Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Those emeralds are tough, seems fairly "reasonable" for a Clark.

I got $200 for one of these earlier this year. I didn't really want to sell it, as a Clark collector, knowing I might never find another copy, but money is money. I needed the $200 slightly more than the card, which I only paid less than 50¢ for anyways.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
I got $200 for one of these earlier this year. I didn't really want to sell it, as a Clark collector, knowing I might never find another copy, but money is money. I needed the $200 slightly more than the card, which I only paid less than 50¢ for anyways.

In which case, there's more than one person changing the market. I'm not saying I would ever pay that, but the Clark market is what it is.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
In which case, there's more than one person changing the market. I'm not saying I would ever pay that, but the Clark market is what it is.

When I sold mine, I did some searching and found that the Quad Emerald sold for an average of over $150. There weren't many past sales I could find, maybe 5 or 6, but it is no secret that Clark collectors will go crazy when needed. On the other hand, Quad Emeralds in general often sell for way more than you'd expect, except some of the super-commons. Its the perfect storm of highly collected player and scarce set.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
When I sold mine, I did some searching and found that the Quad Emerald sold for an average of over $150. There weren't many past sales I could find, maybe 5 or 6, but it is no secret that Clark collectors will go crazy when needed. On the other hand, Quad Emeralds in general often sell for way more than you'd expect, except some of the super-commons. Its the perfect storm of highly collected player and scarce set.

Agreed. Despite being /150 they sure are difficult. Beautiful too!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

I didn't say there were not a few people who have paid high , but it's because of that one guy. If he isn't high bidder , he is 2nd (in rare cases) , which make the difference in to way the card ends at. He has all this stuff, and multiple copies of them. It's a hoarding thing for some reason. If you knew the prices some pieces have sold for offline , it's head scratching. If his bids were subtracted from a lot of these listings , the ending prices would dramatically shift , and those freaking out he is going to grab it before they do , overpay

Ryan

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
I didn't say there were not a few people who have paid high , but it's because of that one guy. If he isn't high bidder , he is 2nd (in rare cases) , which make the difference in to way the card ends at. He has all this stuff, and multiple copies of them. It's a hoarding thing for some reason. If you knew the prices some pieces have sold for offline , it's head scratching. If his bids were subtracted from a lot of these listings , the ending prices would dramatically shift , and those freaking out he is going to grab it before they do , overpay

Ryan

I don't envy Clark collectors. I do wish I had held on to this one:

ZGold_Clark.jpg

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Agreed. Despite being /150 they sure are difficult. Beautiful too!

odd I'm pretty sure my Griffey Quad is /56
[h=2]Parallels[/h] Black Diamond Double (Red, serial-numbered to 3,000)
Black Diamond Triple (Yellow, serial-numbered to 1,500)
Black Diamond Quadruple (Green, serial-numbered to 150)

1999blackdiaquad-1.jpg

Last edited:

djmilhaus

Sep 8, 2014
Seattle
odd I'm pretty sure my Griffey Quad is /56
Parallels

Black Diamond Double (Red, serial-numbered to 3,000)
Black Diamond Triple (Yellow, serial-numbered to 1,500)
Black Diamond Quadruple (Green, serial-numbered to 150)

1999blackdiaquad-1.jpg

Didn't they also do a Mystery Numbers set of Emeralds numbered to a player stat? Not sure if it was an insert set or another parallel... just going from memory so I may be way off.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Didn't they also do a Mystery Numbers set of Emeralds numbered to a player stat? Not sure if it was an insert set or another parallel... just going from memory so I may be way off.

According to baseballcardpedia.com, the Mystery Numbers insert set had an Emerald parallel, both were numbered to a player stat. The set info is here http://baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/1999_Black_Diamond. It doesn't list a Griffey numbered /56 though.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Griffey mystery numbers emerald is /2

Triples? I'm not sure...maybe they were scattered and it was a different stat for each player? I've never understood what the /22 for Bags meant. And /2 for Griffey is odd. But why have a /56 for Griffey for the quad version? This is weird...

snakebit95

Nov 20, 2010
Montgomery, AL
The Mystery Number Emeralds print run followed the card number in the set. For instance, Barry Bonds was M25 and had an emerald print run of 25 and the regular card print run of 2500. I'm pretty sure the other players followed the same system.

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
Griffey, McGwire, and Sosa were the outliers for the Quad Diamond parallel. Their quads were serial numbered to their previous home run totals. All other quads are numbered to 150.

The Mystery Number Emerald parallels are a completely different set, numbered between 1 and 30.

Members online

Latest posts