Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2008 Tampa Bay Rays DAV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Does anyone know why cards from this set tend to be so hard to find? In five years I've only seen one copy of the Jonny Gomes card, whereas other DAV sets, such as those from 2006 and 2007, are much more plentiful. Despite listing the 2005 and 2006 D Rays sets, Beckett does not list this one (or the 2007 set).

I've always assumed that all these sets were stadium giveaways, although if some were and others weren't, that may account for the disparity in availability. Does anyone know for sure how these were distributed over the years?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Could have just been a very poorly attended game so less made it out the door. I have wondered if these were available at other events though but that all probably varies from city to city. As for why Beckett doesn't list some its probably as simple as no one has sent them a checklist yet. [MENTION=3754]MansGame[/MENTION] has some experience getting them to add cards

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
2002... Saw it on ebay (together with Berkman and Biggio, which Nick has now). Have never seen it before, or after the listing where i got it.

2002%20DAV.jpg

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
I know a DAV person that was involved with these and I will try to contact him . He does read post here but I don't know of him posting . I have several years of minors and large NFL cards

Last edited:

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
08DAV.jpg

08DAVB.jpg

Given out at Wednesday, June 18, 2008 home game. Attendence was 31,500. Good attendence because it was Lou Pinella's first series return to Tampa since taking Cubs manager position, and Cubs interleague games draw lots of Chicago fans in Florida.

Don't know how many sets were produced. I've seen a few Zim's listed, but DAV sets in general aren't too numerous.

Last edited:

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Given out at Wednesday, June 18, 2008 home game. Attendence was 31,500. Good attendence because it was Lou Pinella's first series return to Tampa since taking Cubs manager position, and Cubs interleague games draw lots of Chicago fans in Florida.

Don't know how many sets were produced. I've seen a few Zim's listed, but DAV sets in general aren't too numerous.

Thanks for the great information! I have to doubt that Piniella was much of a draw for Tampa fans, unless they turned out to boo him.

Interestingly, the promotion does not appear to have been part of the official promotional calendar: http://www.tuffstuff.com/news/baseball/2008_mlb_stadium_giveaway_schedule_2

The Brewers, by contrast, had it on their calendar, with sets given out to the first 20,000 fans.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
"The 2008 DAV Day at the Ballpark program provides Departments, Chapters and members the opportunity to be a part of America’s game.

The program continues to grow and evolve, with Departments and Chapters working with their local teams to set up games across the country.

At many events, Departments and Chapters are honored by throwing out the ceremonial first pitch. In addition to playing the DAV video, “Heroes Helping Heroes,” disabled veterans participating in opening ceremonies are give on-field introductions and honored for their service and sacrifices. Several teams distribute DAV baseball cards, and thousands of DAV members and their invited guests from VA medical centers and nursing homes attend events.

The 2008 season promises to be thrilling as teams line up to order collectible DAV cards for their star players.

2008 DAV Day at the Ballpark Schedule

Home Team Game Date Opponent
*Seattle Mariners Tuesday, April 1 Rangers
Houston Astros Sunday, May 4 Brewers
Milwaukee Brewers Saturday, May 10 Cardinals
Cincinnati Reds Friday, May 30 Braves
*Detroit Tigers Tuesday, June 10 White Sox
Seattle Mariners Saturday, June 14 Nationals
Tampa Bay Rays Wednesday, June 18 Cubs
Kansas City Royals Saturday, June 21 Giants
Florida Marlins Tuesday, July 1 Nationals
*San Francisco Giants Wednesday, July 2 Cubs
*Arizona Diamondbacks Friday, July 4 Padres
San Diego Padres Tuesday, July 8 Marlins
Pittsburgh Pirates Sunday, July 13 Cardinals
Washington Nationals Sunday, July 13 Astros
Baltimore Orioles Saturday, July 19 Tigers
New York Yankees Monday, July 28 Baltimore
Minnesota Twins Sunday, Aug. 3 Indians
*Oakland A’s Saturday, Aug. 16 White Sox
St. Louis Cardinals Saturday, Aug. 23 Braves
*San Diego Padres Sunday, Sept. 14 Giants
Texas Rangers Sunday, Sept. 21 Angels
*Colorado Rockies Sunday, Sept. 21 Diamondbacks

*Veterans Appreciation Games"

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
2008 was year they trimmed back on Major league to 25,000 total packs . Teams would order players they wanted / amount of packs . Last year cards made no major and only 2500 minor packs . this is reply I got from contact in DC . this was per team . Rays would place large order = season ticket holders got a gift bag with a set in it. update; some teams got up to 60,000 and most were only given out at one game .
BTW there are some uncut sheets . My contact has some for sale - I don't know teams

Last edited:

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
gracecollector and tramers, that's really great information. Thanks!

Members online