Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Panini lands Jeter autographs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

Derek Jeter autographs are coming to Panini America products soon.

The company teased the fact Saturday morning via its Instagram account with a photo of aX2002 Donruss Studio card bearing the signature of the recently retired New York Yankees shortstop whose next baseball appointment awaits in Cooperstown in five years.

Jeter hasn’t had any new certified autographs in any meaningful kind of volume since 2010 when Upper Deck bowed out of the MLBXcard market after losing its MLB Properties license and settling a trademark infringement lawsuit. (The company did release Jeter autographs in 2012 SP Signature Edition but thoseXdid not show him on the actual cards.)

Of Jeter’s 14,937 cards in the Beckett database — a collection worth more than $386,500 excluding rarities — there are X1,065 certified autographs. Upper Deck released 922 of those, while Fleer checked in with 79 and Topps released 30.

Details are still to come from Panini, but it’s a possibility that the Jeter autographs will make their debut in the second National Treasures baseball release, which was teased by the company earlier this year but has not yet been officially announced.

Attachments

• 1414285708760.jpg
    1414285708760.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 57

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
How worthless is it for him to quote Jeter collection values?

A) when it's coming from Beckett
B) when that includes nothing less than /25
C) when it's coming from Beckett

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
He was in other autographed sets too, like DLP, Action Packed, etc. The numbers don't seem to add up!

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
wowsers, Jeter Panini cards may actually have strong pricing power since they will be logo'ed (buyback, auto and re-release) rather than the discount you see on Panini's non-logo'ed products where you can get really affordable superstar autos.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Now THERE'S a smart company!

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008

If this passes the MLBP smell test (i.e. MLBP can't win a court case saying this violates logo usage without having a license or there is a loophole that makes logo'd buybacks legal to release), I'll have to give 100% credit to BG at leaf for doing it first!

Panini is just following some method Leaf has tried.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
If this passes the MLBP smell test (i.e. MLBP can't win a court case saying this violates logo usage without having a license or there is a loophole that makes logo'd buybacks legal to release), I'll have to give 100% credit to BG at leaf for doing it first!

Panini is just following some method
** LEAF** has tried.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online