advice."

"No further questions."
I'm actually most disappointed in you in this thread for not just going with PEDdler.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I'm not sure what's more delusional about this situation. The fact you believe this guy was selling out of his car or that you feel a defense hiring an ex-criminal or other shady character as an expert witness doesn't happen ALL THE FREAKING TIME.

Loved the book and movie. I love the twist at the end of the story. Guy stiffs banks on who knows how much money and ends up being paid by the same banks to help protect against fraud.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula

You do see that he's not saying Bosch is actually selling out of his trunk, yes? The point is find a credible witness/expert because you just know that at this point no matter how careful you are eventually it will leak.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
You do see that he's not saying Bosch is actually selling out of his trunk, yes? The point is find a credible witness/expert because you just know that at this point no matter how careful you are eventually it will leak.

Of course. It was an attempt to dilute the actual seriousness and scale of the offender. I get it. Ask yourself (and JBHoffman) if this guy wasn't at the top of his field, how'd these players find the person in the first place. Balco wasn't a secret. And if I was implicated in an investigation you better believe I would instruct my lawyers to get their opinion. If they hadn't already instructed me that they were already doing so....

We're literally talking about tens of millions of dollars here. I'm sure Braun was fine with the $30,000 payment to this lab. Or whatever it was.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana

Of course they are hired all the time. When your client is the current NL MVP and cannot risk a public lynching I'd assume that you would consult a "clean" expert.

Maybe you guys are right. Braun may just be the anti-Gehrig, "the unluckiest man on the face of the earth".

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Of course they are hired all the time. When your client is the current NL MVP and cannot risk a public lynching I'd assume that you would consult a "clean" expert.

Maybe you guys are right. Braun may just be the anti-Gehrig, "the unluckiest man on the face of the earth".

I'm going to speculate that they weren't the only opinions they sought. The oddest thing here is that there are all sorts of privacy/ethics guidelines that probably have to be followed to let this story reach the public. I'm guessing that if they did a deposition with this company or something formal that the entire record would have to be released to the public. Braun may not want that. I realize this is highly speculative. But there have always been rumors about what Braun was really hiding.....

And throughout all this (Remember, I'm not where you guys are, I'm in the "Mecca" of this story), there was always something that I felt Braun was hiding that was completely unrelated and have been watching to see if this hypothesis stuck to what he's said. And so far, Braun hiding something unrelated has still is plausible.

And another thing. People can bring up failed levels of testosterone all they want. There were three or four other test within proximity of that test that didn't show a thing. (Not directed at you two)

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
And another thing. People can bring up failed levels of testosterone all they want. There were three or four other test within proximity of that test that didn't show a thing. (Not directed at you two)

I think most people still consider the cheaters to be ahead of the curve on this stuff though so 3 clean tests around the same time means little to nothing. I might buy the consultation excuse but it doesn't change my opinion of him having tested positive. The real question here is where is [MENTION=3231]brauny[/MENTION]?

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I think most people still consider the cheaters to be ahead of the curve on this stuff though so 3 clean tests around the same time means little to nothing. I might buy the consultation excuse but it doesn't change my opinion of him having tested positive. The real question here is where is @brauny?

Then this all boils down to weather you thing that the single failed test was an aberration or a true result. I'm certainly willing to give Braun the benefit of the doubt due to the other tests and the fact that the incriminating example was tampered with.

How many tests has Braun passed in the last year? Five?

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Then this all boils down to weather you thing that the single failed test was an aberration or a true result. I'm certainly willing to give Braun the benefit of the doubt due to the other tests and the fact that the incriminating example was tampered with.

How many tests has Braun passed in the last year? Five?
unfortunately, in the post-Lance Armstrong world we live in we can't take a negative test at face value any more. Sadly, passing a drug test doesn't mean an athlete isn't using. The cheaters work very hard to stay ahead of those that would catch them. To me, this means NO athlete is above suspicion.

I've always liked Braun, but I thought he got over on the system when he allegedly tested positive after the 2011 season. I'm inclined to believe he's dirty, and these new reports only cement that belief.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
An article on the other side of the issue.

Ryan Braun: Poor guy just can't seem to catch a break - Baseball Nation

So when PED pusher Anthony Bosch writes a note to the guy who took the blame for Melky Cabrera's fake website to avoid a PED suspension - and that note references "the 'Braun' advantage" - we should just take Ryan Braun's word for it that had nothing to do with Braun taking PEDs?

The letter was written after Melky was busted and sent to the guy who made his fake website. The 'Braun' Advantage could be a reference to the chain of custody loop hole just as easily as it could be a reference to Bosch's "special potion." It could mean just about anything at this point and only one guy knows what that is.

alwayson22

Dec 6, 2010
San Jose, CA
Tom Verducci:
"If you accept Braun's explanation, when he was in his darkest hour -- fighting MLB on a positive drug test -- to gather expertise he went to someone who not only is not a doctor and not licensed to practice medicine, not considered to have expertise in chain of custody issues, but who also had been connected by MLB and the DEA, and known to the players association, to the 2009 bust of Manny Ramirez; it was Bosch's father, Dr. Pedro Bosch, who wrote a prescription for a banned substance to Ramirez."

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Tom Verducci:
"If you accept Braun's explanation, when he was in his darkest hour -- fighting MLB on a positive drug test -- to gather expertise he went to someone who not only is not a doctor and not licensed to practice medicine, not considered to have expertise in chain of custody issues, but who also had been connected by MLB and the DEA, and known to the players association, to the 2009 bust of Manny Ramirez; it was Bosch's father, Dr. Pedro Bosch, who wrote a prescription for a banned substance to Ramirez."

Less verbose way of saying it: Braun went to a guy who had extensive PED MLB experience for assistance - I'm guessing Verducci gets paid by the word.

Members online

Latest posts