Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Photo of the Day Thursday January 23, 2013 Frank Robby and the man many love to hate!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Let me first apologize for the sproadic photo of the day posts. Work has been kicking my butt for about 4 weeks now and it is hard to get on the boards for even a few minutes to post anything. For those who enjoy these posts I will do my best to get back to a regular basis with these posts.

I saw this photo today and thought how simple a photo it is yet how great of a photo it is. We have Frank Robinson scoring during a game in 1966 against the Cardinals powerhouse team that would find incredible success in that decade. Standing in front of Robinson as he scores is everyone's most hated announcer who finally retired after last year, Tim McCarver. Love him or hate him he did have a long career in the majors with the Cardinals and Phillies and he has a few rings to prove he was a winner. As a announcer...well lets just say he reinvented himself as on air talent and managed to stay on that job for a good long time as well

Getting back to the photo, once again this photo stops the action into asnap shot in time. One can only imagine the ball being thrown back to the infield with McCarver anticipating the throw to the plate that never happened.

I hope you enjoy today's photo of the day.

1527010_684742591547278_1698916475_n_zps4a8a9bc6.jpg

Bonds73

Aug 7, 2008
Great shot as always, but had to be prior to 1966 as Frank was traded to the Orioles late in 1965 and led them to the World Series Championship and won the Triple Crown in 1966.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
After some quick research, I have come to the dubious conclusion that this is from the second inning of the game played 4/18/65. As MaineMule notes, the 3rd base line is pretty clean and the bleachers are full, so it's probably early in the game. From the scoring described here: http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1965/B04180SLN1965.htm, no one scored in the first inning. Robinson led off the second with a triple. After Deron Johnson made an infield out, Tony Perez singled. The bat laying by the right-handed batter's box would indicate a right-handed hitter (which Perez was). Assuming a clean hit to RF, there would likely be no play at the plate and Robinson would score easily, as indicated by the fact that McCarver, while ready to do something, hadn't dropped his mask yet. Obviously, this could be a number of other games as McCarver reached the majors in 1959 and was the regular catcher by 1963, and the Reds played in St. Louis 9 times a year after 1960. However, cross-referencing the games in which Robinson scored a run and McCarver played seems to point to this particular game, though I could easily have missed something. Maybe something in the uniforms also points to a particular season.

mchenrycards

After some quick research, I have come to the dubious conclusion that this is from the second inning of the game played 4/18/65. As MaineMule notes, the 3rd base line is pretty clean and the bleachers are full, so it's probably early in the game. From the scoring described here: http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1965/B04180SLN1965.htm, no one scored in the first inning. Robinson led off the second with a triple. After Deron Johnson made an infield out, Tony Perez singled. The bat laying by the right-handed batter's box would indicate a right-handed hitter (which Perez was). Assuming a clean hit to RF, there would likely be no play at the plate and Robinson would score easily, as indicated by the fact that McCarver, while ready to do something, hadn't dropped his mask yet. Obviously, this could be a number of other games as McCarver reached the majors in 1959 and was the regular catcher by 1963, and the Reds played in St. Louis 9 times a year after 1960. However, cross-referencing the games in which Robinson scored a run and McCarver played seems to point to this particular game, though I could easily have missed something. Maybe something in the uniforms also points to a particular season.

Excellent detective work!

Bonds73

Aug 7, 2008
Big crowd in the outfield bleachers for an April day game (love the research, myself I do not have the free time to look up what day of the week 4/18/65 was).

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Crowd of 13,754

Cool pic even though I absolutely can't stand McCarver and am very glad he retired, lol.

mchenrycards

One of my favorite quotes about McCarver comes from Bob Gibson who said to McCarver when he came to the mound during a game to talk to Gibby. "The only thing you know about pitching is you can't hit it".

I remember McCarver was on the announcing team for the 1984 National League playoffs and I was assigned to stay with the announcing team. I opened the limo door for Mr. McCarver and out hopped a younger looking woman looking quite pissed off. Behind her was a scowling McCarver who took one look at the flags blowing stiffly, straight out to center field and said...."the wind is blowing out...the Cubs are gonna lose". The Cubs won that game by a score of 13-0 with Cey and Dernier hitting one home run each, Sarge Matthews hitting two and Rick Sutcliffe, the game's start hitting one as well. Shows ya what he knows! LOL

Members online

No members online now.